Strike 3 for the elderette and me! (???) I never heard a JW talk SO much about Jesus!

by Faithful Witness 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Robert: She asked me if I wanted to continue, and I said I had to think about it. I told her I have been tossing it around in my mind, since the only in-depth perspective I have taken on "the bible" was using that guide published by the Watchtower. I feel that I need a better bible foundation, before I can really discuss things with her fairly. Right now, we have left it open-ended. I told her I would get back to her, and she said she'd check with me later in the week.

She really wants me to go through the Bible Teach book with her again, and I have to consider that. (I have a friend who is severely warning me to stay away from her, for my own protection... and I even told her that. She was very curious about my friend, and her beliefs. I told her I wasn't going to defend someone else's beliefs, as she started picking her apart).

Searcher: I tested the waters yesterday, when I told them I had read some of the recent articles. "I know what kind of things are being said about anyone who dares to question things." (we have agreed that we are only discussing what the bible says, so quoting the Watchtower is not going to work).

I even confessed that we had attended the meetings where they made adjustments last fall. I told her how curious it was, to see people suddenly come to life, when they got to the questions about the preaching WORK.

She quickly jumped in and asked me if she and Miss W had come and told her anything that was not found in the bible. (sigh)

It was somewhere around this time, when she opened the apostate door again for me. She said, "I know there is so much information on the internet... and I can tell you that 95% of it is lies." She also mentioned news or TV shows.

I didn't let her get away with that again. So I said, "Like what? What is one of the lies being spread on the internet?"

She paused to think of her answer. I was hoping for something juicy, but no... "Like that JW's don't belive in Jesus." (sigh again... REALLY? Please use google next time and get back to me with a different lie to defend!)

When she was trying to convince me to go through the Bible Teach book with her, I reminded her that I've done that whole book already. I told her what our experience was, with our first teacher. We got to the end of the book, and stumbled upon a video of an old Christian talk show. John Ankerberg was interviewing a panel of former Jehovah's witnesses. The things they said made our jaws drop. "I remember, I was bawling and saying that there had to be an explanation for the things they were saying..." I could tell they were getting nervous, so I didn't talk about anything that was said. I told her we were hoping that Elder E had a good explanation, so we showed him the video. After about 5 minutes, he said, "Oh, they are APOSTATES!!!" and he turned his back and refused to address anything these people were saying. I said to Miss K, "One of the ladies was of the annointed class. One man had worked for the writitng department, answering people's letters. There was another couple that was prominent in the organization. They were still Christians, and seemed like honest and sincere people. They were JW's! Just because they are no longer JW's, that means that everything they say is a lie???" I told her how Elder E had started going on about how these people were "fornicators! idolators! liars!" Then I did mention that we had asked him if he could get us a copy of the article about 1975, the magazine that the man was holding up... at this point, Miss W jumped in and said, "There were NEVER any predictions made about 1975!" I didn't push it, but I did want to ask her why she was in such a hurry to get baptized in 1973. (I know you are 75'ers... but we won't go there, when I don't have to prove anything in the past was wrong. What you are teaching today has enough holes).

She didn't really answer any of those concerns, but later said, "It sounds like some trust has been violated." I'm pretty sure she was talking about what I had told her about Elder E.

A few times she said, "It seems like there are some FLAGS being raised in your mind about the JW's." I kept hoping that she would say something like, "there's nothing wrong with being in a cult, if it pleases Jehovah..." hahaha I didn't go for the throat.

I do understand that Jesus told them to go and make disciples, and preach to the far corners of the earth. He did not, however, tell them to write it down and report it back to their congregation, so they could keep track. She did mention the numbers that were recorded, about how many were baptized, how many were at pentecost. I added, but there are no specific instructions from Jesus or even Paul, that they should continue to track their efforts and report how much time they are spending spreading the good news. "No, but Jehovah DID use specific men, and the people were supposed to follow their instructions..."

One other thing she brought up, and I think it was when we were still discussing whether Jesus actually told them to call Jehovah "Father," or by his name. She mentioned the Lord's Prayer. (she didn't know the whole thing by heart... I found that interesting). She said, "Do you think people realize what they are actually praying for, when they recite that prayer?" I gave her a puzzled look.

"Our Father, in the heavens, let your name be sanctified, Let your Kingdom come... Do they really think about what they are praying for?"

I said it was a nice prayer to say in unison with a large group, but most people do not probably think about that part of the prayer, no.

She said, "Do you think they realize that they are actually praying for Jehovah to cause destruction to this system, and that so many people are going to die at Armageddon before the Kingdom will be restored?" or something like that... like the people are praying for their own destruction. Did you ever think of that?? (No, most people don't think of the kingdom coming that way... I'd have to agree... haha)

I said, "I like the part about forgiveness, where we ask for forgiveness and remind ourselves to forgive each other. Forgiveness is one of the main points of that prayer, since that is what Christ came here to do for us."

This was leading into our discussion about why they decided to add Jehovah's name to the New Testament (and other changes in their new translation of the NWT).

• blondie
    blondie

I give you credit for trying. It is necessary to bring people back to the point and keep them there. After saying something like that here I had an opportunity to apply my own suggestions.

A leadworker at my job is always all over the place with explanations and conclusions. I kept her to the one point until she finally got it (after 5 interruptions by her and polite ones by me taking her back to what I understood what she was saying). We finally got to the same place and agreed and I could proceed. She does this with everyone so it must be her pattern. We we both happier that day and I think this will work again. My co-workers overheard and saw perhaps it could work with them.

But this was very telling in your case:

There was no more reaching her, because as soon as she can't answer something or back up her claims from the bible, she repeats the line, "Well, I just know the JW's have the truth. I just know it. i wouldn't be here, if I didn't know it."

This is a very common jw tactic. I had many questions myself as a jw that I could not explain to people at the door or at a study (mediator was one). I looked everything in the publications, queried some jws that I respected (found that they too had questions) and would go back and say that we don't have all the answers (Wait on God philosophy). But the WTS is not humble and gives an answer without bible support confident that they can drop if is found to be wrong in the future.

BLIND FAITH

*** w12 11/1 p. 23 Is Religious Faith an Emotional Crutch? ***

The Bible has much to say about faith. Yet nowhere does it encourage us to be gullible or naive. Nor does it condone mental laziness. On the contrary, it labels people who put faith in every word they hear as inexperienced, even foolish. (Proverbs 14:15, 18) Really, how foolish it would be for us to accept an idea as true without checking the facts! That would be like covering our eyes and trying to cross a busy street just because someone tells us to do it.

Rather than encouraging blind faith, the Bible urges us to keep our figurative eyes open so that we are not deceived. (Matthew 16:6) We keep our eyes open by using our “power of reason.” (Romans 12:1) The Bible trains us to reason on evidence and reach sound conclusions that are based on facts.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Blondie: Thanks for those references! Great points. I am learning a lot from this lady, and yesterday she told me she is enjoying the challenge, and the chance to defend her beliefs.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

An interesting and quirky anecdote, inserted in the conversation here by Miss W, who comes along as backup and is mostly quiet during the discussion.

She was talking about those big birds, the buzzards or vultures that eat dead bodies. We live in Michigan, and we don't see them a lot around here. I did see a couple last week, and I suspect that maybe it is because they are eating the leftover dead animals that are just now uncovered from the massive amount of snow we had this winter. We found a skull in our yard, probably from a raccoon. I'm sure the winter was very hard on the wildlife, too... but I haven't really thought about the birds. I just see the deer carcasses in the ditches and in the fields.

She said, "Well, I was talking to ___ the other day, and she was saying how she had seen more of them recently. Then we were together, and we saw a group of about EIGHT of them! We looked at each other, and said, 'Is this another sign of the END??!' "

I gave her an inquisitive look, and she shrunk a little in her chair, "You know, how the birds are going to feast on all the dead bodies at Armageddon..."

It was kind of awkward, and I guess no one wanted to go there (duh!) ... so I chuckled a little and said, "A little JW humor..." (smile)

It was kind of comical, but also made me feel so sorry for this poor woman. No wonder she is plagued with all these ailments, that keep her from serving as Jehovah intended... Maybe if she didn't spend so much time worrying, she would have the vitality to be a full time pioneer!!

They have not made any claims about being "happy," but if the truth is that scary, that it is causing delusions and day-mares... wow.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hi Faithful Witness,

Thanks for your experience, it looks like you're starting to have some fun with them. Well done for your well thought out questions that couldn't be answered by an elders wife and pioneer at that. It's always a pleasure to read your experiences, you are in a unique position with them. It would be great if you could actually help them out the cult.

Kate xx

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Thinking about Blondie WT qoute. Good points!

You can guarantee that elders and older pioneers will look up qoutes like these from WT and use them against brothers and sister. Very arrogant and condescending toward studies. Their tactic is to make people feel inferior as if they have more bible knowledge because if years of experience. Big mistake on my part in the past was not recognizing this tactic. The only experience they have is reading the bible and looking up information. That is not the same as reading the bible chapter.

This would be a really great come back,"how foolish it would be for us to accept an idea as true without checking the facts !" pause

"That would be like covering our eyes and trying to cross a busy street just because someone tells us to do it."

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

I never heard a JW talk SO much about Jesus!

Nothing but theocratic warfare bait & switch. Talk alot about Jesus in the initial phases of the Jehovah Witness cult indoctrination to make people think it is the true Christian religion, then get them to the Kingdom Hall and see how often Jesus is mentioned.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"So she kept pointing out how Jesus submits to the Father. Ok. Got it. So therefore... we submit to Jesus, and do what... ??"

She's not getting her JW facts right. She doesn't submit to Jesus, she submits to the GB, the travelling overseers, and the local elders. The scripture says that the head of the man is Christ. JWs don't believe that. They don't have a direct relationship with Jesus, they have a WT directed intermediary.

That's exactly how Christian-based cults work.

• Satanus
    Satanus

A couple of things about their bait (jesus) and switch (god and/or the org). There is a verse where it says that jesus will show god (the father?) to the person. So, the person only needs to go as far as jesus, jesus does the rest. Never mind god. Afterall, that is what it means to be 'christ'ian.

Jesus turning all things over to god and submitting to him is future, way future, as the story goes.

So really, jesus, worshipping him, praying to him, believing in him is all that is necesary, at this point. Believing in jesus was the only requirment for baptism in the first century, as the story goes.

S

• losingit
    losingit

Armageddon used to scare the crap out of me and I was a young adult when I joined the damn cult. I hated thinking about it after I got baptized because I would have so many nightmares. I can relate to Miss W-- after a while, signs of the end take their toll on your mind and weaken you. If you don't learn to push them away or just flat out reject the notion that a loving God would destroy billions of people, you'll go crazy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit