Your Experience with Resigning as an Elder

by committeechairman 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tech49
    Tech49

Many of my feelings have already been commented on by others. CommitteeChairman, look at my opening posts on this forum, to see my experiences, as it may help to see that you are definitely not alone.

Sadly, over the years, we have been trained to accept the fact that a measure of a man's "spirituality", and character is defined by the titles and "privledges" that have been bestowed upon. When the time comes to call into balance the amount of mental and physical work that can actually and realistically be done, and we consider either giving up or cutting back on titles and responsibilities... we find ourselves in a state of confusion, shock, and panic.

We think to ourselves.."how can I even think of 'stepping down', I will no longer be a spiritual man?!" And so the internal fight rages on.

The REAL reality, is that you CAN'T do it all. I know, I have been in your position. And to reiterate what many have already mentioned... it doesnt seem to EVER let up! The more you do, the more is expected of you, until you start to crack. The faster you run, the faster the wheel turns. If YOU don't crack, your family will.

Personally, as soon as I saw that happening.... when my wife would be in tears after a meeting, the kids didnt want to go anymore, and ALL my spare time was wrapped up in "spiritual responsibilities"..... I took a step back. My family was more important than anything else. Even for myself, I could feel the effects on me physically and emotionally. I started to lose sleep, was drinking more, especially after meetings, to try and calm down. I didnt dare miss a meeting, or field service, for fear of being "looked down upon" as weak or "not measureing up".

It was a defining moment when I decided that I had had enough, and that my family and my health was more important than a title and a job. I REFUSED to believe that the measure of MY character was to be dictated by how many hours I got each month, or what my title was, or what "theocratic responsibilities" I covered. No sir, they are NOT privledges, they are WORK.

I prayed and prayed and prayed.... I took the CO out in service alone to talk about it........ and all I got was the standard response..."you need to be BUSIER in theocratic activities, rely FULLY on Jehovah, and you will be BLESSED! Obviously, you are not doing enough! The more you do, the more JOY will be found!" I stood there agast, and it was right then that I knew I was done serving as an elder. I would NEVER measure up to human standards.

Yes, my congregation began treating me and my family as if we had done something wrong. The gossip raged like a flaming fire, my fellow "brothers", elders, suddenly treated me like I had sold out, as if I was a traitor. They stopped using me for everything, like I needed to be "put in my place" for being so selfish. To this day, I get the "priviledge" of running the sound booth once in a while. Or giving a bible reading. I have given 1 prayer after a meeting in 2 1/2 years. That's it, suddenly I am a lesser man in their eyes, no better than the average 13 year old boy. All this, only weeks after being RBC key man, School Overseer, and Secretary. Honestly, it broke my heart a little. But I soldiered on, and am a better person for it. I don't let people walk on me, I dont care who they are. I havent really changed, I am a moral man, a man of my word, a man of good character, honest, faithful, and if anything I find myself actually beginning to enjoy my family, to enjoy life more. No "clipboard running", no elders meeting, no judicial meetings, nothing. If I dont make it to the meeting, no biggie. No one cares, no one judges (any more than they already do).

Yes, honestly, for me, giving up a title and the HUGE amount of work that came with it was a tough one, it was a mental struggle. It was gut-wrenching, heart-breaking, and gave me fits, even to tears. But the benefits have been enourmous. NOW I can finally be the husband and father I need to be, and that I want to be, without trying so hard to please PEOPLE. I can be ME.

But no matter what you decide to do, do what's best for YOU, and for your FAMILY. Don't let everyone else define you. Don't let an abstract vision and convoluted interpretation of the definition of a "spiritual man",by other imperfect and often stupid men, dictate who you are.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

This thread has made a sort-of philosophical turn. So I'm reminded of a conversaation I once had with a certain Max Lloyd who (as I remember) was then on the branch committee in Australia. As to when, well! maybe it was about 25-7 years ago.

We were talking about what it really meant to be an elder.

He commented (I think I have the conversation almost true word for word - there had been a WT article on 'servants' - diakonos):

There seem to be two types of elders. One is always dressed in a smart suit and runs around the congregation with some papers in his hand. He may as well have a badge on the says - ELDER. The congregation thinks of him as a very important man.

The other sort of elder is dressed in an unassuming way, and no-one in the congregation would think he was important. He does humble tasks with joy, tasks that show a true understanding of the spiritual needs of the sheep in the congregation. He has the real spirit of a diakonos as one who runs through the dust**, on errands for his master.

Organisations of any type, need humans to organise. Probably, the suited type. Hence, the the JW emphasis on the suited type.

A friend had a similar conversation with Max Lloyd and decided afterward to stand down as an elder and just visit the brothers in his congregation and serve them in a human way not an organisational way.

I'm unsure if that is of real assistance for you CC, but there are some thoughtful points in Max Lloyd's conversation.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Most just step down! With your age they will just call you a senior retired elder.

Do you agree that the GB is the faithful discreet slave?

Do you feel any remorse for JC meetings and messing with others lives?

I doubt you were over work! just under paid and not respected. Most elders are lazy and do not know what over work means.

They hide behind a title to not work.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Eventually some elders wake up and see that they are slaves to an organization, but not necessarily of God. God does not treat his sons as the Watchtower treats elders. Just quit.

• LogCon
    LogCon

leaving_quietly said: " Oh, and don't offer to give them back the Shepherd book. If they ask for it, fine, but don't offer it."

Tell them your still making copies.

• alfredjones100
    alfredjones100

My experience in stepping down went this way.

I was the secretary, book study group conductor, assitant wt conductor, second theo school overseer, 2 public talks a month and i used to do at least one talk in the service meeting every week plus some work for the RBC. A reasonably full therocratic lfe. But my wife had been very ill with depression for many years and with the arrival of our young children it became just too much. I've always veiwed being an elder as a theocratic job rather than a position or a title. So when i realised i could'nt do the job properly i'd just have to step down. At this point in my life, i didn't know the real true about the true and I hadn't found this forum or read any of franz's books but i did have many self realized doubts that were burning away inside.

Anyway, one day i just walked up to the PO and said "thats it, i'm done". He said "ok" ... and that was it.

And from that day it was like i'd just droped off the face of the earth. No one called, no one asked how we were going, nothing. 15 years of service to that congregation (40 years being in it) ... and nothing. That's what really killed me. And when we moved congregation to be closer to family for a bit more support, not one brother got in touch, even by phone. My wife could have suicided or anything. Even now after all these years I still get upset with i think about it.

The moral of this story - Just do whats good for you and your family because in the end ... thats all you really got.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I'm completely exhausted. i'm so far behind on all the work that I will never catch up. I seldom get to spend any significant time with the family and I basically am working from the time I get up in the morning till the time I drop into bed seven days a week.

My health is failing and I just can't keep up. A lot of what is going on for elders disturbs me, not sure if because I'm getting old and change is becoming harder to deal with or what. However, the bottom line is that I just can't keep up with all of this. I need to stop.

With all that going, why should it matter how you are treated after resigning? You are already treated like crap. Further, if you ever, while following directions, wind up being sued by some publisher for causing them to be shunned or for recommending action that leads to a death in the family over the blood issue or a number of other issues, Watchtower will throw you under the bus.

----------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I resigned and stated it was because I had doubts and that I didn't "know" the organization and its governing body as many mags. suggested. I was told that I could not simply resign, but that Watchtower had to review my application. I said "Whatever, but I am done now." They said "You can't tell anyone that you are no longer one of the elders." I cooperated because I wanted to just fade away, but it took 6 weeks for the C.O. to visit and he finally said that WTS accepted my resignation. The body pretty much avoided me like I was a plague. Good riddance, but keep in mind that my circumstances are completely different than yours.

BTW, you already laid out your resignation IMMEDIATELY:

I'm completely exhausted. i'm so far behind on all the work that I will never catch up. I seldom get to spend any significant time with the family and I basically am working from the time I get up in the morning till the time I drop into bed seven days a week.

My health is failing and I just can't keep up

• Magnum
    Magnum

My God! I've read every post so far on this thread, and I'm seeing stuff like 'You can't just tell one elder; you have to talk to at least two.' And 'the org has to accept your resignation.'

What??? That sounds like N Korea or Communist China or Putin's Russia. That pisses me off. Do not let them have that kind of control. If it were I, I'd tell one brother politely to tell the body of elders that I will no longer be serving as an elder. If they tell you that you've got to meet with two of them, then please tell them "no, I don't" and walk away.

Another suggestion: I know a brother who did not want to serve as an elder anymore, so he moved to another congregation and then turned down his reappointment in that congregation. Easy way out.

• minimus
    minimus

U can't really resign.

• LogCon
    LogCon

Gumption: courage, spunk, guts

Good, old fashioned GUMPTION !

Why don't people have gumption anymore?

Why is everyone afraid?

Grown men, being worn to the nub, becoming more and more usless to their families, more distant to their wives and children and they don't have the GUMPTION to simply say, ' My work here is over, PERIOD.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit