Being an Atheist Is Bad For Your Health

by Space Madness 71 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

The fact that people living in countries with low crime, a good ecomony, excellent schools, and good healthcare were killing themselves 10 to 30 times more often than people living in countries with no job, no education, hardly any food, and no healthcare is a powerful testimony of the benefits of believeing in God.

Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions. Karl Marx - Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

There are lots of atheists who have died in religious inspired bloodshed...NOT There are lots of atheist fundamentalists commiting acts of terrorism...NOT. Looking at a place like Egypt - they may have less deaths from suicide but they have a lot more deaths from religious inspired violence. Same in India, Sri Lanka etc.

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

Space- so in these studies what are the specific triggers attributed to suicide among atheists.

Durkeim's main hypothesis was that people who were less integrated into society (more isolated from other people) were more likely to commit suicide. Since people who aren't religious place more stress on indiviual achievements and not on group activies such as religious gatherings or volunteer work, they would be more prone to suicide. Other factors he thought would contribute to suicide was being single, not having kids, and being well educated.

Populations living in the countries you've named, are not living "peacefully"

Sigh. I mean they have inner peace. That despite the fact that they are living in the worse conditons on earth, they are content with their lives and continue to live life by getting married and raising children.

If its your own comparison, please show us your figures. And, as a good student, you should be analysing the sources that discuss what is known about possible other reasons for suicide in any one country.

I post it tommorrow. It's 5:40am and I haven't slept yet.

• cofty
    cofty

Émile Durkheim was born in 1858.

• cantleave
    cantleave

In the late 19th and early 20th century when Durkheim was writing, being an atheist was somewhat stigmatised and definitely a minority view.

• Laika
    Laika

I can see how being an atheist could lead to more issues with loneliness than those who have a ready made religious community, particularly if they're post religious. Meanwhile, since this is clearly not just theoretical for Space Madness I think it might be helpful if some of the atheists here gave SM some advice on how to find contentment where he's at.

• prologos
    prologos

Perhaps space madness you equated atheism with space madness.

It is madness to go into space and live in the bleakness of these terrible maschines, battling vertigo, motion sickness. It can make you very homesick for the comfort of your natural environment provided by your family, the earth.

dei-ism, theism provides that equivalent mental comfort of home, wether the fuzzy feeling of belief in God is realistic or not, it keeps you on an even keel,

keeps you from killing yourself, wether it helps? probably.

People in developping countries have no high expectations, naively believe in the unrealistic promises of the utopian religious teachings, do not expect justice to come in this life, and might feel more comfortable, content than then those having to face the crass competition in the top-earner nations.

• Laika
    Laika

Space Madness

Though I am not an atheist, the more I think about this thread the more it worries me that you feel empty, depressed and suicidal and possibly think this is inevitable now you're an atheist. This board is a living testimony to the fact that you can be an ExJW atheist living a good life. Please don't give up hope and don't be afraid to seek professional help if you need it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

An article mentioning both Durkheim and Haidt.

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2012/08/5638/

Suicide rate, 2009, reporting countries:

Athiesm world map:

Athiesm world map

What elements of the athiest's moral life might make him more prone to suicide?

• His moral matrix is flexible, malleable and highly individualilzed. Suicide might come to be seen as a viable alternative.
    • Religious communities might have a specific prohibition on suicide, with shame attached. Social pressure may cause some to pause before the act, giving time for intervention.
    • Being part of a religion means being part of a community. In a healthy community, people watch out for each other. There could be more supports.

Russia stands out on this world map. Living in the north and the accompanying SAD also has an impact. My dad recently read an article that vodka wreaks havoc on the body, more so say, than the beer-loving alcoholics in Britain. Vodka drinkers die young.

Brazil runs on the other end of this scale; lower athiest and lower suicide rate.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Have you ever thought you still might not be an atheist? Just because you doubt it does not mean you have to take a stance that you are not ready for. You don't have to fully drop all of your beliefs at once.

When you talk about more suicides among Atheits I just want to ask why beleivers then commit suicide when they know is a sin?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit