How Many Circuit Overseers And District Overseers Really Believe The Governing Body Is Really The Faithful and Discreet Slave and That The Watchtower Is God's Earthly Organization?

by frankiespeakin 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oppostate
    oppostate

The original discussion can be reached at:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/164699/3/09-INTRIGUE-SPYING-DO-CO-INSIDE-INFO-THE-SPANISH-EXJW-FORUM#.UxPqKxRdXwg

Interesting to pass on what I heard from a substitute-CO about filling in for a regular CO while the CO was in training...

They were testing out whether local brothers could take the lead in circuit visits and then in turn the regular CO would be their trainer.

This was like five years ago. But then the CO's were moved all over again and nothing like that happened.

As to DO's... I knew Bro. Herd as a DO and he could be quite frank about the ordeals he'd gone through as a CO, but he actually seemed to liked being suppressed, having to endure all kinds of hardships and put up with the rules and the regulations that didn't make much sense, but he went along willingly doing his assignments, all this from what he told it like in a very free manner, like if you got a letter with a tongue lashing and you didn't feel that you deserved it he'd just chalk it up to the many times when he'd deserved it and got away without scolding from the Branch. I guess that's how to go up in the hierarchy, and he did, he made it to the GB.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

But what if COs & DOs began to make these type of "damaging" statements/comments from the platform, publicly?

Well, note my first post in this thread ("We thought that was the truth?"), made during a circuit assembly talk by an elder DO. Though not as damaging as a DO saying that he couldn't back up 1914, it was probably a cause of concern to some of the rank and file. Ultimately, this DO's point was that we should continue to follow the organization and then learn the real truth in the new system, so it was still technically a pro-organization statement.

But I think it shocked some JWs because they are used to assuming that the ones taking the lead naturally believe everything they are teaching, and this statement strongly implied that a leader in the org. had some doubts about some teachings. So in that sense, it was a "damaging" remark.

(To be totally honest, I have trouble accepting the assertion that a DO said he couldn't explain 1914 or 1919, unless he's having a nervous breakdown. I would have to hear this story from multiple witnesses, and with a clear context to his remarks, to be confident in it.)

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I don't know ... I have the feelings that some of the information copied and pasted in some comments on this thread sounded from a good numbers of years ago. Is it current?

Eden

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

My father was a CO for 20 years, up until about 3 years ago when he passed away with cancer. He never believed that holy spirit directed the governing body. He just thought they were more genuine in trying to interpret the Bible than any other religion. Somehow he seemed unaware of how much the GB have been elevating themselves over the last few years.

• nimrath
    nimrath

This is interesting and, from an organizational standpoint and speaking as someone who works within a corporate hierarchy, it begs the question of whether or not the current move to downsize (nay, eliminate?) various traveling overseer positions is a planned response to a clear and present threat to GB authority?

"War is too important to leave in the hands of the Generals", ergo, they remove the Generals and interface directly (if by proxy) with the Great Un-Washed Masses.

Speaking as someone that was "raised-in-the-truth" (and I have always hated that expression), and associated on-and-off for fifty-five (55) years, I have seen a lot of changes and modifications. Basically, the current iteration is comparitively unrecognizable when placed beside the organization I grew up with. Dissention at the upper levels can, conceiveably, metasticize into a full-blown schism.

I daresay the one Genie the WTS wishes it could stuff back into the bottle is the Internet. Too much information, too readily available to the novitiates.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Most DO's and CO's are too old to "change". I've been a dub my whole life (now 67 yo) and because I'm not dependent on the WTBTS for my living, I can be honest and say that I wasted most of my life believing the in the WTBTS. No more. I recently heard a DO at the CA say "I know that some of you may be disturbed over smoe of the new light as expressed in the 7/15/13 WT" His words not mine. I truly believe that he was disturbed by the outlandish stuff in that WT.

Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

This spells big trouble for the WT authoritarian power structure. The dirty treatment of the GB has handed out to COs and DOs by retirering them with little or no benefits for years of loyal service to Corporation causes is bound to reverberate thru out the ranks and make many take a second look at their unloving masters.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

This callous treatment of COs, Dos and Bethelites after years of slave labor is bound to have an effect on reruitement of new and younger volunteers to replace them. I don't think their are many who would still blindly make this a career choice after so many are shipped out for the local congregation to look after with little or no financial help from the WT corporation.

Add to this situation the fact that many dates have come and gone with no armegedon happening and no promised New System, means drawing power of such promises are diminishing as expectation postponed make the heart sick with the realization that it ain't gonna happen.

• Magnum
    Magnum

This callous treatment of COs, Dos and Bethelites after years of slave labor is bound to have an effect on reruitement of new and younger volunteers to replace them.

I think the situation in general with JWs today is having an effect on their recruiting/retaining quality young ones. However, among the younger brothers already in, there are many who have tasted power and glory being elders. Once they get to that point, unless they're really genuine & sincere & caring & seeking truth (most aren't), they're hooked. I've been observing the young punk, brown-nosing, big-shot, wannabe company men lately, and believe me, they're only looking at the immediate reward. They crave the glory and power. They're high on it. They're not looking 35 years down the road. Heck, they're telling everybody the sky is falling any hour now. They couldn't care less about the long-term because they're so focused on the glory they get now. Most of them would be nobodies outside the realm of JWdom, but inside, they're adored. They can wear their suits and strutt their perceived stuff. I recently saw one in trainiing for circuit work; it was vomit-provoking. And his little punk wife was sitting in the audience next to the CO and his wife. I was thinking how that little clueless girl wouldn't stand a chance defending JWs against me if I was sloppy drunk & semi-comatose.

As I mentioned in an earlier post or two, the JW realm is far different now from what is was when some of us came in. The amount of info exposing the holes in JW theology, the crazyiness and outright deception in their history, etc. is so vast and easilty accessible now that I think most people with good common sense and decent education (whether schooled or self-educated) would hesitate to become JWs in the first place. If these young punks have advanced to the point of being elders and have received glory and adulation, then they've probably swallowed the hook.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I wouldn't call them punks just for doing a bit of ladder-climbing, but it's true that they are doing it for men, not for God. It's awful hard to feel close to God anyway when you're a Witness. Many of these guys are born-ins. They started off like all children do, wanting to please their parents. And they grew up on that same trajectory, still wanting to please their parents and people in general. It's sort of like growing up in an institution; they can't really imagine life outside the system, so the only thing to do with themselves is climb the ladder...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit