3 years of study, Just found out!

by impala63rag 137 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I can not tell what you should do, but doesn't it bother you that in three years of study they did not tell you so many very important things? Why would they wait for you to find out about disfellowshiping, voting, etc? These are major teachings that will impact you in a big way if you proceed to baptism. My family has been torn apart by the disfellowshiping policies. I once shunned by sister because they made me think it was the right thing, I finally left, but then my sister went back because they would not let her see her grandchildren. Now she shuns me. You will find most families have people that they shun, simply for not wanting to be in this religion. Is this what you want in your life?

Even worse they say they only disfellowship very bad, unrepentant sinners. This is not true, it depends very much on the elders involved, some are sincerely trying to do their job, some use this power to do evil. You can be disfellowshipped for questioning any teaching of the Watchtower, your family will shun you and you cannot tell your side of the story.

Think very carefully before you proceed. Read up on cults. Check out howcultswork.com, if you understand how cults work, you will not be mislead by them. The JWs are a cult. When I was a JW I didn't think I was in a cult, but since I left I have come to realize that it is very much a cult. You must do what the Governing Body, eight men in Brooklyn, decide. They say no blood transfusions, if you get one to save your life you will be disfellowshipped. They do not allow you to use your own conscience to decide what to do, you must obey them, even when they change and flip flop on doctrines.

The worst thing about them is that they have predicted the end of the world many times, all of them wrong of course. 1914, 1925, 1975. I was around in 75, they said I would not have time for a career in this system of things. I am 59, soon to retire. They have lied and concealed their past, they now deny they predicted the end, but I was there, every JW thought Armageddon was coming in 1975.

This is not a good way to be a Christian, there are many other churches that will teach you about Christ without all the cult nonsense. This is not a religion where people show love, quite the opposite, they are very judgemental. The bible says the mark of true Christians is that they have live amongst themselves, trust me in thirty years in this religion they did show that.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

I'd strongly recommend looking at jwfacts . com as well.

Please do.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"A basis for approved fellowship with Jehovahs Witnesses cannot rest merely on a belief in God, in the Bible, in Jesus Christ, and so forth. Simply professing to have such beliefs would not authorize one to be known as one of Jehovahs Witnesses. Approved association with Jehovahs Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovahs Witnesses" (Watchtower, April 1, 1986, p. 31).

"scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah's Witnesses" means beliefs that are not found in the Bible, but JWs must believe them anyway.

You have been studying three years but vital information has been withheld from you. Does this indicate honesty on the part of JWs? Or secrecy? If secrecy, what are they so embarrassed about that they don't want you to know? Consider this quote from WT literature:

"Every man should be persuaded in his own mind and no man should permit himself to be deterred from examining a question based upon the Bible because a clergyman or any one else makes the unsupported assertion that it is dangerous or unworthy of consideration. Error always seeks the dark, while truth is always enhanced by the light. Error never desires to be investigated. Light always courts a thorough and complete investigation. - "Millions Now Living Will Never Die", page 18.

• impala63rag
    impala63rag

I did as was suggested and read this week’s study edition of the WatchTower. Here is what it contains and what my opinions on it are.

8“Now we are giving you orders, brothers, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, to withdraw from every brother walking disorderly.” He then specifically mentioned Christians who did “not want to work.” (2 Thess. 3:6, 10) But if those were considered disorderly, how much more would that be true of ones who were veering toward apostasy! Yes, close association with such individuals back then was especially dangerous and was to be avoided—and that is also true today.—Prov. 13:20.

myopinion... 8, Here is the Dis-fellowshipping that was discussed.

9We are nearing the outbreak of the great tribulation and the end of this wicked system, so those inspired warnings given in the first century take on greater significance. We definitely do not want to ‘miss the purpose’ of Jehovah’s undeserved kindness and lose out on the promise of everlasting life, be that in heaven or on earth. (2 Cor. 6:1) If ever someone attending our congregation meetings would try to entice us into discussions of personal speculations or critical conversations, we should definitely be on guard.—2 Thess. 3:13-15.

myopinion... 9, couple things here, it seems as if they are saying do as we tell you or you will not go to Heaven? And it is coming soon so don't miss the boat. And are they really saying not to have discussions with someone who is unsure or has an opinion?

“MAINTAIN YOUR HOLD ONTHE TRADITIONS”

10 Paul urged his brothers in Thessalonica to “stand firm” and stick to what they had learned. (Read 2 Thessalonians 2:15.) What were “the traditions” that they had been taught? Certainly not those held by false religion and promoted as if they were as valuable as what is found in the Scriptures.

myopinion... 10, seems rather closed minded- like they are saying not to entertain an idea that someone is trying to convey that might belong to another denomination.

11 When writing to the Hebrews, Paul drew attention to two ways that a Christian might lose faith and fail to stand firm. (Read Hebrews 2:1; 3:12.) He spoke of ‘drifting away’ and of ‘drawing away.’ A boat that drifts away from the riverbank may do so imperceptibly at first. Gradually, the gap increases. On the other hand, the man who pushes his boat away from the bank distances it from the shore by his own actions. Both courses well illustrate the situation of some who fall prey to deception, allowing their confidence in the truth to weaken.

myopinion... 11, I think this is referring to those that try to casually remove themselves from the congregation without formally being dis-fellowshipped. Or maybe just that members need to give the congregation everything they can in terms of time and devotion.

12 That may have been the case with some of the Thessalonians. And what of today? Time-wasting pursuits abound. Think about how many hours are spent keeping in contact through social networks, reading and answering electronic messages, avidly pursuing hobbies, or constantly keeping abreast of sports events. Any one of these activities could distract a Christian and weaken his zeal. The result? Heartfelt prayer, study of God’s Word, meeting attendance, and preaching the good news might suffer. What can we do to avoid thus being quickly shaken from our reason?

myopinion... 12, This is pretty clear, now I see why I had read no sports etc. Are they really also saying don't browse Facebook, Read, Text with friends, have a Hobby, or watch Sports?

PROTECTION AGAINST BEING SHAKEN

13 One thing that we definitely need to do is remain aware of the time we are living in and the potential effect of association with those who refuse to acknowledge that these are “the last days.”

myopinion... 13, So now I am to believe we are in the last days, and not to associate with anyone who doesn't think so?

• smiddy
    smiddy

myopinion... 9, couple things here, it seems as if they are saying do as we tell you or you will not go to Heaven? And it is coming soon so don't miss the boat. And are they really saying not to have discussions with someone who is unsure or has an opinion?

I say again impala63rag You have been studying with the witnesses for 3 years and you still dont know that you will not go to heaven ? if you become a jehovahs witness ? They teach that only a limited number 144000 to be exact , from the time of Christ till now will get to heaven , no more, only 144000 . If you became a baptised witness , you will not be going to heaven , you can only look forward to endless life on earth filled with jehovahs witnesses.

I think I would rather choose christendoms hellfire than endure that prospect.

smiddy

• impala63rag
    impala63rag

"I say again impala63rag You have been studying with the witnesses for 3 years and you still dont know that you will not go to heaven ? if you become a jehovahs witness ? They teach that only a limited number 144000 to be exact , from the time of Christ till now will get to heaven , no more, only 144000 . If you became a baptised witness , you will not be going to heaven , you can only look forward to endless life on earth filled with jehovahs witnesses."

Yes, we have covered that in detail.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Welcome impala63reg! Finally, someone like me!

I also studied with the JWs for years, and discovered the "truth about the truth" before joining. My husband and I discovered facts about them in a slightly different way (by stumbling upon a revealing TV show made in the 80's by John Ankerberg). Our BS *bible study* conductor went into a strange fit-like response, when we posed questions to him that came from *gasp* apostates. Ex-JWs are the absolute worst people you can talk to or llisten to... if you bring anything you have read here back to your "friend," you can be sure that friendship will end abruptly.

That is why they want you to use their Bible Teach book... very early in the process, you are warned about listening to people outside the organization. This week's Watchtower article reminds JWs not to listen to "outsiders," or even insiders who might question the absolute authority of the governing body. Ask your teacher about the "faithful and discreet slave," and what that means. Who is the slave? What if you don't agree with something the slave tells you to do?

Paragraph 17 of this week's article (that you have read) will have the congregation read aloud from 1 Thessalonians. It will contain a sentence, reminding the people to OBEY. This is a follow-up from an article they discussed about a month ago, in which the faithful and discreet slave has told the JW's to get ready to "obey instructions we give you, whether they make sense from a human standpoint or not." Go to jw.org, read Watchtower November 15, 2013 study edition. I think it is page 20, paragraph 17.

There is recent news coming out of the GOVERNING BODY facing criminal charges in Pennsylvania, for their involvement in covering up child sexual abuse. This has been happening for decades in this organization. They have a 2-witness rule for any sin that is committed. If 2 people didn't see it, it didn't happen... they protect pedofiles. They treat child sexual abuse as a sin, not a CRIME. Google the name Candace Conti and Jehovah's Witnesses. She has been awarded over $20 million to be paid by the Watchtower Society for its policies that led to her repeated abuse being covered up and allowed to continue. These child abuse cases are getting more publicity, which explains why they are warning you NOT to listen to the news media.

Satan is on the attack!

I'm sure your JW is a very nice person, and you have formed a wonderful friendship with them. I did the same. I was heartbroken to find out that this organization is run by a small group of controlling men in New York. If you do not obey them and agree with them 100%, you can not join. Once you join, you are not allowed to question any edict that comes down from the Watchtower.

I didn't mean to reply to your post, sounding like a raving lunatic. I really feel for you.

I would ask your friend the simple question about who is the faithful and discreet slave?

Ask them if they would really obey instructions that don't make sense from a human standpoint?

Does your relationship with God depend on the direction of the governing body?

Can you interpret the bible without the aid of the Watchtower publications? Why not?

By the way... you are not going to heaven, unless you are part of the 144,000 annointed Christians. Each year at Easter time, they have a "memorial," where they all REFUSE to drink from the cup or eat the bread. They pass around a tray and DENY that Christ's sacrifice was for them.

Click on my name and choose "posts started" and you can read some of my story... it is similar to yours.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

The reason you've never come up against the uniformity of thought imposed on JWs is you have avoided the WT. The Bible can be interpreted various ways and there is no end to what you can learn about it, but the journey into Jehovah's Witnessdom quickly becomes an exercise into conforming your views to what the Watchtower says the Bible says about things, not what the Bible says itself.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

On the way out = sorry you are wrong. The R&F can't form political opinions but it's quite ok for We to e.g taxation laws with the Jimmy Swagart affair. The deal they done to get recognition in Bulgaria etc.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Welcome impala63rag, you have had a lucky escape. Your thirst for knowledge of the Bible has saved you, as you can see for yourself the WT publications are using scriptures to suit themselves and deceive. I would be surprised if you see these so-called friends for much longer after having told them of your concerns. Why not go to the meeting and put up your hand and give your opinion as you have above? I guarantee you after the first time they take you they will look embarrassed and not ask you again, these people are supposed to answer strictly to the paragraph in question and not according to personal opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit