On a Scale of 1 to 10---How Devoted Were You To Being One of Jehovah's Witnesses?

by minimus 72 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild

I was very devoted even when I was on the back row DF'd. I was a die hard 10 trying to please all the time. Then I learned TTATT and left, I was never anything but a 10. Kate xx

• Giordano
    Giordano

I'll confess I was not devoted. Introduced to the JW beliefs at 12...... baptized at 16 pioneered where the need was great at 18 left it all at 22-23. I don't think I ever really believed any of it but it was my lifestyle, family and friends so it took me a couple of years to deprogram myself. I guess I was a 3-5 at best....if that. However it all worked out because that's how I met my wife. What I didn't know about her though was she never believed in any of it! It was just part of her life. So here we were pioneering....... knocking on people's doors and between us we possessed the religious belief of a turnip.

So when I was intellectually and emotionally out I sat down with my beloved and told her I no longer believed. I started to tell her why and she raised her hand to stop me and said "I never believed in any of it....I just went along with it because I thought you did".

• Shanagirl
    Shanagirl

I was a devout 10+. Studied zealously, got baptized met my born in JW hubby, had our children who grew up in the "truth, Raised them in the "mental regulating of Jehovah", Hubby servant, on his way to becoming elder, Oldest son went to bethel, Daughter and I pioneered, But it all came crashing down when the reality set in. I told the family I could never go back to a KH, They followed, we never looked back.

Shana

• SAHS
    SAHS

0 to 10 yrs. old: 10/10 (born-in, that’s all I knew)

10 to 13 yrs. old: 9/10 (beginning doubt of surviving Armageddon)

13 to 16 yrs. old: 7/10 (increasing double-life: smoking, swearing at school, bizarre sexual fantasies, etc.; greatly increased fear of dying at Armageddon)

16 to 33 yrs. old: 5/10 (" " " " " " " " " " " " ")

33 to 47 yrs. old: 0/10 (discovered this site & TTATT; not really any more fear of dying at Armageddon; currently atheist with some agnosticism: somewhat open-minded but within a very scientific context)

• minimus
    minimus

I'm fascinated by these numbers.

I must wonder how many that still go to meetings would rate.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Minimus:

There is that unknown percentage of people in any given hall (who I don't envy) who are "faking" it.

They might have family or business connections and can't afford to rock the boat. They are held hostage and I am sure they hate every minute of being in the religion!

Makes me really value my freedom!

• SAHS
    SAHS

“LongHairGal”:They might have family or business connections and can't afford to rock the boat. They are held hostage and I am sure they hate every minute of being in the religion!”

Take it from me, you ain’t whistling Dixie!

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

never above 3

i hated everything about being a jw

never wanted to reachout to become a ms/elder/pioneer and never did become one.

gave talks on only a handfull of occasions

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

There was a period of time - a transition - towards knowing TTATT. I went from a believer to a person that really wanted to believe. I convinced myself that if I really understood what I believed my conviction would be self evident. Thus, I studied and the result was that I learned TTATT.

It was a very scary experience. I was physically ill from what I learned. But from that process I grew into a very different person. I hope a better person.

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

Damn, so many of you were 10s. Crazy, but I guess the more overzealous most people were, the harder they feel the disillusionment of finding out they've been wasting their time. The most outspoken "apostates" seem to be those that fell for it much harder than most.

Personally, I was always around 6 or 7 when I was a teenager and I didn't start seeing too many problems until my last year in high school. I believed, but I didn't like all the responsibility/pressure of "stepping up or reaching out" for more "priviledges". I guess I'm a 1 now since I still attend meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit