The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Correct, Jgnat.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

EdenOne - You still have not given a direct answer to why god would not stop the tsunami.

You just keep making sermons about how its not his business.

Stop prevaricating.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I did give you a straight answer. My post #928.

d) It's not God's business to exempt human beings from suffering that has always existed in nature. It is God's business to help people to cope with said suffering and to find comfort in a hope for salvation into a better life outside the physical realm.

Sorry it doesn't fit in the usual theodicies you expected to encounter from your regular apologists. This works for me.

And, btw, you haven't provided anything remotely close to a satisfactory retort, apart your head-scratching.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

It's not God's business to exempt human beings from suffering that has always existed in nature. It is God's business to help people to cope with said suffering and to find comfort in a hope for salvation into a better life outside the physical realm. - EdenOne

You ignored my reply to this. Why?

But the god of theism made the world complete with earthquakes - it was his doing. Nature isn't a person. God booby-trapped the planet and then declined to do anything about it when a quarter of a million lives were at stake. Is he wicked, too busy, neglectful, powerless or what?

Your god is literally good for nothing. Its as if he has put up a sign in heaven that says "Gone Fishing".

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Because you ignored my point as a valid reply to your challenge.

Eden

• jgnat
    jgnat

How is a God who refuses to intervene any different from an uncaring God?

• cofty
    cofty

Its a good point jgnat.

Imagine two gods.

One is the god of EdenOne who is not in the business of preventing natural disasters. He remains aloof as the bodies pile up.

The other finds natural disasters thoroughly entertaining. He laughs uproariously at the sight of drowned and broken corpses.

Which is more moral?

Are either of them worthy of our adoration?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

He's not uncaring. He's respectful of our choices and he knows he wouldn't be respecting them if he would intervein. In any case, He knows that suffering can be mitigated because of the hope of salvation. it doesn't stop suffering now; but suffering will end eventually.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

He's respectful of our choices and he knows he wouldn't be respecting them if he would intervein - EdenOne

So the quarter of a million men, women and infants who perished in the tsunami chose to die did they?

God was respecting their choice to be drowned by an earthquake of god's making.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

You surely can't be that obtuse, Cofty. You're way more intelligent than that when you're defending your causes.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit