Lifting the Veil on "Islamophobia"

by cofty 108 Replies latest social current

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I was not being dismissive. It was a news story, and I found it interesting, therefore it was an "interesting story". But it only threatened to affect Muslim women. No one else was suddenly going to find themselves in a Musliam tribunal for some reason, right?

There's nothing wrong with my skimming the article. I learned what I needed to know. I would suggest that some others on this thead need to read that article more than I do. You also made the fallacy of responding to the person, not the article. Who cares if I read it at all? You should address the facts, not the messenger.

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQtDH_9Mbs

Ayaan Hirsi Ali Kelly File Interview On Brandeis. Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Shana

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Apognophos: Who cares if I read it at all? You should address the facts, not the messenger.

I care if you read it. I did address the facts. You have responded to the messenger.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

Please read this book:

The Trouble With Islam Today by Irshad Manji

http://www.amazon.com/The-Trouble-Islam-Today-Muslims/dp/B002KE47MG

• talesin
    talesin

VG - Irshad Manji rocks! Though I can't reconcile her mission to change Islam (just as I could not accept some folks attempts to change the WTS), and think she is living in a dream world (I mean, she's had lots of death threats herself).

Will have to order that from the local bibliotheque. Thanks for the recommend.

t

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

for anyone who wants to know and in reply to your post, cofty, post 11976, see my sample here below. In fact there is lots more on this subject and on muslim drives toward equality and democracy. Britain to protect i'ts interests actively blocked these drives using all of her imperial might. Europe and the US to help each other modernise did the same. So cofty when you ask about muslim societies that advocate deomcracy and womens rights you need first to examine our history (not to blame but to show how it is possible to question how much downplaying of the other side is necessary to produce a one sided argument). This sample reflects what could have happened and reflects how thinkers from the muslim world were in dialogue with the rights movements of the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qasim_Amin

Qasim Amin ( pronounced [ˈʔæːsem ʔæˈmiːn], Arabic: قاسم أمين) born on 1 December 1863 Alexandria [1] died April 22, 1908Cairo [1] was an Egyptian jurist and one of the founders of the Egyptian national movement and Cairo University. Qasim Amin (1863–1908) was considered by many as the Arab world's "first feminist". An Egyptian philosopher, reformer, judge, member of Egypt's aristocratic class, and central figure of the Nahda Movement, Amin advocated Egyptian women's rights declaring they were "slaves of their husbands," with no identity of their own and that this refusal of natural rights kept the nation in the dark. [2]

• steve2
    steve2

The Crusades proved that violently extremist elements can rise up even in a declaredly "loving" Christ-centred belief system. Christ sending his murderous henchmen to covert and/or kill men, women, children and babes in arms.How Biblically fabulous! Christians distance themselves from the blood-lust of their heritage by talking about "theirs" being true to the Bible, and all others not. How convenient! Christianity's haughty condemnation of the other and their sniffing condescension towards "radical" Islam hides Christianity's own disgusting, rot-centred, human-rights-destroying past, with shades of that extremism barely snuffed out by modern secular law.

• Laika
    Laika

Thanks Justitia, that's what I wanted to say but in far more detail than I could have managed!

• cofty
    cofty

Most liberals think that religion is never the true source of a person’s bad behavior. Even when jihadists explicitly state their religious motivations—they believe that they have an obligation to kill apostates and blasphemers, and they want to get into Paradise—liberal academics, journalists, and politicians insist on looking for deeper reasons for their actions. However, when people give economic, political, or psychological reasons for doing whatever it is they do, everyone accepts those reasons at face value. - Sam Harris

• Mikado
    Mikado

Steve2, I agree totally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit