Why I remain one of Jehovah's Witnesses

by Brother Jeramy 146 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Brother Jeramy
    Brother Jeramy
    Allow me to begin with a clarification: when I say I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I don't mean that I am an advocate of the Watchtower Society or a devotee of some of its more controversial false teachings. I mean that I am a Christian, a disciple of Jesus Christ dedicated to Jehovah God, and who remains in union with my brothers and sisters who make up the Family of Faith that globally refers to itself as Jehovah's Witnesses.

Some totally understand the distinction between the Family of brothers and sisters and the corporate organization known as the Watchtower Society (WTS). Some don't see the distinction. And yet others don't want to admit the distinction because they're too invested in bitterness and the broad-stroaked negativity such bitterness inspires. To such ones, the WTS and all Jehovah's Witnesses are one and the same "organization," and that it is bad, all bad.

But they are quite simply wrong.

Generalizations are easy and convenient. They give place to negative and reactionary impulses, and permit scapegoating, whereby one can lay the abundance of blame upon something or someone as the cause of all their problems.

Of course, nothing is really ever that easy or simple. Life and people are far too complex to attempt fitting into easy generalized categories.

And so why do I remain one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

A member of this forum posed the following question to me a couple days ago . . .

So why are you engaging in the preaching work and still an "active" WT if you know it's all wrong.
    Here's how I answered:

For starters, the preaching work is a commission from Christ, not the Watchtower Society.

Secondly, I'm not an active "WT," by which I mean that while I am a Christian witness of Jehovah, I am not an advocate of the Watchtower Society that has unrightfully imposed itself as an authority over the Family of my brothers and sisters.

Thirdly, it's not all wrong.

When Jesus was on Earth he preached to the nation of Israel, which had been poisoned by the hypocrisy and bad practices of some (though not all) of the religious leaders. And many of the people were misled, which is why John the Baptizer gathered them to repentance in preparation for Jesus. Yet poisoned as Israel was, it was not "all wrong." What Jesus sought was repentance, not retreat.

And so in a similar way I have chosen to remain with my brothers and sisters, in spite of the poison of the "religious leaders" (i.e., the Watchtower Society and the many elders who bow to it).

Because it's not all wrong.

For me it's about choosing to exist in the tension. Others choose to fade or leave, and I fully understand this and I will not criticize such ones, many of whom have endured terrible injustices at the hands of elders and others. I cannot blame them for fleeing to safety. At the same time, the experience of such ones is not universal. Not all Kingdom Halls have bad elders. Not all Jehovah's Witnesses have experienced the injustices that others have. While the Family as a whole has systemic issues that affect it, those issues are not equally felt across all congregations.

In my case, I also know I am not alone, and that there are a great many others of my brothers and sisters -- a good number of them on here -- who also choose to remain and exist in the tension in spite of doubts, misgivings, struggles, and pains. Because, as with God's people Israel, we see in the Family a convincing embrace of Truth (such as the Kingdom, the Oneness of Jehovah, the promise of resurrection to life on Earth and transformation of the world, etc.) and evidence of the "fruit of the spirit," in spite of the distortions borne of the "poison" of hypocrisy and falsehood that has harmed the Family (though not fully overtaken it).

Those immersed in bitterness and negativity will insist that people like me are "Watchtower apologists," or that we are "cult members" or "liars" or "hypocrites" or "blinded" or "misguided" or "brainwashed." Again, easy and convenient generalizations that are, ultimately, untrue. One poster on another thread even insisted recently that all Jehovah's Witnesses are accomplices in a criminal organization and its criminal enterprise. An absurd notion, to be sure.

But the fact is, I and many like me stay for a rather simple reason. We love and trust Jehovah, and we love our Family. In spite of its current dark issues.
  • DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

No, it's ALL wrong. Keep researching.

And "brainwashing" is 100% accurate.

• Stealth
    Stealth
    Do you turn in a monthly time report?
  • jonza
    jonza

Galatians 1:1-12. States there is only one gospel. The WT does not teach the gospel of the Bible. Far far from it. They have it completely wrong on so many issues and levels, and mostly in major important topics too.

They are also proven false prophets, which the Bible says to stay away from.

They are also proven to be liars, which the Bible also says to turn away from.

If you know these things, and yet are still willing to stay in that organization you are far more delusional than you realize.

These people you call family would chew you up and spit you out the first chance they could get the moment you put a foot out of line. That's not family. That's mixing company with other people who are just as delusional as you, who are fully under the control of 7 old men in NYC

BTW, I'm not a bitter 'apostate'. I've never been a JW.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

In my case, I remain because there is much to lose in terms of family and friendships. Now that TTATT is evident, it is guilt-free the missing of meetings, the low service hours, the pure enjoyment of life is indescribable liberating!

SL

• talesin
    talesin

In Canada, failure to report child sexual abuse is a federal offence. So, many Canadian Jehovah's Witnesses are criminals. They have just not been charged and found guilty in a court of law. That's what criminals do - avoid prosecution.

: )

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

So please explain my bitterness away...

When Jesus was on Earth he preached to the nation of Israel, which had been poisoned by the hypocrisy and bad practices of some (though not all) of the religious leaders. And many of the people were misled, which is why John the Baptizer gathered them to repentance in preparation for Jesus. Yet poisoned as Israel was, it was not "all wrong." What Jesus sought was repentance, not retreat.

-So you mean to say we should be preaching to the GB and the rest of the brothers who fail to see the difference between the WT and the JW?

But they are quite simply wrong.

Generalizations are easy and convenient. They give place to negative and reactionary impulses, and permit scapegoating, whereby one can lay the abundance of blame upon something or someone as the cause of all their problems.

- So you mean "generalizing", like calling all apostates mentally diseased? Like try telling a dad: Your son has decided to leave the organization and therefore he is by definition an apostate (replace "an apostate" with "mentally diseased")

Now excuse my sarcasm. I fail to see how this is a matter of choice. Please explain.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I researched this using the Watchtower CD ROM - to share with fellow Witnesses.

Please read it and compare it with the misnomer which Mr. Rutherford concocted for his own benefit.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/289394/active-jehovahs-witnesses

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

That's ok JerAmy. You stay right where you are; it's apparent it's where you belong.

• nelim
    nelim

1) Do you consider it ethical to preach to people that they have to join a religious group that will force them to (a) lose their life due to blood issue (b) be terribly traumatized in case of sex victims and how elders typically hush this up (c) split up families over disagreements about faith?

If the governing body had a "take it or leave it" approach; like "this is our opinion, if you agree, nice, if not, also fine!" then I might agree with you. But they do not, and anyone who disagrees openly is put under enormous pressure.

2) You say you are not an advocate for the WT Society, but if you preach, then your goal is to get people baptised, which will put them under WT society control. Or do you preach to people warning them not to get baptised or otherwise they might face dire consequences listed under point 1)? I figure then the elders will want to speak to you if they hear about that. That would brand you an apostate.

3) "It is not all wrong". Well, I heard a couple of times at the meetings that 'we' should use the following illustration at the door when preaching to others: would you drink a glass of orange juice if it had only a tiny drop of deadly poison in it? The idea was to compare their religion with that; although it could have "mostly good things", but it was not acceptable to God because of the tiny drop of poison (false teachings). And now you're defending that things are not all wrong?

Such a statement is hard to refute, but I think 99% of all typical JW teachings are unscriptural or when unrelated to the Bible, just straight-out nonsense. Problem is that the Bible is inconsistent, so it depends on where you put emphasis, that defines whatever for you "truth" is. Truth is, it's inconsistent and therefore cannot be the "Word of God".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit