Same sex marriage legalised in the UK at midnight tonight!!!

by DuvanMuvan 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

To the second thing you said, it's not that hard. If they're a man, they're the husband, if they're a woman, they're the wife. you seem to be assuming that there HAS to be a "wife" or it isn't a marriage.

Marriage definition:

1. the formal union of a man and a woman two people, typically as recognized by law, by which they become husband and wife. spouses.

was that really so difficult?

• bigmac
    bigmac

i prefer tradition.

as in--a man--and a woman....get married. its the start of a family. they may well go on to have children--and so on.

if a same sex couple wish to go through some sort of legally--recognised arrangement similar to a man and a woman--fine--but why not take the opportunity to invent a new word for it?

• bigmac
    bigmac

as to the idea of words changing their meaning---heres another two:

conception

pregnancy

how are those words to evolve ?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

IVF. Surrogacy. Sperm donation. Third party reproduction.

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

bigmac you do know you just described a civil union right? Those have been around for a while now. The problem is that by having to place a special label on same sex marriage to "uphold tradition" you're still just saying that the two types of marriage aren't equal.

Then you bring family into it which, nowadays at least, have little to do with marriage. You can have children without being married and vice versa. Also there's this thing called adoption that some people like to try when, for whatever reason, they can't have children naturally. I seriously hope you're not saying gay people shouldn't get married because they can't have children naturally.

The problem with traditions is that people sometimes just blindly follow them. What practical function does having only traditional marriage serve society today that will disappear now that same sex marriage is legal?

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Once again pregnancy and conception, little to nothing to do with marriage.

I always thought two people got married because they loved each other and not because they were biologically capable of making babies. Was I mistaken?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

so--to me--i'm perectly ok about same-sex couples living together--in a loving relationship---but cant a new word be invented to call it--instead of marriage ?

No. It's about equality, get over yourself. I totally get that the change will make many folks uncomfortable and that is understandable, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're homophobic.

It does mean you need to examine your attitude though. Why do you feel that marriage must be between a man and a woman? Just because it's always been that way? As for your comment about people marrying their pets, I'm going to give you a huge margin of doubt and assume that was some lame attempt at humour . . . .

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

I'm sure all his gay friends love that one

kinda weird how you keep bringing that up. Sort of like when someone in denial about being gay says stuff like "I'm not gay, I have a girlfriend" or "I've had sex with a girl so I'm not gay" or the classic "I've got a wife and X children". The fact that you feel the need to prove yourself so much just makes it seem as if you don't believe it yourself

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

if you don't mind me asking bigmac, how old are you? You seem like you're really in favour of "tradition"

• DJS
    DJS

Bigmac,

You almost had me until you equated gay marriage with marrying animals. Get some help, dude. By equating gay marriage with marrying animals you reveal what is in your heart. Sure, you have gay friends. Sure. Rrrrrright. You may have gay acquaintences. No one who knew you thought so little of them would ever want to be your friend.

Marriage, as Xanthippe and DuvanMuvan pointed out, means whatever the culture indicates that it means. Are you so willing to hang on to every other archaic meaning for words? If so we can have a field day with that one. Your thoughts are commonplace in regards the institution and its meaning, but saying they are commonplace doesn't mean they aren't misplaced. They are. Life changes. Cultue and societies evolve. Hop aboard the train.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit