The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

JGnat:

Consider the destruction at Sodom and Gomorrah. Abraham was advised ahead of time, and an "escape plan" was arranged for the few righteous.

There's a fundamental difference. In that case, it was an act of God. He was in control of the events, and he could forewarn Abraham, Lot, etc. The Tsunami was not act of God. It was simply a natural calamity.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty:

But the god of theism made the world complete with earthquakes - it was his doing.

God has given you a world that is essencially what you see and accept peacefully as being a product of random nature. What are you complaining about?

Eden

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

He has stepped aside, either permanently or temporarily [I don't know which] from interveining personally in human affairs. To know or not know beforehand about it is therefore irrelevant.

Would you also accept that God can therefore also not do anything that might be construed as a blessing?

• cofty
    cofty

Your god is so feeble Eden.

I hope you are never so hypocritical as to thank god for your food.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Unforseen events in the lingo of the insurance world is an "Act of God". Do you believe, EdenOne, that God had foreknowledge of the tsunami?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I thank him for the spirit that guides me to wisdom, which in turn allows me to run my business in a way that I can provide for my family.

(I can see you revolving in your chair now)

Lighten up, Cofty.

Eden

• bohm
    bohm

Like iron chariots, a tsunami warning system is just one of those human technologies god does not feel comfortable with...

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Jgnat,

I think the terminology "Act of God" applied to an event like the Tsunamy is loaded language.

I believe that if God knew beforehand about the tsunami or not is irrelevant. He wouldn't have acted to stop it. Because it's not His business to stop catastrophic natural events.

Eden

• jgnat
    jgnat

So you are not sure if God knew beforehand, but you are sure that God would not have interfered anyhow.

• jgnat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit