The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• KateWild
    KateWild

Sorted, thanks Kate-cofty

No not really their all the same point. Being god is a so and so if he exists. He just not human. Are bee's awful just because they don't care about other bees?

Kate xx

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I wonder what lessons this poor child has learned from the almighty. What was it that Jesus said about birds again?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Suffering says very little about the nature of God but is tell us alot about OUR nature.

If there was a god entity, its allowing suffering would show that it is indolent and uncaring. Any being who has the power to stop suffering and doesn't is demonstrating a completely reprehensible attitude. Furthermore if that being then demands undeserved worship it is a delusional despot.

BTW welcome to forum Little Socrates.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

Umm I hope you never put me and pat robinson in the same sentance again, god is love, but its not out weighed by his other attritubes.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Any being who has the power to stop suffering and doesn't is demonstrating a completely reprehensible attitude=cantleave

So you admit God has the power to stop suffering, good start. How do you know God has the power? Is it because he is powerful enough to create the universe and time and space as we know it?

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

I have actually heard this argument before but in a slightly different form. It was made by the British philosopher Richard Swinburn.

I shall make it number 13.

13 - Suffering provides us - the observer of suffering - with the opportunity to learn compassion and empathy.

My response - Please refer to my answer to number 12 above. Try telling the victim that your god sent the tsunami so that you could learn to be a better christian. What astonishing hubris that diminishes the lives of a quarter of million people into a comodity to be used for your benefit.

• cofty
    cofty

I hope you never put me and pat robinson in the same sentance again, god is love, but its not out weighed by his other attritubes. - Unstop

Actually Unstop your argument was pure Pat Robinson so you may want to think it through.

If your god is love, then love isn't a hat that he can take off and replace with his vengeful hat, while he randomly smites a quarter of a million people, and then put his love hat back on.

Everything he does must be love or he is not worthy of the title.

You still have the problem of explaining how the destruction of a quarter of a milliion innocent people is an act of love.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

Cofty, all those scammers can usr the bible correct, sometimes.the bible says a lot about god that I can't explain, iy says he has always existed hoe can anyonr really grasp that?As with the flood of noah, and others as a human I cant graspt somethings. I'm glad I'm not the judge of the living and the dead.

• cofty
    cofty

.the bible says a lot about god that I can't explain - Unstop

At last we have hit bedrock.

Faced with the meaningless death of a quarter of a million innocent men, women and children, and having tried out multiple failed theodicies we finally arrive at..

14. Its a mystery.

My response - No response required. The intellectual dishonesty of faith is self-evident.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I have actually heard this argument before but in a slightly different form. It was made by the British philosopher Richard Swinburn.-cofty

What argument is that cofty, the pursuit of science and the study of nature, even human nature and suffering leads to religion? Therefore we simply cannot adopt an anthromorphic stance to God, a German philosopher made a point similar to this, guess who I will give you 3. Lol Kate xx

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit