The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• KateWild
    KateWild

15. God is not Anthromorphic

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

When I said "We" I didn't nessisarily mean the specific person suffering....

You show those ugly cases of suffering. Let me ask what are YOU doing about? I know it is often very hard for me to step out of my confortable life. I myself am often indiffernet to suffering.

Early in the bible the question is asked "Am I my brothers Keeper" then the whole rest of the bible is the answer to that question.

Untill You, I and the whole human race learns to step up and show compassion to our fellow man, and do everything WE can to make the suffering stop, we have no right to blame "God" for our suffering.

Thanks for the warm welcome, don't feel a need to treat me to gently I love a good spirited discussion on matters of Faith Philosphy and Reason. It seems as though I have found a community that can have a reasonable and rational discussion about just about anything.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I love a good spirited discussion on matters of Faith Philosphy and Reason-LS

Even better, I have to say I am not indifferent to suffering and I help as much as I can, I care about why you are posting. What is your story LS, why are you here today?

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

we have no right to blame "God" for our suffering. - Little Socrates

You have fallen back on number 7 which was answered already...

Measuring the morality of god against that of a human tyrant is setting the bar rather low for god don't you think?

Imagine you knew about the earthquake under the Indian Ocean the moment it happened on Boxing Day morning 2004. You were sitting at a desk with a big red button marked "Stop Tsunami"

You knew for a certainty that a quarter of a million people would die violent deaths in the next hour if you do nothing.

You would you press the button and so would I. Our morals, our compassion and empathy, our love and goodness is vastly superior to your god.

We can judge and unless we do we are morally bankrupt.

• cofty
    cofty

LS - I think you also missed number 13...

Suffering provides us - the observer of suffering - with the opportunity to learn compassion and empathy.

My response - Try telling the victim that your god sent the tsunami so that you could learn to be a better christian. What astonishing hubris that diminishes the lives of a quarter of million people into a commodity to be used for your benefit.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Whats your response to 15. cofty?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Goodnight all I will check in tomorrow for my answer. Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

15 isn't a theodicy Kate so it doesn't qualify for number 15

• KateWild
    KateWild

Wel it's Einstiens theology, I can philosophise about what I wish. Goodnight xx

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Yes I know I would want to press that big red stop button...

However in the long run are you positive that it would create a better world? Could there be unforseen consequences?

To me it seems as though your argument against the exisistance of God is like this "If I really think about I am sure I could invent a world better than this one. If there is a God, God must be greater than I. Since I could create a better world than God could there must be no God"

Can't our own self confidence in our own rationality become like an idol?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit