Same sex marriage legalised in the UK at midnight tonight!!!

by DuvanMuvan 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

Title pretty much explains it all. Lots of people are getting married at midnight tonight.

What do you guys think? maybe if anyone gets called on by a jw this weekend you can ask them what they think about it.

im just glad because it shows that religion doesn't define our conscience, that basic human decency can prevail over time and hopefully, these types of gradual but big changes will be present in the wts too in the future

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I agree it's a good thing; there is no sensible argument against this. It will NEVER be acceptable within the Watchtower and other fundamentalist groups however.

• cofty
    cofty

We have come a long way since the days of clause 28

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

If we all get married with someone from the same sex, then mankind eventually will end in the next 100 years...I guess we have evolved because of the male and female intercourse...

• DuvanMuvan
    DuvanMuvan

@Justhuman14 what i really dislike about that response to gay marriage is that it implies that just because a few gay people want to get married, everyone will become gay. Believe it or not, most of the population is straight, so jumping to that conclusion is pretty out there isn't it?

But let's say you were right. Gay marriage is legalised and everyone instanteously becomes gay. Where will all the babies come from? Adpotion will only work in the short run, and so will sperm banks. But it's actually pretty simple.

Say you have two couples living next door to each other. One gay and one lesbian couple. Both of them would like children. Now obviously, having sex with each other would be out of the question. But to say that in 100 years time humankind would be too dumb to know what to do when we have loads of women with eggs and no sperm and loads of men with sperms but no eggs, you obviously have no hope for us as a species.

now back to the real world where only about 4% of the population is gay. You have nothing to worry about. Arguing against something by stating what could probably maybe happen if it were taken to the extreme (which is pretty much impossible in this case) isn't a valid reason

• cofty
    cofty

If we all get married with someone from the same sex...

I haven't read the legislation in detail but I don't think it makes gay marriage compulsory for everybody.

As far as evolution goes sex is very variable. The majority of living things don't do sex at all, many practice bi-sexuality, some can switch from asexual to sexual reproduction depending on resources, some are hermaphrodite, there is a marine flatworm that fights duels to decide who gets to be the male and there is a fungi that has not 2 sexes but 28 000 of them. Apparently number 27 999 is widely considered "unnatural".

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Sea horses are hermaphrodites as well(by the way do you know the exact meaning of the word without google search)

Even in humans we find that a male can have more female hormones, and actually be a man in woman's body!

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Let's see--what was the question again?

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

when my son legally married his partner of 19 years it didn't change anything in his father and my marriage or his sister and her husbands marriage. His neices still plan on marrying males. 'In other words life goes on peacefully. Love to all.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

May I ask what politcal process brought this development? Was it an Act of Parliament? A law lord? I am not certain of the term for the equivalent of a U.S. Surpreme Court justice. I lived in the East Coast gay area-Greenwich Village in NY. Indeed, I recall reading about the Stonewall riots. When I was young, the police sent in a special squad to the bath houses. Men would kill themselves trying to get away. One night they fought back. Heterosexual neighbors, worth millions, who lived in the area came out with bats to help fight off the police. Much has changed.

I wonder if the states will ever catch up with you. One difference - I did not know what homosexuality was or even heard the term until late in high school. Now it is all you hear.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit