Jesus' Teachings - Helpful or Harmful?

by jgnat 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

I would agree with anyone who has said on this thread, sadly I have not read all 5 pages, that the world would be a better place if everyone applied what Jesus said a t Matt 7.12, do unto others...................

Sadly not all people do many can be selfish and cunning.

Sou to answer the OP question I would say this teaching is helpful. Kate xx

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Yes but how can a person who has never had children be petfect in love?

The more you love the more you have to loose...and if Jesus words divide and seperate family unity his words in my opinion are from perfect in love and perfect in truth.

• cofty
    cofty

I would agree with anyone who has said..the world would be a better place if everyone applied what Jesus said a t Matt 7.12, do unto others... Kate

The "golden rule" was not Jesus' idea..

• tec
    tec

We can go through every single one of those if you want Cofty.

As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.

Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them, and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him. Matt 4:18-22

Nothing wrong in the above.

Another disciple said to him, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.”

But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” Matt 8:21,22

Surprised you did not bring this one up earlier.

For one: The work Christ had to do was right now... it could not wait. He could not wait. He had work to do and He needed workers who would put the Kingdom and its interests and God (which also includes serving the subjects of the Kingdom, including their own families) first. The man would not be condemned if He did not follow when called; but he would be unfit to serve as was needed. If he could not put the Kingdom first... then he could not serve as was needed. A king does not surround himself with men, placing those men in charge of the kingdom and the subjects of the kingdom... who can not put the interests of that kingdom first.

It is not a condemnation. It is simply a requirement.

For two: unless a man learns how to receive life... he cannot direct others to also receive life. So the man could remain with those who did not have life in them... who were dead... or he could learn and receive life, so as to be able to direct others to receive life as well. Nor could this man give life to his loved ones... unless he, himself, received life... thereby ensuring that the kingdom was for him... and his children.

But again, it is not a condemnation of the man. He simply could not serve in the capacity that was required if he could not put the Kingdom and Life first.

Christ spoke nothing more than the truth to him and others... which as stated in the beginning of this thread... can be hard to hear, and not all can hear OR accept it.

But Christ did not force anyone to do anything. He simply stated the truth of what was needed TO follow Him and TO serve the Kingdom. Dont like the requirements or the payment ... then don't take the job. Your choice. As always.

As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him. Matt 9:9

Nothing wrong with this.

Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn “‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law— a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’

Simple truth.

You can see this at work in the wts... who 'kill' anyone who would listen to Christ and truth over Him.

A man's enemies...

The man being one who belongs to Christ.

His enemies being those who have made themselves HIS enemy... throwing HIM out of the synogagues, throwing HIM out of his house, stoning HIM, hating HIM, handing HIM over to be killed.

All the things the wts teaches its members to do. Christ did not teach HIS members to do this though... they were to love their enemies (those who set themselves up as their enemies), forgive anyone who sinned against them, do good to those who persecute them.

“Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it. Matt 10:34-39

More truth.

Man obeys and or follows the one he loves. Love Christ... you will obey and follow Him. As he stated: "If you love me you will follow my commands. My father will love you and we will come and make our home with you." Love someone else more than Him and more than God... you may (and often DO) obey and follow them. Just as man does with the wts. They love the wts (and perhaps they love those in the wts) more than Christ... and so they may remain IN the lie for those loved ones. To help get them out, sure, and I am not judging that in the least. But how can someone who remains in a lie and does not even call it as a lie out also at the same time serve the interests of the Truth and the Kingdom?

For your last point, see again, my post on the last page that addresses it.

Peace to you,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

I heard identical obfuscation in the Watchtower Tammy

Early chritianity was a personality cult based on the prognostications of a false prophet.

• humbled
    humbled

Cofty, have you ever read any of the gnostic gospels? Why do you prefer to quote only the gospel versions of the women-haters and the power-hungry? the ones that created a powerful institution of control.

the poor need/needed Jesus to help them escape this kind of misery.

Pliny the Younger caught a couple of slave women in 112 A.D. had them tortured to get information about the religious meetings they were going to in the mornings. they were Christians. All he could find was that they were encouraging one another not to lie, steal or commit adultery. and they ate a simple meal together(not "holy communion" it is otherwise noted) My guess is that they, like myself listened to the stories which were NOT YET CODIFIED into the troublesome doctines that would later crush women--and other disenfranchized people.

• tec
    tec

Also a red herring, Cofty. Means nothing at all.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Cofty, have you ever read any of the gnostic gospels? - Humbled

No. The esoteric writings of gnostics don't interest me. We get enough of that here from Tammy.

• KateWild
    KateWild

The "golden rule" was not Jesus' idea..-cofty

It's interesting what wiki says about Matt 7.12, I know about Rabbi Hillel also, but this does not negate the fact that even though others taught it, it was one of Jesus' most famous teachings, and the stories about Jesus show this character practiced what the character taught. The bible may have exaggerated his warm qualities but they are helpful none the less.

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

Really - How is breaking up families compatible with "do unto others?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit