The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Cofty,

You can add the comment below to your summary of Christian "stupidity", you left yourself open for it. This thread has been a game of chess with Christians playing the pawn role. I don't mind, it's fair. We deserve it.

You wrote, "How would you judge a scientist who imposed the most horrific suffering on millions of people, as unwilling subjects of his experiment, but who gave all of them one of the magic pills when it was over?"

The best people to ask would be the Japanese people who survived the atomic bombs dropped on them. Would they have wanted a pill to help them forget the pain and suffering? Don't know but I guess many would have. Sorry, you left yourself open for that one.

• cofty
    cofty

Would they have wanted a pill to help them forget the pain and suffering?

Yes. So what's your point?

My complaint is not that you claim your god will try to make it all better, its that you think the promise of paradise justifies his monstrous behaviour.

According to you there is no attrocity that isn't justified by the opium of heaven.

Humans are not pawns to be used and abused by god. It is dehumanising and makes god into an abusive parent.

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

My complaint is not that you claim your god will try to make it all better, its that you think the promise of paradise justifies his monstrous behaviour.

I never said "the promise of paradise justifies" anything.

According to you there is no attrocity that isn't justified by the opium of heaven.

Again, I never said that.

Humans are not pawns to be used and abused by god.

I agree.

It is dehumanising and makes god into an abusive parent.

I agree.

Christianity does not have a good record. Christianity as a whole has failed to live up to its claim to follow the Christ. As a group atheists have a better claim to integrity than Christianity does due to the fact that Christianity having falsely insisted she is the pinacle of good has lied and manipulated her way to power over others for almost 2000 years.

Pelican

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Another as noted above

We need to trust all of god's decisions as we trust the decisions Jesus made in the first century.

• cofty
    cofty

I never said "the promise of paradise justifies" anything. - Pelican

"Choosing to allow a terrible circumstance in order to bring about a better world is very hard to understand but in the end we will know and understand." - Pelican

It's the "end justifies the means" argument. Number 15.

My argument is with theism not simply with christianity.

• DS211
    DS211

Pelican--isnt that part of being a christian? That we suffer now but theres a better life ahead? Whether you believe u go to heaven or paradise on earth or whatever....most who say they are christians do feel that their suffering and that of other christians is justified or at least will be made up by the promise of eternal life later...

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Doofdaddy,

I think Christians, like all other people, should be allowed their choice of belief and conscience as long as they do not force others to believe as they do, don't you?

• cofty
    cofty

doofdaddy - Do you think the "just trust god" answer qualifies to be number 16? I think it might.

A succint reponse anybody....?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I think it needs to be separated as it has no reasonable arguement to support it.

God knows best kind of halts the debate.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Pelican, is anyone on this thread trying to restrict your freedom of belief? As far as I can tell, this thread is simply about looking for rational, logical and reasonable answers to why God allows natural evil. I struggle to understand how seeking to determine the validity of a belief is in any way suggesting you or anyone else should or will not be allowed to maintain that belief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit