Lifting the Veil on "Islamophobia"

by cofty 108 Replies latest social current

• Laika
    Laika

Muslims much more likely to claim extremists misinterpret their scriptures then say they're wrong, in the same way evangelicals who support gay marriage tend to claim Paul is misunderstood rather than wrong.

I'm not claiming there isn't a serious problem with fundamentalist Islam or that many of them aren't dangerous, and certainly many Muslim majority countries have many oppressive policies, but if we have benign religious Jews we can have benign muslims.

Should be notable that the people on this thread who actually regularly interact with muslims are the ones defending them.

• talesin
    talesin

I've 'regularly interacted' with Muslims all my life - we have one of the older communities in Canada, to the 3rd and 4th generation.

My perceptions have changed over the years. I used to think that the 'average' Muslim was not discriminating against me. Over the years, and through different experiences, I have learned to feel that is not true. Like the shopkeeper who was my mate, for oh, 10 years I went into her shop every week. She taught me how to make real "Lebanese" baklava, and other stuff. Then, one day, some people from her mosque arrived (after me), and I had to stand in the store, literally being ignored, while she not only served them first, but spent about 20 minutes chatting, as if I was non-existent. Then, there was my super lovely landlord. His two brothers weren't so super-lovely - saw me at a club on 'girls nite out' and one of them yanked me into his arms and tried to feel me up. When I indignantly pushed him off, he said "Well, you are married, and your husband is not here - that means you are fair game". I could go on, but as far as I'm concerned, any non-worshipper of Allah is an infidel. Period. No matter how nice they are to your face, they are no different from the Dubs, at the very least, in their fundy judgmental attitudes.

tal

• myelaine
    myelaine

"I'm not claiming there isn't a serious problem with fundamentalist Islam or that many of them aren't dangerous, and certainly many Muslim majority countries have many oppressive policies, but if we have benign religious Jews we can have benign muslims."

muslim isn't an ethnicity. Muslim is a religious title for someone who practices islam. one of the first tenents of islam is that mohammad is the pre-eminant messanger of allah. If one disagrees with mohammads instruction on war and the path to peace you are not actually practicing islam and one is rightly called an infidel by those who do practice it in the strict theological AND political sense. that one is no longer considered a muslim but an infidel.

in america it is easy to point to people and label them moderate muslims but when push comes to shove as long as they call THEMSELVES muslim they must support mohammads islamic agenda...and when confronted by a fundamentalist muslim with life or death they will chose to support the fundamentalist. Their moderate "convictions" disappear because of fear. It's easy to be a proud "moderate" muslim when your neck isn't literally at the edge of a sword. there is silence from "moderate" muslims in muslim majority countries...they keep their head down for good reason.

• cofty
    cofty

if we have benign religious Jews we can have benign muslims.

There is no comparison. Jews can freely criticise the degrading ethics of OT without fear of being murdered. Show me the Muslim who has publicly stated that the disgusting ethics of the quran ought to be repudiated. Oh wait Ayaan Hirsi Ali did that and now she needs an armed guard. Salman Rushdie did it too.

Should be notable that the people on this thread who actually regularly interact with muslims are the ones defending them.

I interact with Muslims 3 or 4 days every week. They are nice people who believe appalling things and it affects their actions and attitudes just like JWs.

• cofty
    cofty

as far as I'm concerned, any non-worshipper of Allah is an infidel. Period. No matter how nice they are to your face, they are no different from the Dubs, at the very least, in their fundy judgmental attitudes.

Muslims refer to non-muslims as "kafir" just as JWs refer to non-JWs as "worldly people".

The word kafir is a strongly prejorative term.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Boil it down to this:

Does Islam mandate Muslims to conquer the world in the name of Allah and rule it under Sharia law?

Note: this has nothing to do with "nice" Muslims. Muslims are the people, Islam is the ideology. Just like Christians are the people, and Christianity is the ideology.

MMM

• talesin
    talesin

Infidel - kafir /// it's the same thing, same meaning - we are worth less than a camel, at least women are, to the desert worshippers of Allah.

*shrug*

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear talesin...

that statement isn't entirely true.

Perhaps Justitia can clear up your misunderstanding...

love michelle

• bohm
    bohm

Laika:

Muslims much more likely to claim extremists misinterpret their scriptures then say they're wrong

Well color me confused. Are we supposed to kill apostates yes or no?

If it is not wrong to kill apostates then what is misunderstood?

What should we think of a person who took the ravings of some crazy crackpot like josef stalin or the dear leader and insisted every oppressive thing was not "wrong" but "misunderstood"? Should it make us reconsider the moral value of josef stalin or the dear leaders writings and actions?

At any rate, the point here is islam considered as an ideology, a distinction which has been pointed out many times including in the interview.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I fail to understand what is so threatening about all of this. How are the Muslims going to "take over"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit