3 years of study, Just found out!

by impala63rag 137 Replies latest jw friends

• impala63rag
    impala63rag

Hello friends,

I would like some advice from those that are inpartial, and are familiar with the teachings of JW.

I studied with a wonderful JW couple weekly for 3 years. During this time, it was never mentioned that the church REQUIRED it's members to say, do and think a certain way. Maybe I am mis-understanding this, and hope that I am. I enjoyed our studys immensely. The reason I had never went to the KH is because I am cautious of religion but thirst for a greater relationship with God. Obviously I knew they didnt celebrate Christmas. That was something I wasn't on board with because how can celebrating Jesus in the spirit of family and giving be a bad thing?

I went to the KH this week and durring a conversation with a new member, she said she was glad she didnt have to worry about politics anymore. I responded with "what does being a member of a congregation have to do with politics"? She says, "JW dont discuss politics", to my reply, "you mean the church doesn't associate itself with political matters", She says, "no all JW do not have an opinion on politics", to my reply, "how can you say that all the members of a congregation dont have an opinion on something that important"?

After returning home, I was still baffled and did an internet search which led me to a website. (thejehovahswitnesses dot org) On that website it listed 141 things that JW cant do, etc. I was shocked to hear what the congregation expects of its members. At first I did not believe any of it, but had to ask. I called the person I have been studying with for so long to see if there was any truth to it. The first quest was disfellowshiping, to which he replyed that his sister had been DF and has not spoken with her in 10 years because of it. I responded with the Bible teaches us forgiveness, and he quoted a scripture that refers to one of the flock wandering.

I won't go on about all the other topics, but I have to say that I feel a bit betrayed that this is the first I am hearing of these things. I would like to continue studying, but I do not know if I can trust whats being discussed now. Any thoughts or advice that might help me in this situation?

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

Well I must first say this is mostly a web site of people who disagree with the watchtower, me included. Mid you choose to continue reading here is the explanation.

JWs will introduce you to their doctrine of paradise on earth, living forever, no hellfire, seeing dead loved ones very soon as a way to hook people in. They get you convinced of all these things prior to telling you about disfellowshiping and great detail of holidays and politics like you mentioned. The reason being is most people would not listen to them if they knew the not so happy things about being a JW. Once they convince you of the happy things many people will just accept the negative stuff in order to feel like they will survive and live in paradise.

There are many things you should research before you take JWs seriously. if you could imagine would you listen to JWs if they started off with you will die if you do not become a baptized Jehovahs witness and then turn around and knock on peoples doors telling them the same thing. Of course not. But in fact that is exactly what JWs believe. I could go into great detail on what binlical teachings I think the JWs have incorrect but all it takes is the search button and it's already been discussed.

• blondie
    blondie

You studied for 3 years and the subject of politics never came up? What publication were you studying? "What Does the Bible Teach"?

***What Does the Bible Teach (bh) chap. 15 p. 149 par. 12 Worship That God Approves ***

True worshipers are no part of the world. When on trial before the Roman ruler Pilate, Jesus said: “My kingdom is no part of this world.” (John 18:36) No matter what country they live in, Jesus’ true followers are subjects of his heavenly Kingdom and thus maintain strict neutrality in the world’s political affairs. They take no part in its conflicts. However, Jehovah’s worshipers do not interfere with what others choose to do about joining a political party, running for office, or voting. And while God’s true worshipers are neutral regarding politics, they are law-abiding.

• cofty
    cofty

Hi and welcome.

This forum is full of people who have been shunned for years by their parents, siblings and adult children because they took a decision to leave the Watchtower.

Total unquestioning obedience to the governing body is the first and most important rule. Almost anything else can be forgiven but doubting the GB is the ultimate sin.

Please keep reading and check out JWFacts.com and JWStruggle for lots more information. You may have had a narrow escape.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Most (if not all) of what you discovered is true.

JW's don't celebrate Christmas or any other holidays nor birthdays. You cannot advance as a member or even a regular attender of meetings if you do holidays and birthday.

They don't get involved in politics to the point where they don't even vote nor form opinions on political matters. YES, WATCHTOWER TELLS THEM WHAT TO THINK AND NOT TO THINK.

The disfellowshipping is very strict and very much in force. Adult children being shunned by their parents or siblings who will often never meet their own grandchildren because of the shunning. Or the other way around- children and grandchildren being told to not talk to certain relatives, even their grandparents.

You should be able to see that they strain the Bible to say what they say.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Thank you confirming something for me. I was born-in to the Witnesses. Family members joined during Pastor Russell's time. I always hated the Witnesses. They were against children (and marriage). My childhood was hell. I suppose I seek out other born=ins on this forum. Classmates who were disfellowshipped me bothered me. They were shocked that a religion could condemn having a child out of wedlock. Well, I condemn it and I am not even a religion. One day I exploded at someone here complaining about being chastised by elders. I learned the rules as a toddler. It seems that converts often do not know until it happens to them.

I could not visit the WT website b/c of my memories. When I finally did the other day, I was shocked. They mislead people at every turn. You would need to a trained lawyer to catch the qualifications. Basically, they are much worse than on their public site. There is WT doctrine and a culture. If one does not hurt youm the other will. I expect JWs are told not to reveal basic information. Wait until you are baptized and you wil soon find out.

If you want to convince yourself of WT doctrine, don't read a Bible in consecutive verses. Did you actually study the Bible or were you fed selective quotes? Perhaps stronger quotes addressed the issue but did not back the WT theology. Witnesses do not know their Bibles at all. I thought we did. One college course that required reading the New Testament as a primary source completely convinced me they know nothing about Jesus. I survived reading the text of the Bible. It is not difficult at all.

• impala63rag
    impala63rag

"You studied for 3 years and the subject of politics never came up? What publication were you studying? "What Does the Bible Teach"?"

We never studied from the WT or Awake. Stictly from the Bible. Which I love! We usually have a topic that comes to mind in conversation and go with it. As for the "What does the Bible really teach" we really haven't gotten far in it. About halfway.

• kaik
    kaik

Run away as far you can. I grew in JW and seen different stages and teologial, doctrinal changes over these years, that current JW organization is not the same the one I attended in the 70's and 80's. While it is nice and certainly honarable that JW maintain strict neutrality and does not interfere with political affairs of the world, it is also necessary to say, they abuse it for their own personal benefit. They ride on free social services, welfare nests, charity, food bank; and whine how this world belong to Satan. They obviously do not mind abusing the system and the benefits, while avoiding sharing any responsibility from other taxpayers. They are hypocrites. I know JW who never worked entire life, their hands are soft from lack of real work, they live in public housing, recieve benefits and welfare, and get free food delivery from a Catholic charity while spending their day by preaching and soul fishing.

JW will study with you only at the beginning to entice you to the organization. Once you became a member, all studies cases and you are obligated accept whatever teaching, doctrine, and thinking is spewn from the WT organization. No questions are allowed, no independent Bible studies, no examination of beliefs and articles. Publications became a precedence over reall relationship with God. Entire theology revolves around preaching and distributing literature, not to serve God and will not answer you with real life troubles.

Once you start to question any doctrines, you will be ostracized as a troublemaker. People who profess a free will and critical thinking are usually isolated from the pack. The KH is unforgiving and will remember your questioning for years and decades. People get disfellowshiped from self study of Bible, or question older publications. Forget about regular failing as any humans had. If you do not have excessive family ties in KH, you will be out. My cousins and his entire messed family from my evil aunt had so many issues with laws, taxes, etc, and never got DF and they are elders with all extensive family. Other cousin walked away and my aunt for the rest of her life never talked to him nor ever had dealt with his grandchildren. She called them pawn of Satan to weaken her faith.

At the end, you will need to make own decision, if you want to serve publishing house or not. You got free will.

• rebel8
    rebel8

You can find the answers to these questions in their own publications. Quotes can be found on this site and many others. When you find it in their own words, then it will hold more weight. If you just go by what we tell you, jws will tell you we are demonized, lying, etc. You can find some rather disturbing things in their own words!

During this time, it was never mentioned that the church REQUIRED it's members to say, do and think a certain way.

That's probably because you were not spiritually progressing. (Studying 3 yrs and never going to the KH is kinda unheard of. They're told not to waste >6 months on someone, to move on if the person doesn't join up by then.)

Cults, or high control groups, tend to not expose newbies to the more upsetting teachings until they're more fully adhering to the group. Scientology does this, for example, by setting the level you must achieve before you learn some of the doctrines.

But heck yes, that is definitely their teaching. More here.

"If we stop actively supporting Jehovah's work, then we start following Satan. There is no middle ground." Watchtower 2011 Jul 15 p.18
    "But Jehovah's servants already belong to the only organization that will survive the end of this wicked system of things." Watchtower 2007 Dec 15 p.14
    "But if we were to draw away from Jehovah's organization, there would be no place else to go for salvation and true joy." Watchtower 1993 Sep 15 p.22
    A destructive cult...claims to be breaking with tradition, offering something novel, and instituting the ONLY viable system for change that will solve life's problems or the world's ills. factnet.org
  • humbled
    humbled

You will not have a close relationship with God in this religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit