OK..Seriously..Has GOD ever answered your prayers????

by DATA-DOG 127 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

I watched a social experiment once where somebody was told that over the next week a lot of unusual things would happen to them and that a number of strangers as well as some of their family and friends were in on the plan. All they were asked to do was keep a journal of what they observed to see how perceptive they were.

The subject recorded a number of seemingly significant events and at least a few of them really were remarkable.

It was then revealed that the whole thing was a hoax. The point was that we are all prone to confirmation bias.

A christian who believes that a supernatural power is intimately involved in all the vicissitudes of their lives will never be short of a story.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

One of the oddest things that happened to me was one day a woman told me to say something nice about her. I made a nice but semi wisecrack comment. She said hmm well thats a little nice so I wish you a little good luck. Over the next 2 days I found $100 and got half price on an expensive cab ride. ( I really wish I had said something really nice)

I really wish people or god could fulfill wishes. Even little ones. I would be standing in line and buying tickets to that ride.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Believe what you will, but research has proven that even in the presence of indisputable evidence disproving your current beliefs, you will almost certainly continue to believe what you will.

• defender of truth
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Oubliette, so how does not a non-believer fit into your equation? I don't beleive but I also don't want to upset the Karma... just in case.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes, and it's quite an honor that we can speak faith into peoples lives and situations. We can also speak a language that comes more naturally: the language of doubt, fear and unbelief.

I once invited a brother by the name of Lawrence Tisdall (a great debater) president of Creation Quebec, a largely French ministry, to our home for dinner. He had volunteered to worked on a single switch word-processor for a very disabled student in my class. As we sat at the table he asked if anyone needed healing. My daughter, Rebecca, then in grade 10, was regularly being dismissed from gym class due to back problems. She piped up that she would like her back to be healed. Lawrence announced that God would heal her back after supper. :)

To make a short story even shorter, Lawrence instructed Rebecca to lie on the couch and asked me to put my hand on her back. I did and Lawrence prayed, "Lord Jesus would you heal Rebecca's back." There was a cracking sound and needless to say...I never had to write another note and Rebecca never missed a gym class again. Rebecca called it "a glorious evening".

I asked Lawrence afterward how he knew God would heal her back. He said that while driving over to supper God had given him a vision of a back being healed.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Grin- Twice!! and both times the path indicated led to the Jws.

According to that view I am now disobedient.

• defender of truth
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

Tisdall:
    "Evangelization in the 21st century
    Considering that the theory of evolution is actually a belief system and not science,.."
    http://creationwiki.org/Laurence_Tisdall

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Rocketman said,

" I've never experienced an answered prayer. But I've never truly prayed in faith either. Even as a jw elder, I was never really sure that God answered prayers.

Part of the problem is that either way, God has an out, as it were, because we are told (and not just by the Watchtower) that God doesn't necessrily answer all prayers, even those directed to him in faith. He may wait, or deem it better for us that the prayer isn't answered.

Well, if the answer is no, why aren't we told that? Instead, we are asked to somehow presume that when nothing happens, that means God has either said No or that he wants us to wait. But we have no way of knowing.

A parent doesn't do that to his children. In Matthew, Jesus compared God's response to our requests to that of a parent "who knows how to give good gifts to his children". But if, as a parent, the answer is no, the parent will say No. The child is at least getting an answer.

Imagine asking a parent for something and not getting any answer back. Silence. Not even a "we'll wait and see".

That's part of my problem with the whole thing. We don't know where we really stand."

I felt exactly the same way. A brother recently went on and on about JWs and their privilege of prayer to Jeehoober. He gave an example of working for President Obama. He said, " We could work for the President for years and years and never see him, let alone talk to him. You have to be special to get 15 minutes with the President. THINK ABOUT IT FRIENDS!! We get to talk to Jeehoober whenever we want to! What a privilige!"

I thought, "..hmmmm..It's not a conversation with the President if I have a phone to my ear, but no one ever answers. So JWs get the privilege of a one-way conversation with Jeehoober??" What if you NEVER get an answer? Should you cross your fingers and hope for the best? Anyone can do that.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit