The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Flamegrilled that is a dishonest cop-out.

The tsunami deals a fatal blow to thesim. You deny this obvious conclusion because you assert you have evidence that there is a loving god despite his health and safety record.

I have worked hard to keep this thread on topic and mostly suceeded. But it's now page 95 and we have now reached a point where you have said nothing but "its a mystery" for 50 pages. The only logical way forward is to now allow you free reign to tell us why you think it is rational to dismiss the evidence of the tsunami. I have told you repeatedly that there are no terms or conditions attached to that invitation.

Stop with the bluster.

• cofty
    cofty

It's perfectly reasonable when a person's guilt has not been proven to refer to his or her crime as "alleged".

You have never offered a single word in defense for the idea that god is not responsible for the devastation of the tsunami.

• KateWild
    KateWild

The tsunami deals a fatal blow to thesim-cofty

I am afraid I disagree, the blow is not fatal, those that believe in God and a creator may have a blow I admit. However the scientific world has much to offer a theist, or any type of believer. Sadly though many have reached the conclusion that although God exists, God is indifferent. Hence the blow, still a blow is not fatal cofty.

Kate xx

• caliber
    caliber

You have spent 50 pages saying "its a mystery" while studiously avoiding the word. ~~Cofty

Acknowledging that there are missing pieces to a puzzle does not make the entire thing a mystery. If it did we would have to write-off some very important areas of human knowledge. ~~Flamegilled

I think to use the word mystery implies complete unknown and therefore to lack in any practical course or informed decision or choice...
    .. to infer no purpose on God's part , but only death and destruction.
    And therefore to cast it all off as some outdated computer !!!

• Viviane
    Viviane

My whole argument is that there is no logical reason to reach the conclusion that Cofty is promoting based upon appearances. I therefore phrased my reply accordingly.

That is logically invalid since the information you allege may exist is something we couldn't understand even if there was a way we could find out if it existed!

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Then forever after I will refer to your alleged god. jgnat

Absolutely you should do that. In fact you will see that I qualified quite a few of my early comments in this thread by "if he exists". I just dropped it after a while when I saw that few were interested in the strict logic of the argument, and more interested in blasting other peoples' world view based upon an incomplete set of information.

• cofty
    cofty

I think to use the word mystery implies complete unknown - Caliber

Well we are still waiting on even a glimpse of an answer to how a loving deity can permit the needless drowning of a quarter of a million innocent people.

Seems like a mystery to me.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Acknowledging that there are missing pieces to a puzzle does not make the entire thing a mystery. If it did we would have to write-off some very important areas of human knowledge.

No one claimed it did. However, the specific component that was the topic of this conversation IS a mystery and it's good to see you acknowledging that's what you've been saying all along.

It's a mystery.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

@Cofty

Those who died in the Tsunami - do you KNOW beyond any possibility of error where they (as conscious beings) are now, and/or where they may be in the future?

If so, how do you know?

Remember, we are NOT talking about probability here. We are ONLY talking about what we know for a certainty.

[I will just add that this is in no way a subtle attempt to preach. In fact I don't have a firm opinion of the answer. I just want to see how you logically respond, and whether you allow any room for error in your response. If not, then the "how do you know" portion becomes very important.]

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

P.S. Try to respond without too much bluster to mask the answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit