The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Adam are you seriously suggesting that the earthquake that happened 19 miles below the Indian Ocean may have been caused by human activity?

The tectonic plates in this area had been pushing against each other, building pressure for thousands of years – they continue to do so and will likely cause underwater earthquakes and tsunamis in the future.

The shifting of the earth’s plates in the Indian Ocean on Dec. 26, 2004 caused a rupture more than 600 miles long, displacing the seafloor above the rupture by perhaps 10 yards horizontally and several yards vertically. As a result, trillions of tons of rock were moved along hundreds of miles and caused the planet to shudder with the largest magnitude earthquake in 40 years.

30 kilometres below the seafloor, a 1200 km stretch of the Indian plate was thrust up to 20 metres under the Burma plate, raising the seafloor by several metres

A 1,200km section of the earth’s crust shifted beneath the Indian ocean and the earthquake released stored energy equivalent to over more than 23,000 Hiroshima bombs.

The Los Angeles Times reported: “Miles beneath the waters of the Indian Ocean, a massive piece of the Earth’s crust had heaved, buckled and shifted. Along a fracture zone hundreds of miles long, it moved, releasing pent-up energy equivalent to the power of more than 1,000 atomic bombs.

• strypes
    strypes

There will probably be several more pages posted to this thread by the time I complete this post. Currently we are at 62 pages.

For the "off topic" stuff..

I don't remember who, but about ten to twenty pages back someone branded me with being a part of a forum that I visited for like a week several years ago..(long time ago and I vaguely remember it). What I remember about it was that I was invited there, posted a couple of comments and was berated because I was not a JW and didn't belong there. I didn't respond then and just "faded" more like I only read the stuff sent to me from the admin in email for a time and when the emails stopped that was the end of it for me. I only visited that site for about a week. The emails for another week or so.

To Mark me as in league with that website is like smoking pot at a weekend celebration in 1984 and being convicted of being the drug lord of Colombia. The elephant in the room is that to lump me in with someone that I don't even know is to tell the others that what I have to say is not worth listening to or considering. Marked. Whatever...

I wasn't ever a JW. I loved (still do) someone that was born in to the cult. I joined sites like this one to try to understand him. I got an education and I know TTATT. It took a while as I was so wanting to find common ground until I realized the common ground should have been at Calvary.

With the JW "jesus" not being Jesus but some belittlement (made less than) of God in the flesh and the Holy Spirit too, I discovered there is no common ground. The God I love is not the mean spirited tyrant of the watchtower. My Jesus is not their "Jesus/Michael" and the Holy Spirit is my best friend, not some "active force" likened unto electricity. It would be great if there were something that I could say or explain for you people to know Him as I do. For that to happen it would take faith on your part to be born again of the Holy Spirit of God. When all is said and done, knowing Him is all that will matter. (Matthew chapter 7).

So on to the *topic* at hand and the other elephant in the room.

Cofty is facing his mortality. He desparately wants others to affirm his disbelief so he has threads like this one to have others side with him in his hatred of God. His suffering is what this is really all about. The Boxing Day tsunami is just a means to an end to justify to himself that God is not good or he wouldn't have allowed the suffering that insued or allowed him to suffer as he has. Once, long ago, Cofty had posted that when a Christian friend of his died that he lost faith because he couldn't understand why God would allow his friend to die in a farming accident and leave his friend's wife a widow. That was when he quit the church.

So lets do the math..

Cofty is celebrating being being free from religion for ten years, the boxing day tsunami was December 26, 2004, so he left "religion" a year before the tsuami...

Religion doesn't save you. Only Jesus, the real Jesus, can. Jesus suffered, died, and rose again for the purpose of reconciliation so we can have a loving relationship with Him and escape the wrath that is coming. And it is coming.

I posted Job 36:15 earlier in this thread. It is the answer to why God allows suffering. Y'all can carry on with your believer bashing and God hating but it will not deter His plan.

Job 36:15 "God teaches men through suffering and uses distress to open their eyes."

This is love,... this is hate,... we all have a choice to make.

Post Script:

Just a quote from Cofty way back on page one... and a mention that the Boxing day tsunami was nine years and three weeks ago...

My response - It was casued by the movement of tectonic plates. Earthquakes are an intrinsic part of how the earth was made. They have been happening for billions of years. It would have been trivially easy for him to quell the beginning of the tsunami wave long before anybody even knew it had happened. He chose to do nothing except watch the wave wipe out a quarter of a million lives.

At this point he impressed me with his honesty. He said explicitly that he had no answer. He said that as christians they ought to have answers because people do ask these sort of questions. I suggested that theology has had more than long enough to think of one.

In retrospect it was appropriate to have that conversation on the 10th anniversary of the event that marked the end of my journey from faith to reason.

Another thing ..

I know that my post will be picked apart, I will be accused of "preaching", the beliver bashing will insue and what I have said will be dismissed as lunacy. It is my hope that maybe, just maybe, someone will have their eyes opened and repent before they face the wrath of God.

• strypes
    strypes

Hey, only one page.. I'm shocked!

• cofty
    cofty

Cofty is facing his mortality. He desparately wants others to affirm his disbelief so he has threads like this one to have others side with him in his hatred of God. His suffering is what this is really all about. The Boxing Day tsunami is just a means to an end to justify to himself that God is not good or he wouldn't have allowed the suffering that insued or allowed him to suffer as he has. - Strypes

The thread started because a pastor tried to convert me on Christmas eve.

(Edited to add - Correction, it was New Years Eve)

I don't hate god any more than I hate Harry Potter. They are both fictional characters.

I am not so silly as to think the tsunami proves there is no god. The death of a personal friend did make me reflect on my faith and began a process that culminated in the tsunami over a year later. The reasons for my atheism go far beyond the question of suffering.

"Natural evil" deals a fatal blow to christian theism. The Asian tsunami is only one exmple of many that we could refer to. It happens to be one that gave me pause 9 years ago.

I do not discuss my illness anywhere apart from the one thread where I shared it. For you to bring it into a debate is beneath contempt. You are the person who admitted your reaction was to pray for my demise.

It is my hope that maybe, just maybe, someone will have their eyes opened and repent before they face the wrath of God.

What a hateful way of thinking. I really do despise what theism does to the human mind.

• strypes
    strypes

beliver = believer..

• Twitch
    Twitch

Bring on the wrath of god and smite the unbelievers!

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

That is possibly the most hate inspired post I have read on this site in nearly 10 yrs strypes.

(your words prove) You are a nasty piece of work.

• strypes
    strypes

Quoting Cofty from previous post...

The thread started because a pastor tried to convert me on Christmas eve.

Quoting Cofty from page one..

Yesterday evening my wife and I were invited to friends house for New Year's eve. We met them when I was a christian and we have kept in touch. They had a few other friends there as well, including the new church pastor and his wife. I was introduced to them briefly 10 years ago but didn't know them well. They were at the local bible college back then and moving to a church in Glasgow.

Christmas eve... New Year's eve... well Cofty is this another of your I am a scotsman / I am not a scotsman logic?

• cofty
    cofty

I am incandescent that she tried to use my health to score cheap points.

There is no depth some believers will not stoop to.

• strypes
    strypes

Love... hate... we all have a choice to make....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5J7vis9GV8

"Truth be told it doesn't matter if they are sorry or not..."

I choose to forgive

*wins*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit