The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Snare dont go man, there's no need and you are a frickin awesome poster.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Cofty: I have been following this thread from the start.

I was reminded of my reasoning as a JW.

I remember actually saying that our death doesn't matter because it is temporary. Death was always likened to sleep. The dead person would not even notice because when they woke up it would be in paradise. They would not have to experience any more pain.

I always felt it was harder on the survivors, but I was told that it was a test to prove to Satan that we will serve god no matter what. It was our job as J Ws to bring the hope to sufferers so they would experience paradise.

I after reading your summaries and rebuttals I find myself cringing at my glib responses. I sincerely believed it.

I never realised how callous and demeaning that reasoning was until you put a human face on it: the survivor of the tsunami.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

S&R Don't give up. People do pay attention to rational arguments. It is helpful to have people on the board who are willing to challange inaccurate information.

I have enjoyed your posts.

• cofty
    cofty

I never realised how callous and demeaning that reasoning was until you put a human face on it: the survivor of the tsunami. - Miss Fit

It's an interesting quirk of human psychology that we more easily engage with the suffering of one individual than with a quarter of a million victims. This is why charities have changed tactics in recent years. Their publicity material usually features a single victim rather than overwhelming statistics.

Whatever reason we give to excuse god's inaction must work if we were to present it to the lady in the photograph. If we would be embarassed to say it to her then it is probably Ivory Tower bullshit and we should think again.

Take a look at the answers that have been proposed in this thread and consider whether they would seem reasonable to her...

• LV101
    LV101

You will certainly be missed - keep care and best to you.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

Cofty are you going to do a final summary? It looks like no one could present a satisfying answer.

• never a jw
    never a jw

I just needed to add my own comment to such a popular thread. Cofty is a very thoughtful, smart and knowledgeable guy... but over 100 pages? I rather read a book than go through every page here. I doubt any opening comment merits 102 pages of comments.

Hey S. R. you go save lives with your other skills. Thanks for your great posts. No offense intended to anyone, but there's a time when all of us have to move on. Many of us sooner or later have to spend less time here and more time befriending the people close to us, people whose face we recognize and whose speech we can hear. This is a great site. possibly the best I have ever visited, but writing and reading here doesn't compare to the human interaction where you can use all your senses.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Snare, sorry to see you go, you have really contributed to the board with well thought out and expressed posts. I understand that it can at times seem futile to keep a debate going with those who are incapable of honest discussion. I like to think about the fact that there are many who read these posts but don't comment, and if I engage with idiots, it's only for those who might be lurking. But in the end it can still get you down, you can only take so much stupidly. I tend to leave JWN for years at a time, because eventually the negativity gets me down, even if I am just lurking.

Check back in from time to time.

• cofty
    cofty

Cofty are you going to do a final summary? MissFit

Yes thanks for the reminder. I am going to add the JW answer and the Pat Robertson answer for completeness.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Sounds like a 'Doc' u drama, my little Snare drummer boy?

Sorry to see you go...

Wishing you All The Best!!

Rippy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit