The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

PB yes all have a right to an opinion.

The topic is about god's inaction when a tsunami killed 250,000 people and destroyed the lives of countless others. For a person to say "just trust god" needs to be asked by nonbelievers how do you come to that conclusion and what kind of god acts this way?

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Cofty,

I admitted it was very hard to understand and I truly do not believe ends always justify the means. You say your argument is with theism not simply Christianity. Well I'm not a theist so perhaps that's why we keep passing one another by.

DS211, most Christians especially in the west do not suffer all that much for their faith. Also atheists, deists, muslims and a whole bunch of the other people suffer all the ills of this life right along with Christians. The people who suffer the most are those who try to do some good in this world and they are found in every religion and among atheists as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying being a Christian is not important, I believe it is important. The Workers in the Vineyard illustration keeps coming to mind where the early workers got the same pay as those who came on the field late. I believe many will come onboard in the end. I do believe in heaven and an earthly resurrection.

• DS211
    DS211

Pelican you didnt answer my question...perhaps i said it wrong..

Let me rephrase it...

any trials, difficulties, sufferings, etc faced as a christian--are they not justified or at leadt does the Christian not gain a sense of relief by the prospect or hope in a promise of everlasting life without the suffering of the flesh?

and contrary to what you have said all Christians suffer at some point in their life...in which case they would look to the promised hope of salvation and God (who provides it) for comfort.

Cofty i apologize if i strayed off topic.

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Viviane,

Pelican, is anyone on this thread trying to restrict your freedom of belief?

No, of course not.

I am participating on a forum which allows all to add their thoughts and views as long as they follow the posting guidelines.

Atheists and Christians here regularly trade jabs with one another, like Neo and Morpheus. This place can feel just as surreal.

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

DS211,

Let me rephrase it...

any trials, difficulties, sufferings, etc faced as a christian--are they not justified or at leadt does the Christian not gain a sense of relief by the prospect or hope in a promise of everlasting life without the suffering of the flesh?

I believe many people will have eternal life not just Christians. The sheep and the goats illustration in Matthew supports this view, imo.

and contrary to what you have said all Christians suffer at some point in their life...in which case they would look to the promised hope of salvation and God (who provides it) for comfort.

I believe all good people suffer in their lives, Christians included among them.

If I have not answered your question sufficiently please rephrase it again if you don' mind.

Pelican

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Still waiting for a response

PB yes all have a right to an opinion (belief).

The topic is about god's inaction when a tsunami killed 250,000 people and destroyed the lives of countless others. For a person to say "just trust god" needs to be asked by nonbelievers how do you come to that conclusion and what kind of god acts this way?

• cofty
    cofty

Well I'm not a theist - Pelican

Contrast and compare from the same post...

I'm NOT saying being a Christian is not important, I believe it is important. ... I do believe in heaven and an earthly resurrection.

Pelican this is a contradiction.

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Cofty,

You're right. In my mind I separate theism from Christianity in that I believe not just in a God but in Christ and the Bible as well. But you're right it was a contradiction.

Pelican

• cofty
    cofty

Theism - "belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe."

Or doesn't bother to intervene, if doing so would save 250 000 lives who are not mostly western, evangelical protestants.

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Doofdaddy,

I trust the Bible's account describing Jesus and his teachings. (One thing missing from many discussions, I'm not saying this one in particular, but from the forum in general, is the simple and truthful teachings of Christ. Perhaps one day a thread can be started on that. But now I'm going off topic.)

If you believe my trust in Jesus and his teachings or the reports of his teachings is misplaced, I understand why you would. But, I do trust Jesus and the reports about him though to many it may appear a foolish thing to do. It's who I am, it is what it is, and I truly wish I had a more concrete answer for you but I do not.

Pelican

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit