Supreme Court ruling- refusing to photo gay wedding is discrimination

by SadElder 112 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SadElder
    SadElder

According to Bloomberg news:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-04-07/wedding-photographer-rebuffed-by-top-court-on-same-sex-ceremony

"The U.S. Supreme Court turned away an appeal from a New Mexico wedding photographer found to have violated a state anti-discrimination law when she refused to take pictures of a commitment ceremony for a same-sex couple.

The photographer, Elaine Huguenin, argued unsuccessfully that she was being unconstitutionally forced to convey a message conflicting with her religious beliefs. She was seeking to overturn a ruling against her company, Elane Photography LLC, by the New Mexico Human Rights Commission. The high court made no comment in rejecting the appeal."

While this case applies in New Mexico, does it mean that Joe Eldubwindowasher cannot refuse to wash windows on the Catholic church or the local military base?

• cofty
    cofty

Good decision.

No different from putting up a shop sign that reads "Whites Only".

Calling prejudice a "religious belief" is not an excuse.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Good Lord.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why it bothers people. So you have a photographer refuse to take the job - so what? Why not contract with another photographer? Sheesh.

" While this case applies in New Mexico, does it mean that Joe Eldubwindowasher cannot refuse to wash windows on the Catholic church or the local military base?"

Perhaps. But the I wonder if the Catholic Church would even care to make such a fuss. This is really horrible. But, I am OK to have the Supreme Court staying out of it. At least people can move out of New Mexico.

MMM

• Viviane
    Viviane

While this case applies in New Mexico, does it mean that Joe Eldubwindowasher cannot refuse to wash windows on the Catholic church or the local military base?

Why in the world would it mean that?

For the life of me, I can't figure out why it bothers people

For the same reasons Jim Crow laws bothered people.

• cofty
    cofty

So you (a gay man) have a photographer refuse to take the job - so what? Why not contract with another photographer? Sheesh. - MMM

Tell me the difference...

So you (a black man) have a publican refuse to take serve you a beer - so what? Why not go to another bar? Sheesh.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

" For the same reasons Jim Crow laws bothered people."

Apples and Oranges - Jim Crow laws were laws originating with the state and local government, legislating the segregation. This is different than a personal choice. I do think these laws were a horrible choice, as they prevented the segregation from ending sooner.

MMM

• cofty
    cofty

So would you be OK with "Whites Only" shop signs, an if not what's the difference?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Tell me the difference...

So you (a black man) have a publican refuse to take serve you a beer - so what? Why not go to another bar? Sheesh.

Are there laws preventing me from entering into the bar next door - which is glad to accept black men? In relation to the photographer, this does have religious freedom issues tied to it. But let's say it did not - that the photographer just hates gay people. In other words, she is just a bad person. What policy would be the best to maximize her punishment, while NOT punishing others? If the society does not accept that behavior, then the market will soon see that her business ends (or is badly hurt).

MMM

• cofty
    cofty

Are there laws preventing me from entering into the bar next door - which is glad to accept black men?

I'm stunned that in 2014 anybody would think discrimination should be protected by law.

What policy would be the best to maximize her punishment, while NOT punishing others?

Anybody who wants to discriminate on the basis of colour, race, sex or sexuality deserves to be sanctioned by law.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

So would you be OK with "Whites Only" shop signs, an if not what's the difference?

Personally, no. I think it is repulsive. And so does everyone else. They would go out of business. I don't like the government getting the camel's nose under the tent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR3ChDXCv0I

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit