The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Read your own words again Pelican.

The first paragraph does not deal with why it is god does not stop natural disasters. It simply affirms that he doesn't. That isn't even an attempt at an answer.

The second paragraph asserts that humans cause "more needless deaths". So we are agreed that god and humans cause needless deaths.

You then criticise humans who complain because god "allows the winds and the earth to have its way with us" and conclude with the crybaby emoticon.

My objection to your apparent callousness was in context.

• cofty
    cofty

Laika thank you for your honesty.

• adamah
    adamah

I doubt we have ever had a thread on natural evil that wasn't hijacked by believers who would rather distract everybody with a question more to their preference.

Atheists hijack religious discussions all the time.

AND another variation on the same theme:

Humans do bad things too

Whoops, there it is (for what: only the fourth time?)

Let's all learn what that fallacy is called (YES, it HAS an official name), and then EVERYONE can agree not to rely on it anymore, as if it's logical Kryptonite: it's not.

It's the classic "tu quoque" ("you did it, too, so that makes it right") fallacy, a retort accusing an accuser of having committed a similar offense, which is a favorite tactic and use of childish logic seen on schoolyards around the Globe.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

Tu quoque / t ˈ k w k w / , [1] (Latin for "you, too" or "you, also") or the appeal to hypocrisy, is a logical fallacy that attempts to discredit the opponent's position by asserting the opponent's failure to act consistently in accordance with that position; it attempts to show that a criticism or objection applies equally to the person making it. This dismisses someone's point of view based on criticism of the person's inconsistency and not the position presented [2] whereas a person's inconsistency should not discredit the position. Thus, it is a form of the ad hominem argument. [3] To clarify, although the person being attacked might indeed be acting inconsistently or hypocritically, this does not invalidate their argument.

Adam

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Cofty,

When believers and non-believers or atheists, however you chose to be characterized, get into these discussions there are blind spots on both sides. Human, very human, when opposing sides set in their beliefs or views come together.

You wrote, "The first paragraph does not deal with why it is god does not stop natural disasters. It simply affirms that he doesn't."

Of Jesus I wrote, "His message and life’s work was not about preventing these natural events taking place in his day." Jesus did not come to stop natural disasters he came to fulfill the law, to preach the Kingdom, to gather to himself his disciples, to declare his Father's word, to reveal the hypocrisy of the Jewish leaders, to do a host of things but not to prevent natural disasters. His message and life's work was NOT about preventing these natural disasters. Yes, I did say why. You just did not see it. As I also have a problem seeing your points all the time. We pass by one another and I don't think that will change.

But I believe we can at least respect each other's choices and conscience. I will try to work harder at understanding your point of view but I ask that you refrain from throwing condescending remarks my way as well. I'm a little hot headed at times but I do try to be fair.

Pelican

• adamah
    adamah

PB said-

You wrote, "The first paragraph does not deal with why it is god does not stop natural disasters. It simply affirms that he doesn't."

Of Jesus I wrote, "His message and life’s work was not about preventing these natural events taking place in his day." Jesus did not come to stop natural disasters he came to fulfill the law, to preach the Kingdom, to gather to himself his disciples, to declare his Father's word, to reveal the hypocrisy of the Jewish leaders, to do a host of things but not to prevent natural disasters. His message and life's work was NOT about preventing these natural disasters. Yes, I did say why. You just did not see it.

PB, did you move that goalpost intentionally?

Cofty's question was about why GOD didn't intervene in the tsunami in 2004, not asking why Jesus didn't prevent natural disasters in 30 CE (although, since you likely believe Jesus was in Heaven in 2004, Jesus apparently stood on the sidelines and watched, as well. And that makes no sense, since supposedly healing a leper on the Sabbath demonstrates the glory of His Father, when direct Divine intervention saving 250k lives clearly wouldn't accomplish that kind of thing more effectively, no sirree Bob! Instead, that type of direct intervention would merely rob believers of an opportunity to build their faith in a God who apparently doesn't feel compelled to even demonstrate his existence!).

Adam

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Adam,

I originally wrote,

"I’m certain that in Jesus’ day there were many natural disasters occurring in many parts of the earth. Hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, erupting volcanoes went on as usual. His message and life’s work was not about preventing these natural events taking place in his day.

"It is the same with God....."

So yes, I do believe God is not today preventing natural disasters because that is not what he is doing now. I don't claim to know all the answers but it seems to me that there is a purpose to all this. I can only go by what Jesus said and did. His life was spent doing a work that he felt was important, a work his Father sent him to do. That work did not YET mean that natural disasters would stop. In the future I believe God will cause the earth to settle down just as Jesus calmed the waters in the storm. But now I'm getting too much into belief and the Bible subjects that cause more distress than their worth here.

I appreciated your post.

Pelican

Edited to add: Adam I replied to your post as it was first written before it was edited.

• adamah
    adamah

PB said-

In the future I believe God will cause the earth to settle down just as Jesus calmed the waters in the storm....

Waves which resulted from weather patterns supposedly created by God, I might add....

See, that's the thing some believers haven't yet figured out: however you cut it, a God that claims to have created EVERYTHING in the Universe is going to have to take not only the credit and glory for the good stuff, but also accept responsibility and the blame for the bad stuff that happens, too.

The juvenile Xian apolegetic attempt of ascribing the good stuff to God and the bad stuff to Satan only temporarily kicks the can down the road, until the person figures out to ask about who made Satan with the capacity to be evil (and the Universal Sovereignty Challenge issue is as goofy and weak-sauce as any other apologetic raised in this thread, so far).

In the military there's an old saying, "the fish stinks from the head down" (or, if you're more into the potty vernacular, "crap flows downhill"). The same principle applies to Gods, whether it's Zeus, Ahuru Mazda, or Jehovah.

Adam

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Adam,

"...however you cut it, a God that claims to have created EVERYTHING in the Universe is going to have to take not only the credit and glory for the good, but also the blame for the bad."

I agree.

• cofty
    cofty

I thought a summary might be helpful.

The question is simple. It isn't an attempt to use suffering to prove there is no god. It isn't even about suffering in general.

It is about suffering that is not caused by humans and how theism accounts for it.

Specifically the Asian Tsunami of Boxing Day 2004 which claimed the lives of a quarter of a million people.

Pastor John offered 6 possible answers to the question of why a loving, powerful god did nothing to stop it. At least another 9 answers have been suggested in this thread so far.

Here is a summary with responses. If I have missed any please speak up.

1. God does good things, Satan does bad things.

Response - So Satan caused the tsunami and god did nothing. That makes god look weak as well as wicked.

2. Calamities can be prevented by intersessionary prayer

Response - So god would have saved 250 000 lives if only a christian had remembered to pray?

3. There are lots of stories of christians who were saved from death in the tsunami. (this is a way of saying those who died basically had themselves to blame = prosperity teaching)

Response - I'm sure there are lots of stories of atheists and Muslims who were saved from death in the tsunami. There were also many thousands of christians who died. If god picked a few favourites that only makes him look even more nasty and capricious.

4. Humans cause suffering.

Response - The tsunami was caused by an earthquake under the Indian Ocean. There was absolutely nothing any human could do to cause it or prevent it.

5. Free will. Here he manged to link it to 9/11?

Response - I am deliberately not talking about human actions. I am only interested in "natural evil". If god had prevented the tsunami no free will would have been involved.

6. All creation including the planet was harmed by the "fall".

Response - I t was casued by the movement of tectonic plates. Earthquakes are an intrinsic part of how the earth was made. They have been happening for billions of years. It would have been trivially easy for him to quell the beginning of the tsunami wave long before anybody even knew it had happened. He chose to do nothing except watch the wave wipe out a quarter of a million lives.

7. Yes its a pity that 250 000 lives were wiped out needlessly but humans do bad things too.

Response - Measuring the morality of god against that of a human tyrant is setting the bar rather low for god.

8. It wasn't god's time to act

Response - Is there a better time for a loving god to act than before the tsunami kills a quarter of a million innocent people?

9. God was seen in the actions of christians who worked to relieve the suffering of survivors

Response - Human efforts to clear up god's mess does not excuse his passivity

10. God caused the tsuanmi because he is judging people for sin.

Response - The problem for theism is that god cannot be powerful, knowing and loving if he passively observes the violent death of a quarter of a million people.

You have chosen to resolve the dilemma by ditching the claim that god is love. In doing so you are in harmony with pre-exile worhsippers of Yahweh but you are left with a god who is all-powerful, all-knowing and a total tyrant. You still have theism but as far as ethics go your god is on a par with Zeus or Thor. Surely the whole point of being god is being worthy?

11. Who are we to judge god?

Response - You have unhitched the word "love" from any meaningful definition. We may think we know what love means but god demonstrates that we have not the slightest idea. Love could just as easily mean the capricious anihilation of a quarter of a million innocent people. You destroy our ability to make moral judgements. "Good" is whatever pleases god from moment to moment. Mass destruction is just as morally good as altruism and self-sacrifice.

Ethics are a matter of divine fiat. The value of human life is trivialised.

In defending god you have reduced him to a celestial Pol Pot who may choose on a whim to eradicate our lives in the manner of the killing fields of Cambodia. With apologists like you who needs atheists?

12. Suffering is good for us

Response - Lets try that out with a real tsunami victim. Please take a few moments to get down out your ivory tower and try to imagine what suffering really feels like for this woman. Perhaps this dead child is the only body she managed to recover from the aftermath. Lets imagine she has lost everything. Every family member, every possession every hope and dream and ambition she ever had. She is now condemned to months of living among devastation without adequate food or water or shelter.

Now go and tell her that your god sent the tsunami because she needed to learn empathy and compassion.

13. Suffering provides us - the observer of suffering - with the opportunity to learn compassion and empathy.

My response - Please refer to the answer to number 12 above. Try telling the victim that your god sent the tsunami so that you could learn to be a better christian. What astonishing hubris that diminishes the lives of a quarter of million people into a comodity to be used for your benefit.

14. Its a mystery.

Response - No response required. The intellectual dishonesty of faith is self-evident.

15. Suffering will be unimportant compared to eternal rewards

Response - This is ethically repugnant. It is an extreme example of "the end justifies the means" defense, so beloved of tyrants.

Like other theodices it is dehumanising by reducing humans to pawns in god's game.

Imagine that scientists developed a pill that would eradicate all unwelcome memories and create a feeling of bliss.

How would you judge a scientist who imposed the most horrific suffering on millions of people, as unwilling subjects of his experiment, but who gave all of them one of the magic pills when it was over?

Please feel free to propose more or to improve any of the responses.

• cofty
    cofty

I do believe God is not today preventing natural disasters because that is not what he is doing now - Pelican

If you are ever asked "what is a tautology?" here is the perfect example.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit