Supreme Court ruling- refusing to photo gay wedding is discrimination

by SadElder 112 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

DJS - "...And the chimps who haven't figured out how the US Constitutional process works for their entire lives."

Ironic, really, considering just how much so many of them claim to revere said Constitution. :smirk:

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I think it is stupid to turn away business-and stupid to want someone who is disgusted by your lifestyle to take pictures of the most poignant moment in your life with your partner.

Does a business person have the right to refuse service to people or to refuse to do a job? If a contractor comes to my house and I am a satanist and have satanic stuff around, and I THINK that is why they are refusing to remodel the bathroom can I accuse him of discrimination? What if he says he would be uncomfortable? When a contractor doesn't accept to do a job, you just go to the guy who wants your business! I don't get it. I refused to go to the home of a man once when I was housekeeping. I called and canceled, saying I was uncomfortable because of the isolation of his property and the fact that he was male. I was honest-but that is sexual discrimination, right?

OTOH, I grew up at the time that we were raised RELIGIOUSLY to not discriminate-I remember being told I wasn't supposed to think bad things about blacks or asians just because they were people of color and I thought to myself, well, DUH, why would I do that anyway? But at some point, apparently we needed to be taught decency. OTOH, I don't go to the nail salon that made fun of my chubby daughter, in their own language, with many gestures. . . were they abusing her because of her weight? I dont care! Was I discrimninating against them because I could not understand their language or because they were born elsewhere? No, I didn't like their attitude to my girl. I voted with my wallet. I don't think anyone is going to do as good a job if they viscerally dislike or disrespect a person (for whatever reason). One would think that we are evolved enough that common sense could prevail, but I guess we are still subject to going to courts for our slights. Beats blood feuds, I guess!

• DJS
    DJS

Yeah sure. Let's leave it to the individual business to determine who they serve. That might seem rational. I suppose if every x-tian business refused to serve Muslims or women wearing head coverings methinks you might feel a bit differently. Or if the majority refused to serve black people. Should Muslims and Blacks then just go to the next county, city or state or fukking country to find a place that would cut their hair, serve them ice cream or taking their wedding pictures?

Now multiple what you just said by 1000. Now by 1,000,000.

See any difference now? That is why we have the Constitution. The SCOTUS has never ruled in favor of a public for profit enterprise in its desire to discriminate in matters that deal with commerce and free trade. It's in the Constitution. Some of you evidently missed that in Civics class - or in paying attention the past decades.

There is a dividing line between church and state. The free flow of commerce is a compelling interest of the state; it is NO interest of religion. This isn't complicated; some of you just keep making it seem so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit