The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

You must be surrounded by weak-minded people, flamegrilled.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

If we saw a person allow dogs to be drowned by the thousands, and he was able to prevent it at no significant cost or effort, would we be justified in concluding there was a problem in claiming he loved every single dog? (bohm)

Again your scenario implies an unsubstantiated premise. i.e. that there would be no significant cost to preventing it. We are simply not in a position to know that.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

You must be surrounded by weak-minded people, flamegrilled.

jgnat - I know what you mean. But I'll log off soon and do some work.

• bohm
    bohm

Bob> So you are not allowed a blood transfusion? Even if it means death?

John> yes that is correct.

Bob> Why?

John> We have very good reasons to do so: Consider a doctor told you to abstain from alcohol. Would it be acceptable that you infused alcohol directly into your veins instead of drinking it? Certainly not!

Bob> so what is your argument?

John> Consider a doctor told you..

Bob> Sorry thats not an argument. Thats a weak analogy. Why..

John> Consider a doctor..

Bob> But there are 3 distinct things wrong with that analogy that cause it to break down when used on actual blood transfusions!

John> You just call all my analogies weak. Consider a doctor told you to abstain from ...

Bob> What the fuck-

John> I WIN!

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

You have argued for 80 pages that drowning a quarter of a million people is a loving act if seen from some other perspective. Cofty

Actually I came into this after page 50.

Let's recall that I have not at any point argued for the existance of God, let alone made the argument you claim. My sole point is that the OP is logically flawed.

• bohm
    bohm

flamegrilled: Again your scenario implies an unsubstantiated premise. i.e. that there would be no significant cost to preventing it.

Okay so you would say a very rich, powerfull person who was in full control of a group of 1000 dogs and allowed them all to be drowned could still love every single dog because *there might* be some unknown cost associated with him preventing them from drowning?

Can you point to what this may be exactly in the case of God?

• jgnat
    jgnat

You have no idea what I mean.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

bohm -

Your point is that weak analogies exist??

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

because *there might* be some unknown cost associated with him preventing them from drowning?

Can you point to what this may be exactly in the case of God?

What part of "unknown" is unclear to you?

• bohm
    bohm

flamegrilled: My point is weak analogies exist and you can usually spot one when all a person have to argue with is the appeal to a single analogy.

Okay, so you are saying there is no problem of evil because we can speculate there *might* be an *unknown* reason for gods inaction?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit