The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• bohm
    bohm

Thanks pelicanbeach, although i cannot agree with you on your conclusion, i have enjoyed the discussion as well.

i hope you remember the example i gave and see how well professional philosophers solutions for the problem of evil work in that specific example.

• caliber
    caliber
    "Natural" Evil is the result of natural processes that harm humans.

I still think natural harm would be a better term since to me evil requires intent to harm

The same forces that enable life to exist at all can come together in ways that destroy life.

he must be evil... just look at those eyes

guns don't kill people.... people do

gun accidents are not evil.... but storms and such are evil... well because they cause harm & God could stop them

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Jesus himself prophecied that earthquakes and famines would be a sign. If he's not causing them, who is? Satan? Is he now giving the sign?

It's all right there in the bible.

• tec
    tec

But I already proved that God causes the natural disasters. It's in the bible. Maybe you should read the bible rather than just your own comments.

Lol... that is a pretty weak standard of proof, Billy. No theist is allowed to use that as proof, but an atheist is?

Before you go ahead and tell me that is what i use as proof... read some of my posts. Something is not true just because it is written in the bible.

I am afraid that i must be off for a spell now. Talk more later. But if you want to start a thread about the things that people do in the name of God, or the things that they attribute to him, and how we can know whether they are speaking truthfully or not... I will join in that as soon as I am able! I know we've had those threads before, but we have also had threads like this before. Looking forward to it if you want to have that discussion though.

Peace to you,

tammy

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Bohm,

Thanks, I will.

Pelican

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Something is not true just because it is written in the bible."

That I can agree with.

• cofty
    cofty

we have also had threads like this before - Tammy

I doubt we have ever had a thread on natural evil that wasn't hijacked by believers who would rather distract everybody with a question more to their preference.

I am determined to keep focus on this thread and any help to that end is much appreciated.

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Cofty,

I doubt we have ever had a thread on natural evil that wasn't hijacked by believers who would rather distract everybody with a question more to their preference.

Atheists hijack religious discussions all the time.

• bohm
    bohm

This thread is being meta-hijacked

• cofty
    cofty

Atheists hijack religious discussions all the time - Pelican

I don't count myself as part of any atheist club. I don't care what other people do who also happen to not believe in god.

I have looked back over the entire thread for your contirbutions Pelican.

You seem to have 3 points...

1. Humans do bad things too

2. Its a mystery

3. Suffering is for the best in the long-run

Is that a fair summary?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit