3 years of study, Just found out!

by impala63rag 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

One thing I find ironic in the JW world: If you leave your church to become a JW, you are "Brave." If you leave the JW's for ANY reason, you are now an apostate working for Satan.

valkyrie: That thought crossed my mind, too. Maybe they will keep coming around... but it's hard to hold out hope for anyone who regularly attends meetings. The indoctrination language is so strong.

Joe: I believe that they never told him about the details he didn't need to know about the JW's. I studied on and off for more than 3 years (we had long spells without studying, then would go back to it)... They never once told us about the faithful and discreet slave. NOT once. We heard comments about the slave at meetings, and just thought, "WTH is that? That's not in the paragraph..."

problemaddict: Our BS conductor cornered my husband one time, while I was putting our babies to bed. He tried the "tough guy" act on my husband (an Army veteran with 2 college degrees). He said, "Make some progress, or the blood of your family is on your hands..." or something very similar to what you described. I had his wife one time, whining about how she would have "blood guilt" if she didn't help me.

There were red flags from our teachers, but people are quirky sometimes... I really gave them the benefit of the doubt, UNTIL I asked some serious questions and they refused to answer.

To this day, NOT A SINGLE JW that I have seen, has EVER asked me WHY we stopped attending the meetings! ??? For 2 years, I waited for that question to arise... NO one. I saw my "friend" that I still dearly love, last May. I said, "Don't you want to know why we stopped coming?" She said,"I heard some stories, but I don't know the whole story. If you want to tell me sometime, I'm glad to listen..." but she quickly changed the subject. At the time, she was GLOWING with excitement over the New Light that was being revealed in the July 2013 Watchtower. I was so shocked by her cult response, I didn't know what to do at that moment.

I have run into JW's from the KH we attended for over a year, at least 20 times, either AT my door (racking up service time by "checking in on me") or crossing paths in public (like at the grocery store, where I literally have to touch them to get them to look at me - their blinders are very thick in public). We get the same line every time... "We miss you at the meetings." Never once, "What happened? Are you ok? Why don't you come back?" I have gone through so many emotions in recovering from the whole JW affair... I am finally at the point now, where I just feel sorry for them and wish I could help them wake them up. Too bad there isn't a pill that would take scales off eyes! :)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

We get the same line every time... "We miss you at the meetings."

Really? Then why haven't you called or stopped by? ... BLINK, BLINK, SMILE ...

• smiddy
    smiddy

Impala63rag,

The more I read of this persons posts , the more skeptical I am of this person.Red flags are going off left right and centre .3 years and not knowing their neutrality stance ? about politics ? Local government ?Even if he/she only had a study once a month thats still 36 studies , I prsume they had more than that , what the hell did they talk about ? JW`s are so focused on the end of this system of things and Armageddon , the New World and Paradise , its hard to beleive that poitics / war / neutrality / WT organization and being obedient to them would never come up .

Then after all that has been presented on this thread he/she would still like the study to continue ? !!

I`m sorry this person has lost all credability in my books.

smiddy

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

SMIDDY= I have to agree with you. To many red flags. I'm beginning to think it could perhaps be watchtower trying to Guage the replies it would get. If it is im glade that you could join us.

• impala63rag
    impala63rag

Thank you all for your responses and sharing very intimate details of your experiences. Most of you have had to go through so much pain. I can tell you all are very kind and considerate for being willing to help someone in need with warm words of wisdom. I wasn't able to respond yesterday due to a posting limit set by the forums, although I did re-edit a previous post several times in an attempt to respond. I will know more about what is going to happen today. They are coming over for a Bible study this afternoon. I will ask some tough questions, but in a very considerate way. I love them, and hope this doesn't hurt our friendship.

I watched the JW movie that was posted with a YouTube link. It was very sad, but I enjoyed it and it gave me a better insight into how this all works.

[Quote]"If you haven’t already, read the “Bible Teach” book over the course of several days," [Quote]

I have not read it in its entirety. We are about halfway through it. We normally don’t go by the book. I usually have topics for them based on real world occurrences. When we do go by the book, we rarely get past one paragraph because another subject usually comes up. I will say though that when we have a guest JW come to the study, it is dramatically different. I met one gentleman that looked like he was running for president; a leader in the church who I know spoke at some major convention last year.

[Quote] 1) As was mentioned before, Witnesses track the time they spend preaching, some have a minimum number of hours they need to hit to maintain a congregational title.[Quote]

He has told me he is an Elder in the congregation and travels to other congregations to speak regularly. I know they take turns inside the congregation giving the lead, but the service I went to last week he gave the talk.

[Quote]If you told them that you did not want to become a Witness but wanted to keep them as a friend, they would decline and drop you from any social interaction.[Quote]

I certainly hope this isn't so, I really do love them.

[Quote]but on the same token they are told that all non-Witnesses are followers of Satan.[Quote]

This was another thing that really surprised me. We have had numerous discussions about other religions that had an open and caring attitude toward them. We have had conversations about Islamic, Muslim, Taoism, Hinduism, Jewish, Catholicism, Mormons, Baptists, and Evangelists. Those are all that I really recall.

The shocker was last week when we were having the conversation about politics with the new member. I made a comment about the election process and that it shouldn't cost so much (maybe by allotting a certain amount of public T.V. time to a wide range of candidates). Thereby making it easier for the average person to have the opportunity to serve. I said "that way possibly a pastor could run for office". It was met with a negative response although I don’t remember the exact wording and do not wish to mis-quote.

[Quote]Personally I told my family I was not going to be a Witness and shortly after that, one by one they all told me that they would never speak to me again. That was 7 years ago.[Quote]

I am very sorry to hear that. The Church in my opinion is supposed to bring families together, not break them apart. God bless you.

[Quote]hey impala for the horde[Quote]

Pfft, my allegiance is with the Alliance! I've been playing since vanilla, (8 years). A 90 of every class, multiple 90's in a few classes, I'm a WoW millionaire, and play on Sargeras mostly. but also, Frostmourne, Azgalor, Illidan, Wildhammer, and Tichondrius.

[Quote] if you werent serious about getting baptised after a year we were told to move on[Quote]

Being Baptized was never even mentioned, they knew I was Baptized as a child coming from a Catholic upbringing.

[Quote]she started crying, said the blood of my wife and babies would be on my hands if I didn't turn back[Quote]

God bless you, please do not believe there is any truth to that. I am sure you do not, but I cannot even imagine what you are going through. My prayers are with you and yours.

[Quote]I'm sorry mate but a lot of what you are saying just doesn't add up. I'm sorry but I'm struggling with the fact that you could study with someone for 3 years and not know about some of their key policies.[Quote]

I think I have discussed the things I did actually know and those I have not, but I'll re-cap. I obviously knew about the 144,000 ( funny story I actually told a joke to them about that the first time I met them, Why go around telling everyone about Jehovah when only 144,000 get into Heaven, kind of hurting your chances of getting in isn’t it?) I knew that the couple I studied with didn't watch the news or anything other than G rated movies, but I thought that was a personal choice, not something they were told to do. They did tell me that JW's don’t fight in wars. Although nothing was mentioned about firearms. I was never told about dis-fellowshipping, actually never even heard of it till this week. I never heard anything about a governing body or a faithful slave, being politically neutral or anything on the subject. They did mention that they do not do blood transfusions, but again I was under the impression that was a personal opinion. Of course they obviously wouldn't say anything to me about my hair, beard, tattoos or Alcoholics Anonymous, (next month I will be 10 years clean in Narcotics Anonymous) I actually spend a lot of time volunteering at a local rehab.

[Quote] He said, "Make some progress, or the blood of your family is on your hands..."[Quote]

That would be about the same time he found the door.

[Quote]3 years and not knowing their neutrality stance ? about politics ? Local government ?[Quote]

If I knew I wouldn't have studied at all.

[Quote]Even if he/she only had a study once a month thats still 36 studies[Quote]

We have studied weekly since December of 2010, for about 4 hours at a time. They show up at 1:30 on the dot and leave about 5:00. Someone else had originally knocked on the door, but I was passed off to the couple that I study with after a couple visits.

[Quote]what the hell did they talk about ?[Quote]

The Bible. I have a very inquisitive mind.

[Quote] its hard to beleive that poitics / war / neutrality / WT organization and being obedient to them would never come up.[Quote]

Politics and War, yes. I am very political and made countless political comments to which I never got a clear response as to their stance. As for war, they told me that JW's don’t fight in wars because it is a sin to kill, that is understandable.

[Quote]Then after all that has been presented on this thread he/she would still like the study to continue ? !![Quote]

Yes, as long as we can keep it the way it has been all this time. I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid though.

[Quote]I'm beginning to think it could perhaps be watchtower trying to Guage the replies it would get.[Quote]

I am not affiliated with the Watchtower or Jehovah's Witnesses outside of a weekly study and a meeting attendance last week. I would be glad to provide my Facebook info if you are curious as to who I am.

How do I update my avatar on this site? I made a gravatar acct. but it is not updating.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I will say though that when we have a guest JW come to the study, it is dramatically different. I met one gentleman that looked like he was running for president; a leader in the church who I know spoke at some major convention last year.

Oh, interesting. It sounds like you had a circuit overseer invited to your study. They are traveling overseers in the area's congregations. Very good company men; some are decent guys, but some are more like politicians. While a CO is present, your study conductor would be expected to follow the book (literally and metaphorically). COs typically go on a couple studies or more during their week-long visits with each congregation in the circuit, and I wouldn't be surprised if they told your conductor to dump you if they knew how long you'd been studying. That being said, I do know other Bible students who took years to come into the religion, so some JWs are willing to take that long to try to bring someone in.

Being Baptized was never even mentioned, they knew I was Baptized as a child coming from a Catholic upbringing

Umm... you do realize that your baptism is meaningless in the eyes of a Witness, right? I mean, besides the fact that JWs do not believe in child baptism, they would also expect you to renounce your membership in any church in which you're active. A baptism in that church would be considered inherently worthless since it is a false religion (the worst of the false religions, in their eyes).

We have studied weekly since December of 2010, for about 4 hours at a time

Oh my God, you are the goose that laid the golden field service report. I would be very wary about your relationship with your study conductor. Perhaps he thinks of you as a friend, but since you are supplying him with so many hours, it makes it a bit more likely that he might be seeing precious hours, like cartoon dollar signs, in his eyes when he looks at you. I hope that's not the case, but as someone else said, if you were to suggest that you aren't ever going to join the religion based on what you've learned, you might learn a lot from his reaction.

I am very political and made countless political comments to which I never got a clear response as to their stance

This is a classic example of a JW avoiding a subject they know will be controversial. Yes, JWs are politically neutral like the first Christians were [citation needed?]. A JW making even a slightly political comment among other JWs is potentially dangerous.

• 20yearfader
    20yearfader

impala i sent you a pm

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

You don't need a Bible study. No one does. Just grab a reputable translation, which the NWT is not, and start reading verse after verse. Does it make sense to you? They prob. know very little Bible knowledge. JWs don't study the Bible ever. We study WT literature. Once I left, I took a college course on the New Testament. I kept leaving the library to call home. The Witnesses were wrong about even express items written in the Bible. It could be that the GB is becoming more authoritative. The Bible convinced me. We had to read secondary sources, too. It was just a fluff course for me. I ended up wanting to study at a prominent seminary. There were two insurmountable problems. 1. Koine Greek requirement 2. finding a paying job.

I had no idea until after college graduation but the area is called the Protestant Vatican. Within a few short blocks, there is an incredible concentration of church agencies and churches. It started with Rockefeller grants. I was able to meet world famous scholars in a very small setting. The JWs are mostly uneducated. One can be Christian and highly educated. I never attended churches that had secret speak (well the Episcopal Church has Elizabethan, Latin, and French speak). The laity has much to say and do in these churches. If anyone imposed doctrine, the laity would walk or sue. I've met priests who are horrified by worshipful laity.

I could give you highlights of how painful my time as a Witness was. What it is like to be a little kid and hear Christmas regarded as highly evil. No presents all year. What it is like to visit Roman Catholic neighbors and pose under their tree for photographs, holding the gifts of the neighbor children. Returning home to nothing. I signed up for MS about ten or eleven years old. The brother made fun of me. Thank God for public school. My teachers gently but assertively directed me to college without it being war between my parents and teachers. I saw the lifestyle of the teachers vs. the lifestyle at the KH and home.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Apog: besides the fact that JWs do not believe in child baptism

--

Since when?

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

impala: my avatar comes from my wordpress account. I had no idea my guilty dog face would show up, when I joined this site.

Good luck today!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit