Jesus' Teachings - Helpful or Harmful?

by jgnat 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• humbled
    humbled

"Have Jesus' teachings have been less than universally helpful to mankind" would be a great discussion for me in a pub--with enough grog I might pretend that I knew the answer to that.

The second part "How do we I measure whether a particular philosophy is helpful or harmful?"with a list of universal morals-- I can tackle with a single beer .But can I go at this from a personal perspective and change the question slightly--and apply the measure to Jesus' teachings only?

Jesus helped me because:

He made it clear that I could understand him without some better educated person telling me what he was saying. Matt.23:8-10 That was the best thing. Because I was told in every Christian church that I couldn't.

He taught me that "good" women didn't need to stay barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen. In fact he talked to them as equals of men.

He showed me that I could be cut off from the "regular church" and not be "wrong".

He gave me the tools to find and hold a clean conscience.

He taught me that I could fail and still come back.

He taught me how to love and how to forgive others. and my husband.and myself

He showed me that he trusted people that he healed or helped would build their own relationship with god--he didn't harague them with anything more than--"go and sin no more"

He showed me that revenge was always wrong.

He taught that loving other people was like loving the good/god/father.

He helped all kinds of people--including a soldier of the occupying army, and tax collectors, lepers, and other outcasts. and taught us that anyone who needed help--these were our neighbors.

He taught me that there are fates worse than death--like not living an authentic life.

He taught me that I might be kicked out of church for trying to follow him and that was okay.

He warned that there would be false prophets and told me how to sort it out.

And in the event I was called to produce evidence of my faith in him, it would be that I loved as he had loved.

Not doctrine. He said "do what I teach". that was the rock foundation.

Nothing he taught harmed me. I have wondered if he struggled in his religion like I did in mine. Was he a little crazy? maybe he was.

Was he original? I don't care.He was the holy man that was locally available when I needed one.

But he stuck to his principles to the bitter end. None of the heaven/hell stuff that folks wrangle about--and don't agree on--bothers me. He was plain in his teaching that had to do with earth. I figure that's all I have to account for.

What happens when I die is really beyond my control.

EDIT:I really don't worry that Jesus is going to rake me over the coals for not taking stuff in the epistles,Acts and Revelation to heart. It is hard enough to figure out what to believe in the gospels.

Thank you, Jesus!

Your friend, Maeve

P.S. It took 2 s.

• Laika
    Laika

I don't think some of these things are easy to measure:

And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”

In the first century middle east this represented a big improvement on the injustice of abandoning women to poverty whenever you got bored of them. In the 21st century West, it's a control tool for abusive husbands and fathers.

• Fernando
    Fernando

I'm wondering if the framework and intent of the user is what really determines how Jesus' teachings are used and the outcome (good vs evil).

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Ironically maybe Jesus greatest teaching was not to write anything. Words are such an imperfect way to communicate at best.....i think a real follower of Christ doesnt rationize on words but actions, thats why i like the parable of " The good samaritan"

• cofty
    cofty

I'm surprised that anybody thinks they would not have known how to love or share or forgive without Jesus.

He instructed his disciples to walk away from their families to follow him around Palestine spreading a false prophecy.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning, jgnat:

I believe this bears on your question. Looking into the indigenous "religions" of many millenia ago, I have learned that wise and loving matriarchies were the norm until patriarchies invaded and wiped out the former. Dominator religions that allow no variety or self determination amongst their followers seem to present a mixed message, as already noted in this thread. Personally, I am in doubt about the Gospels -- who was Jesus and what did he really say?

I have just received Not In His Image, by John Lamb Lash.

Lash states that the four Gospels (NT) belong to a literary genre known as Hellenistic romance, a sort of novella consisting of miracles, supernatural signs, stock characters, etc. During the first century of the Christian era many of these novellas, which mixed fable and folklore with some realistic elements, were circulating.

They were the pulp fiction of their time . . .

NIHI, p.107

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/269178/1/The-Four-Gospels-Hellenistic-Romances#.Us6eJN0gqmA

Thanks for reading.

CC

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Compound Complex...you love words...you use words. I would say your words are helpful.

Why?

In my opinion you always try to be diplomatic and non confrontational..maybe thats the difference between your words and Jesus words?

Now could i say the same about Jesus words?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning, new hope and happiness:

Thank you for the kind words. Wishing you and yours blessings and peace.

CoCo

• humbled
    humbled

Cofty, I was raised with a fair amount of the conventional teachings of love, sharing and forgiveness. But as I lived my life I found myself no different from the pharisees who found ways to justify, rationalize selfishness behavior.

I valued love, sharing and forgiveness--don't get me wrong--but I was a leaky craft in these areas. Eventually I found myself sinking. Jesus' gave living examples of love, sharing and forgiveness that were far greater than I knew.

As for telling people to leave family to preach the good news? He had some who followed him literally as he went about (No time spent at work? At all?) But I noted a fair number of folks he helped just resumed their old lives: the Roman went back to soldiering, Legion was let stay in the god-for-sakenland of pig farmers to tell how well he was treated, the Samaritan woman went back to keeping house instead of "playing house", women healed went home, Zacchaeus went back to tax-collecting(honestly), the woman taken in adultery is turned free of sin to live wherever, lepers, demon-possessed children and parents went back home. Even we see this scenario continue in the book of Acts. Phillip raising his daughters, tentmakers Priscilla and Aquilla, Lydia the clothes-dyer, the Ethiopian eunach. What reason have I to conclude that they quit their jobs or occupations? None.

A man that convinced me that I didn't nearly understand LOVE lived as a British subject in the American colonies. John Woolman. Reading his journals showed me that Jesus' teaching--not Christian/church teaching-- redefines love, sharing and forgiveness that changed him and his society. He contemplated the implications and responsibility of Jesus' love, shared that with his fellow quakers in a modest yet thorough way-- when he wasn't being a tailor, tending his apple orchard or clerking in a country store--The Quakers subsequently understood that slaveholding(yes, they were slaveholder along with other pious americans) was contrary to divine love (as he called it). Divine love took him walking among native americans who respected him even as they despised other Europeans who only saw them as inferiors.

My life has been filled with extreme difficulties at times--some of my own making. Many times there was violence, guns, drugs and also less dramatic yet more personal and painful--and not enough money to grease things along. I was not equipped to deal with these things before I took the teachings of Jesus to heart. Others say there are other good teachings and teachers--fine--but Jesus has been good for me.

"I came not to call righteous persons but sinners to repentence."

• cofty
    cofty

It's easy to read the Jesus story through rose-coloured glasses and see only good, but it does not do honour to the man as a real flawed human being - deeply flawed IMO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit