Any Suggestions on what to say if elders ask why you stopped going in FS?

by BU2B 69 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Say "Things have been crazy this month ( because I recently learned I am in a cult), you know how things are some times, maybe next month (if hell freezes over), how are things going for you?

If you play it right you should be able to get away with it. It's all in the attitude, if you think that these people have some kind of right to know anything about your life, then you might slip up and say too much. The fact is the elders only have the power you give them. You don't owe them any particular explanation, say just enough to get them off your back without arousing suspicion, really the less said the better, then change the subject or take your leave. If you don't act guilty they won't have any reason to think you don't have a legitimate reason to miss service.

As I am writing this I am thinking how strange it is that any adult would have to account to another person who is not their boss or spouse. It's your life! Crazy cult.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

Tell them your learning to use the force...its very time consuming...

Or tell them you are worried that time in service will delay completion of the Death Star....and you don't want the emperor displeased with you...

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

If I remember correctly, your wife is an active, believing JW?

If so, my strategy may not work for you. I completely stopped service and then meetings last year. I have been left alone, aside from two texts and one voicemail, all looking for time. I learned how to block calls :)

I really couldn't go the depressed route as it isn't true and undermines my point about being happy with our new life. If I run into JW's and we get talking I point out the child abuse issues (huge issue in our hall where a former elder/pioneer was sentenced to life in prison, early this year).

The worst that has happened is being unfriended on Facebook :)

Early last year I did post on FB that I was taking some time to reevaluate my belief system and do balanced, unbiased Bible research. If you have children, you could use that, as a way to say you want to make sure you aren't indoctrinating them, but teaching them how to understand a belief system, before you push them to promote it to others.

Wish you the best. Sorry for such a long answer.

• Perry
    Perry

Tell them that if they can show you even one NT scripture showing how a person can have their sins forgiven outside of the NEW COVENANT, you are willing to have something to preach about at the doors. If they can't, what is there to talk about?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

"I'd prefer not to talk about it."

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Yeah just be very vague and non-committal. Don't get aggressive but stand your ground. Make no apologies, and don't act like your life is anything other than the best it has ever been. When I quit service, I was only regularly putting in 1-3 hrs, 0 everything else. Zero comments and the meetings, no "privileges". After 3 months 2 elders from my FS group came by.

I didn't say anything about why, just said I didn't like going out anymore. When asked why, just pull a Jesus and answer a question with a question. "Is it voluntary, or compulsory?"

Let them go through their guilt, fear and obligation routine (GFO), smile and nod. Thank them for their time and interest, you have their numbers when you need them. Decline all invitations to come out with them. Feed them some coffee and muffins, talk about the NHL and send them on their way. I haven't heard a peep since, and that was November 2012. Now on the group list it just has my wife's name, I'm not included at all.

Also, conviently they will likely stop giving you talks and any other privileges since you aren't exemplary. But seriously, dude, you NEED to drop those hours if you want to stop going out altogether. Don't make it such a surprise! Zero mags, zero everything except for a token hour or two until you are ready for the big donut.

• rebel8
    rebel8

pinkeye

fibromyalgia

Tourette's

psychosis

menstrual cramps

explosive diarrhea

anal leakage

incontinence

erection lasting more than 4 hrs

extremely bad athelete's foot

lice

scabies

selective mutism

bedbugs

pyromania

hysterical paralysis

• rebel8
    rebel8

Get some of these and say, "Yeah, field service makes me randy, baby, yeah!"

Claim to be anointed

Roll your eyes in the back of your head, drool, and babble in Latin

Tell them you're going to be placing one of the old Golden Age ragazines

• talesin
    talesin

It seems to me that you have a very legitimate reason wth your wife having a difficult pregnancy. Family matters are keeping you from field service. Put in an hour or two and lable it 'informal witnessing' for now, or just tell them you are too busy and stressed to the max.

You are not alone! Though it is a lonely thing, and I hear you. Fear of losing your family, and with a little one and one on the way, oy! We shall be here for you.

tal

• Sittingstraight1212
    Sittingstraight1212

I said, I'm going thru some private things.. I cant help anyone at the moment when I'm trying to get thru my private situation,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit