Being an Atheist Is Bad For Your Health

by Space Madness 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

I stopped believing in God in July 2013. In the first 3 months or so I felt liberated and relieved that I can live my life anyway I wanted without worrying about an invisible being watching my every move. I also felt slightly superior that I was able to figure out that God isn't real while the majority of mankind continued to be fooled. Atfer the feelings of excitment statrted to wear off, I started to become more depressed and empty. It wasn't until 6 months or so after becoming an atheist that I realized that I'm sadder than I ever been in my life. I thought these were just my personal feelings and that most atheist remain happy, I found out however that this isn't the case.

I'm taking a sociology course this semester and we are discussing Emile Durkheim's study of suicide. Durkheim hypothesized on different variables that increased a person's likelihood of committing suicide. One of the variables was being an atheist. I was shocked to see that regardless of whether or not a country was rich or poor, if it contained a high percentage of atheist, it also had a high(>10 per 100,000) suicide rate. Countries such as China, South Korea, Japan, France, Finland, Belgium, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, and Canada all have significantly higher suicide rates than poor religious countries such as Haiti, Jamaica, Syria, Egypt, Peru, Pakistan, Jordan, Brazil, Mexico, and Venezuela. The fact that people living in countries with low crime, a good ecomony, excellent schools, and good healthcare were killing themselves 10 to 30 times more often than people living in countries with no job, no education, hardly any food, and no healthcare is a powerful testimony of the benefits of believeing in God.

Another studied showed that atheist are also more depressed than religious people and don't give nearly as much money to charity as religious people. After being an atheist for 7 months, I can say that at least in my case these studies have been very accurate. I never suffered from major depression or been suicidal until I became an atheist. In general people who believe in God are much happier than athiest and their belief in God gives them strenght through tough times, which is why they can live peacefully in third world countries while atheist are killing themselves despite living in much better conditions.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Isn't there a saying: Ignorance is bliss??

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Umm! You mean the Emile Durkheim who died in 1917?

And, you are arguing that he clearly identified atheism as a major factor in suicide?

(Just getting your position clear).

(edited to correct typo)

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I know where you're coming from. I miss 'god' because it was nice to have a crutch in life. Now it's just me...

• Laika
    Laika

I find it genuinely surprising that you were happier as a JW, but mostly I'm sorry you're going through a tough time right now and I hope you can find some meaning. :/

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

And, you are arguing that he clearly identified atheism as a major factor in suicide?

Yes. The statistics confirms that hypothesis.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

poor religious countries such as

-Haiti
    -Jamaica
    -Syria
    -Egypt
    -Peru
    -Pakistan
    -Jordan
    -Brazil
    -Mexico
    -Venezuela

live peacefully in third world countries

Really?

You should look again.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Space Madness:

Yes. The statistics confirms that hypothesis.

Will you please provide the reference(s)

Thnks

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

hmmm - I'll be watching this thread with interest too. One thing I can add is that economic security and wealth does not co-relate with happiness in itself and sometimes the methods used to achieve security and wealth actually produces dissatisfaction. On the other hand If Durkeim was saying being an atheist is bad for your health what was he (and those who follow his methods) basing conclusions on? censuses?

edit: and then too which group of atheists are more prone to suicide.

• designs
    designs

I enjoyed praying when I was a believer. I found comfort in the Lord's Prayer. Then pop it was over, and praying, I realized, was only talking to the paint on the walls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit