How long did you know TTATT while attending the meetings?

by Iamallcool 46 Replies latest jw friends

• millie210
    millie210

Old Goat,

I really enjoyed the clarity of thought in your post above.'Thank you for writing all of that out.

• done4good
    done4good

Old Goat-

I really appreciated your perspective.

d4g

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I started questioning it all at 1995 with the "generation" change. It built over years. I pioneered in 2002, kind of giving Jehovah one last chance to cast his spirit upon my efforts. During that year, I studied at the library, sticking with theologians and varied Bible-believers. By 2003, I was still unsure and went to a foreign language congregation. I focused on learning the language instead of being bombarded with the loaded language of the cult and my mind slowly came out of the haze of "the truth." I think I spent two years getting my bearing on TTATT, but once I knew for sure, I resigned as an elder and faded out over 7-8 months.

So- a long time being unsure. A couple years finding out. A short time after I KNEW, I was done.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Not long, maybe 5 months. I learned TTATT in December 2007 and my last meeting was the Sunday meeting where they announced the end of book studies at home. I actually was eager to go to that meeting Knowing that announcement was coming (thanks to our apostate friends who leaked it months early) and it just confirmed that this was all a hoax. Never been since.

Now on a related note, my wife also stopped within 6 or 7 months I learned TTATT And also stopped and never been since. For those of you with spouses still in, never give up. I was just very logical about why I was leaving, and kept emotion out. What was huge for her was researching the history of Russell and Rutherford on Wikipedia. That was a trusted neutral third party, and quickly she realized what I was saying was right and that the JWs were just amother crazy religion.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It was more of a growing awareness than a bombshell for me, and some of it I still didn't learn until after I'd started fading...

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Old Goat, thank you for your post. It's so nice to hear your calm historical perspective. When did TTATT solidify in your thinking?

(((hugs)))

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I started having doubts after being publicly reproved in 2011 for drunkenness. Then did research to reaffirm my faith in Jehovah. I now see that I was in the “apologist” faze for a couple months. Then after accepting TTATT, I left about 3-4 weeks later... cold turkey.

My wife followed about 13-14 months later. She told me after a year she never really believed that it was the “true” religion. She wanted to make sure it was not a faze I was going through before telling me and committing to leaving. It was a little tougher on her because she had a mom that was in the same hall.

Now her mom is out of state and everything is much easier for her. The elders call or come over once or twice a year to bug me. I ignore them. It’s a little harder for her. She works in a coffee shop where they frequent. She sees them and remains busy so as not to get cornered.

So far its working out. We don’t want to be DF’d or DA’d because we want to communicate with our immediate families. It would be less damaging if I was DF’d. Mrs. Dazed would take it a little harder if she were Df’d. We both agree not to give them any power over us by DA'ing.

Oldgoat- I enjoyed reading your experience. Thanks for sharing it.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

The infamous pic of Rutherford and friends drinking beer next to a barrel. It's root beer? LOL. Thanks Old Goat, but are you sure? I mean, does the type of cask *definitely* rule out an alcoholic beverage being served here?

Enjoyed reading the rest of your post too. Nearly 90 and in since the '40s. Wow - especially considering your long-standing ill health (I checked out some of your older posts). You're the kind of guy I'd like to share a (proper) beer with while you relate all your WTS/JW war stories

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Old Goat:

I appreciate your post, both for its honesty and also for its historical perspective. Since when do we have anybody who has been around to see what you have seen and share it??

You mention something that I think is healthy to note: many of those you have in mind who offended you are dead. I believe this is why many ex-JWs have anger and cannot get closure.

It is impossible to get real closure because the people who wronged us might be gone. In many instances, the people who gave bad advice or said nasty or hurtful things are no longer alive, so we can't necessarily get closure or even an apology. Although, some of those people were so arrogant that they would never apologize to anybody. So, to be angry is pointless because it is with a faceless, changing entity. People will have to find closure in getting on with their lives.

However, I am glad that the religion is at least being exposed and cannot hide behind the secrecy of the pre-internet era. We can all see behind the smoke and mirrors. If anybody still wants to be a Witness after reading all the negative things about the religion, well, at least they will be making an informed choice, unlike people like myself who were victims of bait and switch tactics.

You are also correct in saying that their Ministry school is a failure as an educational tool and does not teach the Bible’s content. It teaches organizational structure (which is the only thing they care about, IMO)....For sure, the elders are not taught at the feet of the apostles, but at the feet of men detached from reality and from the Bible.

It makes me sick when they try to compare themselves to the disciples of ancient times. They are not even close.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

A little over 2 years so far... Still trying to help the wife out of the org. It is coming along, but slowly.

I feel like a piece of shit as I walk through those doors. I'm not being true to myself or honest with those around me.

Dont know how much more of this I can handle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit