The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Adam,

Every theodicy that a believer may come up with will be always met with contempt by an atheist, for he has no intellectual respect for the theist. I find it usually a waste of time to debate with those who don't respect my intelligence but demand that I am in awe of theirs in turn. That's utterly unstimulating and boring. Since faith isn't an item for the atheist, any argument that depends on faith will ultimately fail to convince the atheist. And that's ok. We don't have to agree in order that we may live peacefully with each other. Yet, my hope is better than your void.

you're really no different from the Pope, the GB, priests, etc, who get financial rewards and ego-gratification from prancing about and acting like they're God's prophets on Earth. It's the oldest game in the (Holy) Book, but you just happen to be really bad at it.

Likewise, you're not great at being a nice person. Just wondering if you realize that fact.

Eden

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNjEbPfc2d0

Just a heads up for the believers.... Might save a lot of time for everyone.

• cofty
    cofty

EdenOne - Preaching and threats of eternal loss is the last resort of the believer who is all out of rational arguments.

Are you seriously proposing that god cocked-up and didn't know about the tsunami until it was too late? Seriously?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Void!? False hope isnt better than no hope Eden....

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I didn't say that Cofty, but if you're happy to put words in my mouth, I won't offend you by asking you to re-read what I wrote again.

Eden

• adamah
    adamah

Eden One said-

If you refuse to accept God's hope and you find no comfort in it, and choose to evangelize the believers about the absolute void that you believe that evidence supports, it's all good and dandy. Don't expect to partake in that hope, though. Don't mock the hope that others have, for it's better to find comfort in hope than to live without it.

That's simply another teleological (ends-based) ethical argument, making the questionable-assertion that belief in God is valuable since it gives believers hope (questionable since it also causes anxiety, and in this case, deprives them of ancient wisdom that might've saved their lives of only missionaries hadn't told them the Hebrew God would be unhappy if they didn't abandon the teachings of their ancestors).

BTW, you REALLY need to take a basic logic course at your local community college, if you don't know what a teleological argument is.

Soooo, where does REALITY fit into your decision tree, Eden One? Does it even register to you as a somewhat important factor to ask whether God exists or not, in the first place?

Adam

• cofty
    cofty

Every theodicy that a believer may come up with will be always met with contempt by an atheist - EdenOne

Please stop judging motives and engage your mind.

Here is the summary of arguments so far...

If you have one to add or can reply to any of the rational responses please do so.

I will be adding two more shortly.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

WMF

Is there a "hope" that an atheist advocate? If there isn't one, I call that a void.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

Are you seriously proposing that god cocked-up and didn't know about the tsunami until it was too late? - Cofty

I didn't say that - Eden

Doesn't mean he is informed at all times of everything taking place in every corner of the physical universe. After all, he also has a spiritual realm to deal with. - Eden

Yes you did.

• Witness My Fury

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit