The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• zound
    zound

Pelican, do you think god's choice of not intervening was a moral one?

• cofty
    cofty

..and yet none of this gives you pause Pelican?

• Viviane
    Viviane

Cofty, I am done for the night (and almost out of posts), but I want to re-iterate my thanks to you for starting this thread. If nothing else, it comfirms the thoughts I have developed over the past several years. I cannot imagine having to take the position of a believer any longer, pretending black is white, up is down, imagination is just a valid as science to describe the natural world, that somehow killing millions is love, that claiming a text is holy and parsing to the word what is and isn't true and that other people talk to god (despite the fact they all say something different) and I should listen to them, despite a 100% track record of getting everything wrong ... I cannot even begin to imagine voluntarily giving myself a lobotomy like that.

So, thank you again. If nothing else, it has confirmed that the best thing I could have ever done for myself was to develop critical thinking skills.

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Zound,

I'm going to go to the Bible on this so please be patient.

When Lazarus' sisters sent word to Jesus that their brother was sick, Jesus stayed where he was even though he knew he could cure him. Then 2 days later when Jesus knew Lazarus had died he went. Martha said to him, Lord if you had been here my brother would not have died then a bit later Jesus was moved to tears even though he knew that in a few moments he would resurrect Lazarus. So here we have Jesus delaying and allowing Lazarus' death, Jesus knew much grief would occur with his own grief being added to it.

Was it moral for Jesus to allow Lazarus to die and to force his sisters to grieve so? We must make our own judgment on that.

Was it moral for God to allow so many to die in the tsunami? I don't know.

• zound
    zound

Good example, I forgot about that one.

I would say that it was not moral of jesus to do that. I get that he was trying to prove a point, but I think it's immoral to play with mortal beings as though they were toys.

What is your judgement on that?

• DS211
    DS211

Was it moral for God to have Abraham drag isaac up to be sacrificed...put him through the grief then basically just telling him that it was only a test of faith?

• DS211
    DS211

Sorry forget what i said im straying from the topic of this thread...sorry

• cofty
    cofty

Was it moral for God to allow so many to die in the tsunami? I don't know - Pelican

Faith-based thinking and dogma has robbed you of your ability to make very simple moral judgements.

Does that not scare you?

I used to think exactly as you do, Viviane and others would say the same. Reclaim your mind.

bed ...... ZZZzzzzzzzz

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Zound,

I believe the Lazarus account serves to teach. Whether it was moral, or right, of Jesus to do what he did I'm not sure we can say without a doubt it was.

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

cofty, for tomorrow morning, perhaps. ..

14. Its a mystery.

Response - No response required. The intellectual dishonesty of faith is self-evident.

I must respectfully disagree with this. Do I need to understand a "God" to have faith in her? Heck, I don't even understand my friends!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit