Your Experience with Resigning as an Elder

by committeechairman 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• Magnum
    Magnum

LogCon

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Often the WTBTS uses the old testiment to shore up their take on things. Yet, they ignore the scriptures that show men in charge of the spirituality of the Israelites were PAID to perform at the temple, so they wouldn't have to make a living and MINISTER. It was the same way when Jesus was on earth. While he did away with Mosaic Law, the principle of not overworking the minister stands. It would make life so much easier if the WTBTS would simply pay the elders. Of course, they would never part with any money.

• Skinnedsheep
    Skinnedsheep

You can't just resign. They want to know why. There is never an answer that will be adequate in their eyes. The new shepherd book talks in detail about what to do when an elder wants to quit.

For me I was tired. I too was on circuit and district parts, rBC blah blah blah. I served in a rural area on a small body. Was the sec, wts and TMS overseer all at the same time. I remember one meeting where I gave the public talk last minute and conducted the wt study. I moved congs after that but was still an elder. I laid the groundwork with the boe for about 7 months prior and told them I was "thinking about quitting" and then used the family card as I had a newborn at the time. my wife was not awake yet to ttatt but she could see how miserable I was as an elder. It didn't help that I was full of doubts and anger about being deceived my entire life. Think about how hard it is to write a public talk when you know it is all bs. In the end it was too hard and I didn't want to sell my soul to a pharisaical religion. So I quit.

it was the best thing I ever did. One of the things that will clue the branch in to their problems is seeing appointed men quit.

• thedog1
    thedog1

Just to add my two cents worth to all the very interesting comments here. I am in a similar situation to CC. I am thinking of stepping down, but the COBE is sort of ignoring the hints I have given him so far. I have told him that my wife has serious physical and emotional issues, on medication etc., which is true. Now he is scared to talk to her. Others have confided to us in the past that if the bros in the cong think you have any mental issues, they become wary as they don't know how to deal with it. In fact, he is giving me more things to do. He doesn't get it at all. Some in the cong, in a well-meaning way, have put down any mental strain and inability to cope as not relying on Jehovah enough and if my wife was busier in the ministry that she would feel better!

I have always felt uneasy in the elder's role as I never really thought I should be telling others what to do. Now, having read COC and In Search of Christian Freedom by Fred Franz, and still scratching my head about the new FDS and generation teachings, you can imagine things have changed a bit.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

elders are expected to do all the things regular pubs are supposed to do and then some.

Boo friggin hoo.

Elders also get their reward in full.

• KateWild
    KateWild

No sir, they are NOT privledges, they are WORK.- tech49

This is absolutely true, CC you are a manager for a publishing company. You are at a low management level and get taken advantage of. You have no time to be spiritual or loving to your family or the cong. This is also a corrupt company.

By nature people thrive from responsibilities and enjoy external praise, but it's not worth it when you are being taken advantage of by this big publishing company, which is a cult.

You are not really helping the needy in your cong, you are serving the GB.

I hope you make the right choice.

Kate xx

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

"Take my yoke and put it on you, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble in spirit; and you will find rest. For the yoke I will give you is easy, and the load I will put on you is light." (Matthew 11:29-30 TEV)

"Yes," said Jesus, "what sorrow also awaits you experts in religious law! For you crush people with unbearable religious demands, and you never lift a finger to ease the burden. (Luke 11: 46 NLT)

'nuff said.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i got totally confused reading the opening post.

CC:--may i ask--do you still believe all the watchtower teachings?

are you aware the watchtower society regards this as an apostate website--?--and that you could get d/f'd for posting on here ?

and yet youre asking other members on here for their experiences--and opinions ?

i must be missing something------

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey CC

Even as only one of the R&F I found it a very big challenge to beat the system.

The religious system is designed to keep us addicted to it, and far too busy to pay enough attention to what the Bible actually is about.

It is no accident that religious busy-ness keeps us ignorant of the "Good News" according to Paul (and others).

Yet more than half the Bible's roughly 152 references to "good news" are by Paul.

Would it surprise you to learn that Paul never once refers to "Kingdom" and "good news" in the same sentence?

My mental, psychological and spiritual health has improved leaps and bounds since choosing to pursue the "full Good News" as an alternative to religion (legalism, moralism and ethnocentrism).

Greetings

Fernando

• Magnum
    Magnum

I just read in several posts above something like 'you can't just resign'. Says who??? Wow, this is sounding more cultish every day. Sounds like Scientology.

The only control/power they have over you is what you give them or let them have. It's a power game. They push a little and see whether you push back or just passively let yourself be pushed. If you let yourself be pushed, they push harder.

If they told me I couldn't resign, I'd say "I just did; I think you need new light on that."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit