Any gay exJW's?

by Trapped in JW land 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Trapped in JW land
    Trapped in JW land

Was just wondering how many gay exJW's were on this site, and how did you deal with being in this organization? And also, how did you end up leaving?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yes there are lots.

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

I ended up leaving because I felt I was being a hypocrite and didn't want to be that person anymore.

I did a suitably diva-ish flounce, which is possibly the worst way of leaving.

Family and friends were shell shocked. So was I truth (haha) be told. But it was the best decision I ever could have made. (Leaving the JWs I mean.)

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

There are quite a few... you're not alone!!

Watchtower-free can probably guide you to some... I think there is a specific gay exJW group on Facebook....

• krejames
    krejames

Hey Trapped and welcome. Yes another one here.

Here's my story up to the beginning of my fade, if it's of interest/help (it's a bit long but it helped me no end to get it all out there!). The only update being that I haven't been to the meetings for a year.

To answer your questions:

(1) It was a nightmare towards the end from an emotional health perspective. I only found happiness once I left and became authentic - not just talking about my sexuality here, but just about my beliefs in general - e.g.shunning.

(2) I built up my friendships outside of the congregation and made a transition. Gradually spending more and more time with my "worldly" friends. I have been very lucky, I think, and I have never been short of support from my non-JW friends. I also have very good historical friends both straight and gay who have are ex-JW (my best friend is gay and faded before I did, though he is still mentally in unfortunately) and I also connected with an ex-JW LGBT support group - all lovely people. Let me know if you need any more information. I know it's not easy so let me know if you need any more information.

Sending big hugs your way

• 88JM
    88JM

There are a few LGBT ex-JW groups on Facebook too if you're looking for folks to chat to. There's worldwide and also regional groups, depending on where you live, sometimes with meetups.

If you're worried about being found out on Facebook though, you might want to use another login, though most of the groups are now closed groups so any posting is private within the groups, but worth checking first.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i have several gay ex-jw friends here in the UK----but ive still been accused---on this site---of being homophobic. you just cant win.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Wow what a story kj.................so much of what I've just read is what I've gone through.

Felt just the same, suffered the same anxiety about the big A, believed JW's had the 'truth' even though it made me so unhappy.

Believe me Trapped in JW Land you are not alone

We all suffered/suffer very similar experiences at the hands of the WT.

Hoab

• KWJoe
    KWJoe

Me too...me too

here's a copy/paste of my initial intro

Where to start? Born to a JW mom/non religious dad in south Georgia. Oh, yeah....gay, too. Growing up was a struggle. Did well in school, had some friends, but only during school hours....no extracurricular stuff. I got baptized at 14, pioneered, MS and prayed to be changed...good luck with that. Celibacy was not my strong suit. At the age of 25, I confessed to the elders.....wth was I thinking? Was df'd for two years....never missed a meeting. Reinstated. I'm not very proud of the fact that I eventually started living a double life again....but it is, what it is. Went through the motions for a couple of years, just to continue with family and friends. The prospect of living a double life...or celibacy, for the rest of my life, was not very appealing. So, I called one of the elders and told them I gotta be me....do what you need to do. They, of course, wanted to meet with me. No chance, bro.

Df'd for the second and last time about 20 years ago. Since then, have been living an honest and true life. Met someone 17 years ago...been together ever since. Moved to Key West, started fresh......life is good.

• Zoos
    Zoos

Here!

Welcome to the forum, Trapped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit