Our friend FARKEL has died

by Nathan Natas 241 Replies latest members private

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Smart and funny. Quite a character. I'll miss seeing his posts on here. RIP

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

The following appears to be an obit of an older brother which references Douglas W.:

Duane (Duke) Checketts, age 77, died September 4, 2001, of complications from pneumonia.

Born in Farmington, Utah, March 8, 1924 to Floyd R. and Dora W. Checketts. Married Bette Lou Fifield, June 2, 1946. In the prewar era, he worked as a welder for the San Francisco Bethlehem shipyards.

He observed very heavy action as a veteran in Word War II South Pacific theater. He taught damage control in San Diego, and a teacher of acetylene welding classed in Pocatello, Idaho.

Employed by Williamsen Truck Equipment, Ogden, Utah, 1946. Salt Lake City plant, shop superintendent and salesman, 37 years. Later Precision Technology, Inc., eight years.

He joyfully and unselfishly served as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, visiting from door-to-door with a strong hope he faithfully believed...a generous and loving man.

Survivors; wife, Bette; son, Douglas D., San Diego, CA; daughter, Patty L. Smith, Salt Lake City; eight grandchildren; sister Nadine Ricks, Las Vegas, NV; brother, Stanley J. Checketts, Providence, UT. Preceded in death by his parents, a sister, Mary Ann Parker, and brother, Douglas W. Checketts.

Memorial Services will be Saturday 2 p.m., at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, 2400 S. 600 E., Salt Lake City. Interment will be in the Providence Cemetery later that day.

• Simon
    Simon

That's sad news - he's one of the original forum members and helped turn this place into what it is.

He's posted some insighful things and also some funny stuff - I remember the looney tunes kingdom melodies.

Sad that we'll be without him now.

• Imminent1975
    Imminent1975

This is sad, RIP Farkel. We love you.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

FatFreek, if I may, a gentle correction:

"Duke" was Douglas D "Farkel"'s DAD. Bette was Farkel's Mom (still living). Patty was Farkel's sister.

I don't know if Farkel's family has yet been notified, today the coroner's office wasn't picking up the phone.

Thanks, everyone.

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

SAD...'The best fade ever'....You will be missed man!

insot4

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

He will be missed

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Sad news. He will be missed.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I clicked on ActiveTopics and saw that one of his posts from 12 years ago was brought to the top. And I smiled. Such classic posting back when this board was young.

Then a few lines down and I find this thread. And my smile turned to sadness.

I never met him but respected his work from those times. His health problems from the past few years were sobering to me.

RIP Farkel. You will be remembered for a long time by us here on JWN and, I'm sure, many, many others whose lives you have touched.

-Aude.

• Ding
    Ding

Very sorry to hear this news.

Thanks for letting us know, Nathan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit