Same sex marriage legalised in the UK at midnight tonight!!!

by DuvanMuvan 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

I was proud to be British when this law was passed.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Seraphim23 - "...there is undoubtedly an advantage to having a certain percentage of homosexuals in a group of humans when it comes to survival."

Yup.

Reduction in competition among males over females in a group with a disproportionally high percentage of males, for one.

The long-term survival of a species isn't just about procreation.

• DJS
    DJS

And for those right wing religious fanatics in the U.S. who state that allowing gay marriage will harm the family unit as we have known it, this data from "Analyzing Moral Issues (2008):" Countries which have legalized gay marriage have experienced no negative effects to the family unit or to 'traditional' families. As expected.

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Still waiting for the country to fall apart. Anyone know how to build a home-made panic shelter?

• bigmac
    bigmac

i suppose i'm going to be labelled reactionary about my attitude.

what is meant by--marriage--? what is its purpose--?

traditionally--it is the legal uniting of a man--and----a woman. just that. simples.

now--i will deny i'm in any way homophobic--in fact--i have several gay friends--who are living in a committed--loving--- relationship. but--why attatch a label to that relationship that--to me--is simply incorrect. next thing----will one of the couple be referred to--as the wife--? this is--in fact---a purely female word--so--again--is incorrect. ( in this example i'm referring to a 2 x male relationship ).

so--to me--i'm perectly ok about same-sex couples living together--in a loving relationship---but cant a new word be invented to call it--instead of marriage ?

as an aside---can we expect laws to now be passed allowing humans to marry their beloved pets ?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

can we expect laws to now be passed allowing humans to marry their beloved pets ? bigmac

You deny you're in any way homophobic? Dream on.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Cofty,

Thank you so much for the link. Most American lawyers want to know how things work in Britain. We don't have time to research it. If I read correctly,

Labor, Conservative, and the ? I can't recall party aligned with Tories decided to let this happen. This is how choice was brought to New York State. I can't see the Democrats doing it here, let alone the Republicans. Most of our gay rights have come from the judiciary. There is a massive case pending before our Supreme Court. Perhaps I am wrong but I can't see the conservative justices being such bigots. They aren't religious nuts. I am reading a seminar that top judges in democracies around the world held about how judges are selected for work that should be legislative. (The American justice who participated came up through Ted Kenney's office. Burn him. He spoke with foreigners and used the Internet).

So, if this could happen in Britain, what is so messed up about America. Every place I read about how silly American religious beliefs are. Why? Of course, Americans are mostly taught how most Englishmen, esp. the nobles, are gay.

• bigmac
    bigmac

You deny you're in any way homophobic? Dream on.

thats just the response i was expecting. i have several exjw friends who are homosexual--here in the UK. what i wrote above in no way suggests homophobia--but rather a wish to keep some english words in the context they were intended.

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

bigmac that's my 2nd least favourite reason for someone to be against gay marriage. Tradition. Basically the idea that we shouldn't try something new because that's not how people did it before and they felt no need to change it.

I think it's pretty flawed reasoning. Just to illustrate:

*just after marriage was invented*

Person A (gay person wanting to get married): Hey I'm about to marry this man

Person B: Nope, can't do that.

Person A: why not?

Person B: Marriage should be between a man and a woman. God said so and Bob is writing it down somewhere so people don't forget it.

Person A: Yeah bu-

Person B: No same sex marriage. End of.

*present day*

Person A: hey we appreciate the sentiment behind the whole "civil union" thing but it still doesn't feel like we're being treated equally

Person B: yeah well to allow gays to get married would mean that the meaning of the word would be changed

Person A: So? Meanings of words change all the time.

Person B: well that would go against tradition.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Bigmac, words have power, they describe real things. Marriage is an ancient concept from a time when unions were all about property and women being used in negotiations for wealth and power. Now marriage is a word denoting two people loving each other and wanting to tell the world about it. Times change and the meanings of words change don't they?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit