The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• Viviane
    Viviane

I am not obliged to respond to every comment. I have ignored comments that were just rude or meaningless. I have ignored comments that are simply trying to draw out responses that can be misused.

Of course you aren't, but I have noticed that you have started completely ignoring my responses which point out clearly the logical inconsistency of your arguments and the logical conclusion if your process of decision making was used.

Of course, I won't stop responding to your comments, because this isn't for you.

• jgnat
    jgnat

*popcorn munching*

I am revisiting this thread to share another observation from Haidt, "When discussions are hostile, the odds of change are slight. The [intuitive mind] leans away from the opponent, and the [rational mind] works frantically to rebut the opponent's charges. But if there is affection, admiration, or a desire to please the other person, then the [intuitive mind] leans toward that person and the [rational mind] tries to find the truth in the other person's arguments." P 79, 80.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

FG: This thread was supposedly against God on the basis that if he existed he would be inconsistent with his own rules.

No, it started with Cofty relating how a Pastor tried to convince him God is real by using fallacious, inconsistent and incoherent arguments.

It's more about the realization that there really is NOT any compelling evidence that God exists; and how--in response to tragedy--humans make up lame arguments to try and explain why God doesn't prevent them.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I do love coming here and helping someone with a bit of science, or medicine.

More recently the athiest, informed and scientfic (including christians) have started to prevail here an there are far better communicators than me able to help out.

I have become quite frustrated with self appointed experts here, I could argue that I have legitimate frustration in someone peddling nonsense for their own ego's sake, but we have all done it, even if we don't mean to. Also because I know JW's wander the boards as I used to, I get caught up in petty arguments, compelled to pursue answers to ongoing silly debate in the hope of persuading the anonymous readers.

My time here is limited anyway due to the new rules on using the internet as a doctor. In truth maybe I am getting too frustrated and caught up with people peddeling their nonsense and I just can't spend my time debating them online, As I mentioned, rules dictate that qualified doctors have to use their actual name now when talking on forums online or using twitter etc. I have no issue with that, but I would not be able to talk as freely about the religion and I would be on eggshells.

I never thought I would do one of these "hello world, look at me I am leaving", they always seem unnecessary, but I think it is time and rather than send 50 PM's or start a thread, this will do and it is an appropriate thread to go on, with morality and intellignce gaining victory over doctrine and man made myth.

Have a good, healthy, eventful, productive life people...... be happy :D

Snare x

Ps It has been emotional x

• cofty
    cofty

Snare, seriously going to miss you. Im away for weekend but please check your PMs Monday. I will send you FB or email details. Please become a great doc.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

snare&racket Your posts have been educational, your logic faultless, you passion and energy inspiring.

You have stated your reason for leaving and I will miss you. Thanks.

All the very best.

Glad

• KateWild
    KateWild

Snare,

I am both happy and sad. All the best with your career and have a happy future. Well done for your achievments so far. Well done love Kate xx

• humbled
    humbled

very good, sir.

pm sent,

Maeve

• Viviane
    Viviane

Snare, what is this law about posting with your real name if you are a doctor? What country imposes this?

• Simon
    Simon

I think it's if you identify yourself as a Dr.

If you want to post on a kite forum as Mr Kite and that isn't your name then it's OK as long as you don't say you're a Dr.

Probably to protect against rogue medical advice being given or assumed.

We'll certainly miss you if you decide to go though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit