How long did you know TTATT while attending the meetings?

by Iamallcool 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was a born-in. For some reason, we had Bible Student literature. My father was at Bethel during Rutherford's and Knorr's tenure. I was immersed in it. My mom designated me her close friend to pour out her heart. When my father was away, she told me lots of things from her own and family member's experience. I feel if you work in the seat of any religion, it is hard to believe. Catholic friends who worked for churches saw things they wish they had not seen.

It was impossible to take the meetings seriously. Several Armageddon dates before I was even born. Blood was once okay. Christmas celebrated at Bethel. Overall, though, I always resisted what I viewed as illegitimate authority. The KH was a place of rejection and no love. I thought too many Witnesses who lost their health b/c of the Witnesses end up d'f'd. My body and mind could not take it. As I integrated more into the world, I thought I would start screeching and the police would come. There was no Internet when I left.

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Nine months - from DC2008 until memorial 2009. Enough time to do prayerful reading & research of all facts and leave together as a family with wife and kids. Was not easy, but worth it...

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I had been basically inactive for many years, just going to the Sunday meetings on a semi-regular basis. I still believed at the time that the Watchtower had a more correct understanding of the bible than other religions, but I just hated every thing about being a JW, plus I was stuck in a horrible marriage, I had no friends in the congo or any social life whatsoever, I think most people there thought I was too worldly, which I was. It became increasingly more and more difficult to force myself to even go to the Sunday meeting. I made plans to get a divorce, but put off deciding about religion. Then something happened to cause me to have what my (now) husband calls a BGO, a brilliant glimpse of the obvious, it just hit me that they had no more idea about anything than any other religion. It was like I was in prison and one day the door swung opened and I realized that it had never been locked in the first place. I left thinking they were a sincere but misguided organization, it wasn't until many years later that I came here and learned TTATT.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

lamallcool:

I found out the real dirt on the JW religion in early 2000 while I was still sporadically attending meetings. I must confess that the 1995 changed teaching on Generation really ended it and I was barely active for the five years after that. However, I read mountains of information on the JW religion and read a book or two.

In very early 2001, I decided it was time to walk. I could no longer subject myself to any of their garbage and went over in my mind the long list of valid grievances I had......I wondered what the hell was I even doing there??......So, I started a cold-turkey "fade" on a specific day. I just very quietly stopped going......I could no longer have anything to do with this hypocritical organization or the phoney people.

I decided to "kick the habit" as they say. If some Witnesses are honest with themselves, they will admit that it is more or less habit what they are going. I am just sorry I didn't kick this bad habit ten years sooner!

• Angus Beef
    Angus Beef

Was reading about beards and ran across enough info in one night to say I wasn't going back period. So I've not been back in a few months. It's been rough but I'm a grown ass woman and no one is making me walk through those doors again. period.

• done4good
    done4good

I knew nothing at all. I did not even consider researching anything until about 3 months after I left completely. I left because I could tell something was very wrong, (personal bad experiences have a way of doing that), but could not put my finger on it.

Only after getting a much clearer head after my departure could I begin to see it was time to closely examine what I believed.

d4g

• done4good
    done4good

LisaRose-Then something happened to cause me to have what my (now) husband calls a BGO, a brilliant glimpse of the obvious, it just hit me that they had no more idea about anything than any other religion.

I actually did have a similar experience before I left. I just could not see it through all at once to motivate myself to leave right then and there. I was never the same after that day however, and I stopped attending within 6 months.

d4g

• pbrow
    pbrow

Lisarose.... have you seen V for Vendetta?

When you watch it there is a point where you will know exactly why I recommend this movie to everyone

pbrow

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

I’m approaching 90. Many of the things that shocked people here I saw develop and change. This includes doctrinal shifts, editorial changes, apostate movements lost in the mists of time. I read everything I could get my hands on back when I was a new Witness. (In the mid to late 1940s.) I remember reading Millions Now Living will Never Die with some shock. We had a few old timers who lived through the 1925 nonsense, and they filled me in on it. What made it easier to take was a short apology from Rutherford’s pen in one of the Vindication volumes.

I believed then and still do believe that individual Christians mature in conduct and doctrinal understanding. I’m willing to give credit to someone who corrects a mistake, no matter how silly the previous belief was.

The number of Witnesses was small when I was new. Those in authority were consequently more approachable. I was more tolerant of human foible then. I’ve become a cranky, sometimes intolerant old man since. One of the most enduring problems for me was the behavior of those who thought themselves specially God-appointed. If one assumes a prophet’s mantle, others have reason to expect more from you than of themselves. Naming names is fruitless, mostly. Most of those I have in mind are dead. But a few stand out as self-anointed and on the creepy side. F. W. Franz would top the list. The long time head of the Service Department, an ex-Marine who never got over being one, is another. His name was Miller. The word Obtuse always crosses my mind when I recall him. Harry C. Good, a long time circuit and district overseer, was abusive to everyone. He was intolerant of age and infirmity marking reduced activity as lack of zeal.

There was an approach to fellow believers back when that always disturbed me. When Knorr sent out the first traveling brothers as “Servants to the Brethren,” he told them to look for trouble. If you look for trouble, you will find it. Because of the difficulties that caused, that approach was pulled back, but never went away.

Personal opinion in place of scripture was and is another issue for me. You find this in the Watchtower. But it’s most pronounced among elders. The Watchtower does not train its elders. Anti-intellectualism taints the authority structure among Watchtowerites. Kingdom Ministry School is a failure as an educational tool. It does not teach the Bible’s content. It teaches organizational structure. Watchtower elders are not taught at the feet of the apostles, but at the feet of men detached from reality and from the Bible.

There are things that many who post here find disturbing that don’t bother me and never have bothered me. The great pyramid? Never an issue for me, for all the reasons cited in Schulz and deVienne’s A Separate Identity. (Buy it and read it!). Rutherford a drunk? Best I could ever tell is that’s a false trail. You’ll find a photo somewhere on here purporting to show him drunk. In the background is an old-fashioned root beer dispenser. Fake evidence such as that is troubling. Mantley’s letter to the Watchtower never upset me. He raved over the Society misrepresenting him. In fact, Mantley’s name didn’t belong on the book. Mantley did not write the passage in question Dana did. Dana was dead when Mantley added some revisions, but he had nothing to do with the quotation. Mantley made it up. But people here are willing to parrot that. I’d never let my students get away with that. You shouldn’t tolerate it either.

The greatest issues for me have always been the conduct of those in authority. It’s often self-serving and abusive. Or they make decisions without having heard the evidence, or they express personal opinions that have no place in Christian discourse.

Revising publications to hide stupid statements is unethical. The Watchtower does that. They fake footnotes or they did way back in the when, citing many references when they all came from one source. I was teaching history back in the 1960s (still crawl out of retirement to lecture on occasion.), and had that discussion with a Watchtower writer. It made no impression on him.

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

At least 10 years. I kept going back to see if I could reason it all out.

I couldn't.

Phae

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit