I'm not trying to brag, but being an EXJW is awesome!!! Status Update-

by Coffee House Girl 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

Hello JWN! I don't get to check in here or comment as often as I would like because I have been working so hard at school...but I just have to share my news in hopes that newbees can see that taking the leap to enroll in higher education IS worth it-

I am graduating this spring with a Bachelor Degree in Art History, Minor Anthropology...many people (including nonJW's have given me flack for choosing a "dead end" career path) but since leaving the Watchtower Organization's group-think mentality and "leaning on my own understanding" instead... I decided to say fuck everyone else's opinion...I am going to pursue my passion to work in a museum as a curator or archivist-

To credit my upbringing at a witness kid....I do know how to time manage well, and be studious- so I have worked really hard to keep up my GPA and choose classes that will help me get into a good grad school-

I applied to 8 grad schools (master's degree programs in Art History or Museum Studies...I have no interest in a PhD)...and I went to interview last weekend for my #1 choice: Eastern Illinois University, they have the top reputatioon in the nation for museum studies, and have an extensive network.... graduates have NO trouble getting a job-

I got my letter Tuesday, not only do they want me, but they are offering a full scholarship and a prestigious fellowship at the Art Center...meaning not only do I not have to pay tuition...but I get a paying job in my field as well!!!!

Then I also got an acceptance letter from my 2nd choice, Virginia Commonwealth University, who also has a very well known program. I replied informing them of Eastern Illinois' offer (that it was too hard to pass up)...and they emailed me to say that they wish to match Eastern's offer!!!!!

OMG!!! I am so overwhelmed :) This will be a hard decision indeed....

Thanks for reading...I'm hoping not to come off braggy, I am just so excited and happy....and when I look back at just 4 years ago...I had no hope for the future, just the same old routine and no satisfaction in life- IT IS WORTH IT to pursue in life what you think will make you happy, it is sometimes scary to leap into the unknown, but if you push yourself you won't be sorry!!!

CHG

• will-be-apostate
    will-be-apostate

Congratulation! I'm happy you made it. :) Never let jw thinking bring you down. But to whom am I talking? You obviously didn't let.

When I graduate and get a job I'd like to see the faces of those who said I wouldn't succeed.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Congratulations on your scholarship and job offer when you complete your studies!!

Good for you :)

xo

• out4good3
    out4good3

Congratulations......

Finishging my Masters this Spring as well......

The hard work sooo worth it.

• out4good3
    out4good3

Will-be-apostate

Have a camera ready.....the looks on their faces will be priceless......

True American Express moments.......

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

That's fantastic, good for you. This really shows how taking a risk, working hard and following your passion can really pay off.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Bless you, precious one!

I'm so proud of and happy for you.

Sylvia

• jam
    jam

This is the kind of stuff I love to read. If you leave Jehovah, your

life will turn out to be sh--t. What ever you do in life, you will fail.

I would love to see a publication, Successful young Ex-Jehovahs witnesses,

don't believe hype.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Congrats. Follow you passion.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Awesome, awesome AWESOME!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!! Go for it!

Best,

BOC

Share this