How Cold is it Where You Are?

by PYRAMIDSCHEME 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I think it was winter 1995 and it did touch -20C at Glasgow Airport - I was there that day and it was cold enough to make your ears painful if not covered by your hat :-)

but ye - Calgary - different league...

Although, the UK is much damper and it does actually feel colder at 0 than it often does here at -10 or -15. Heck, I've been out on a still sunny -15 day in a TShirt and it feels fine because it's dry.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The current temperature in NYC is 7 F. It has been a few years since it was this cold. Yesterday the high was 56 F. So this is quite a change.

• KWJoe
    KWJoe

58....cold for Key West

• Simon
    Simon

58....cold for Key West

We all hate you now.

• poppers
    poppers

-25 this morning in my part of Wisconsin. Yesterday was -28 when I checked at 8 AM, so it was probably colder. Schools here were closed both days. In 1977 we got to -60, that's air temperature not wind chill.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Just hit 32 degrees (freezing) here in Houston last night.

My car died and I called for service to Allstate Motor Club. Waited an hour (30+30 min as the first wait resulting in my phone battery dying and I had to go to a McDonalds and plug it in. Then waited another hour for the towtruck. I asked the guy in India why they are making people wait so long on hold and he made a big deal about how the phone volume went up because of harsh weather conditions in Chicago. I pointed out that as it is January, and harsh weather conditions in N. America in January aren't any kind of surprise, that they should be prepared for such things-all the more so because freezing weather is dangerous. I was just in the suburbs, but not everyone has access to a convenient mcdonalds that is open for travellers. He just annoyed me with the excuse. Every company should plan for seasons! Especially one like emergency motor services! I'm still annoyed by that. My husband was hours away and made it to me about 5 minutes after the tow guy.

I hope you are all safe and warm. I was blessed that the battery was just overtaxed by the cold (I still think we need a new battery!) I am also fortunate to be safe and have access to friends nearby had I needed them. Ihope that all of you have good friends nearby so that you can be mutually supportive in difficulty. Our friends drove my husband to get me, go to where the car was taken and then followed us home to make sure we arrived safe. ANOTHER thing-do you know tow guys can't jump a car? I thought it probably needed a jump, but since the lights were still working, I worried it was something else and so they sent a tow car-otherwise, if the jump didn't work, I would have had to call them again and go through the hours of waiting to get the tow. McDonalds isnt open 24/7! I needed to get it resolved so I had them tow it to our old faithful mechanic. Kind of a shame to waste those resources when the stuff to jump it would have been easy. (I was shy to ask anyone for a jump, that was my bad,but it was dark and Idon't like asking strangers for help in the dark. My nearest friend had just gotten her kids back after her ex stole them for a few weeks and I really didn't want to disturb the family reunion).

Ok, TMI. Its really chilly here.:) But realy beautiful and clear, so YAY!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

-16C here (3.2 F), almost balmy. We had some really cold weather last week but I think it blew south.

• KWJoe
    KWJoe

Hey Simon....we should swap....I would love to see some snow.

• besty
    besty

Heck, I've been out on a still sunny -15 day in a TShirt and it feels fine because it's dry.

Simon MacGreen

• piztjw
    piztjw

It's so cold where I live the Kee-kee birds are out.

Kee-kee-christ it cold! Actually it is so cold that you have to carry a propane torch with you to thaw your words out as you speak or others won't hear you until spring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit