Why are JWs so afraid of apostates?

by Magnum 112 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think Emeth is trying to find a way for her/himself, probably has doubts about the WTS., probably young,

probably not too educated, probably was at one time in a social environment that wasn't good.

In any case I wish him/her well in finding a path to follow and finding out who they actually are.

Right now the WTS. is making up a personal identity, the most likely reason for protecting what has been offered..

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Magnum - "Why are JWs so afraid of apostates?"

Well, we are a pretty scary bunch; what with our critical thinking abilities and personal opinions and such...

• Maat13
    Maat13

Marked

• talesin
    talesin

I would put them into three categories.

True believers - are frightened that apostates may be demonized and they will be too close to Satanic influence.

Cognitive dissonance (ie, don't really believe, are most likely born in and feel 'where would we go?') - are frightened because if the apostate is right, their whole world will fall apart.

Lifers(who know it's all a sham, and have known for many years, but are comfortable in their cult life) - are afraid to have the apostate hold up a mirror in front of their face, and call them out on their hypocrisy.

t

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

There was a good thread on a similar topic last week or the week before that put the proposition that even if the WBTS didn't demonize apostates, Witnesses would shun them anyway because the cognitive dissonance of listening to apostate view points would be too confronting. The emotional commitment to "the Truth" is so great that accepting an apostate view is a denial of the self and a direct emotional attack. I have seen this at first hand when I present facts to my wife that show the Truth is far from that. In demonizing apostates, the WBTS is simply reinforcing the rationalisations the Witnesses have already internalized about why apostate views need be avoided. They are playing what the audience wants to hear. I am heartened to see emeth still hear flying the flag for the WBTS - his cognitive dissonance is so strong he can participate on this website without changing his views - for now. ewmeth - hopefully over time you will start listening to the views expressed here and start to think about them properly.

• Lied2NoMore
    Lied2NoMore

Same reason a murderer that has pleaded "not guilty" wouldn't want the one eyewitness with immaculate credibility to testify at his trial!

They actively engage in pre-emptive character assasination to ANYONE who sounds like they don't agree with the WT and their dictates!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Lied2NoMore - "Same reason a murderer that has pleaded "not guilty" wouldn't want the one eyewitness with immaculate credibility to testify at his trial! They actively engage in pre-emptive character assasination to ANYONE who sounds like they don't agree with the WT and their dictates!"

Pretty much.

The fact that the WTS has institutionalized the use of "dirty lawyer tactics" (sematic arguments, misdirection, and - as you said - character assassination) should be a major red flag.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

APOSTATES are like the Charleton Heston character in the original

PLANET OF THE APES

He was proof the worldview of the Apes was upside down.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Wow, Terry! Good analogy. I remember seeing that movie years ago. The few apes who were in the know tried to suppress the evidence provided by the Charleton Heston character so the masses would be kept ignorant. They also lobotomized (or did some kind of destruction to the brain of) one of the other characters to suppress evidence.

That's just as it is in JWdom. Charleton Heston-like characters are feared. Such characters turn their worldview, outlook, etc. upside down as you said. They shake up their entire belief system

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

And the reason the JW leaders have to engender such fear of Apostates, and their words, is because that belief system is less stable than a House of Cards.

The faith of a JW is founded upon lies told to him or her, it simply cannot withstand the simplest of questions, let alone any real scrutiny.

But this fear is powerful, and extremely difficult to counteract.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit