The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• zound
    zound

Sorry, I'm not clear on your particular beliefs, whether you take a literal view of the bible or not - but if so, the bible seems to undicate he sees everything:

"the very hairs on our heads", "his understanding knows no limits", "For he looks to the ends of the earth and sees everything under the heavens" etc etc.

The point I'm making is, if he was aware of some of the extreme suffering that is going on then I wouldn't call him intervening a "personal concierge service" - I'd call it empathy, kindness, compassion.

Just as if any normal moral person who was asked by someone random to solve his maths problems for him has no moral obligation to do so, yet if someone walks past a house and can hear a young girl screaming for help from the basement - they have a moral responsibility to help in the best way they can.

Edited to add some more verses:

By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything.

And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

• cofty
    cofty

Eden - You are offering two defenses of god, one new and one that we have covered already.

The new one is surprising.

God isn't entirely "all-knowing", in the sense of being all the time aware of everything that goes on everywhere

This is an example of a cowardly retreat into deism. Tammy did the same by claiming that could was unable to prevent the tsunami.

If your god is too absent-minded to notice a tsunami big enough to kill a quarter of a million people, or if he is too weak to stop it then he is unworthy to be called god. This is the god of pre-exile Old Testament who had to go down to earth to find out what was going on or who was unable to defeat an army that had iron chariots.

The question in this thread is how theism deals with an knowing, powerful, loving god failing to stop a tsunami. If your worship a lesser god then this question isn't a problem for you.

The other answer you have offered is the one that has become the most common answer in this thread. Essentially it denigrates the importance of human life in favour of a future one. It is a dehumanising cult of death. It is number 15...

15. Suffering will be unimportant compared to eternal rewards

Response - This is ethically repugnant. It is an extreme example of "the end justifies the means" defense, so beloved of tyrants.

Like other theodices it is dehumanising by reducing humans to pawns in god's game.

Imagine that scientists developed a pill that would eradicate all unwelcome memories and create a feeling of bliss.

How would you judge a scientist who imposed the most horrific suffering on millions of people, as unwilling subjects of his experiment, but who gave all of them one of the magic pills when it was over?

Summary so far...

• caliber
    caliber

How would you judge a scientist who imposed the most horrific suffering on millions of people, as unwilling subjects of his experiment, but who gave all of them one of the magic pills when it was over?

impose.. to cause (something, such as a tax, fine, rule, or punishment) to affect someone or something by using your authority. : to establish or create (something ..

So Cofty is saying God has not responded to my ultimatum within my set time and framework therefore he

is evil and uncaring and has actually imposed suffering upon many. There is no time left ...the time to judge God is right now. Inaction

must be accounted for right now ! There is no other way to view it, God is taking some sort of perverted joy in our suffering then , making empty distant promises !

This calls for immediate answers from his followers. The scripture below is meaningless ..you are not allowed to use it as a reason or answer

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Why use the word imposed..... do you actually beleive that God caused the tsunami or did you use the word for greater shock value ?

• cofty
    cofty

Calber. The question is how theism accounts for god's actions on Boxing Day 2004. The god of theism knows everything and therefore can justly be accused of imposing "natural evil" on the world.

If you want to follow Eden and Tammy in resorting to a form of deism, where god could not predict the event, or was too incomptent &/or weak to stop it, then that is a defense we have dealt with.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

This debate is very similar to the long running thread that Tammy gave a link to. The reason this thread has gone on for so long, is that the question asked has not been answered. I take it we are talking about the failure of the god of the bible, Jehovah or Yahweh, Jesus’ father, to warn humans about the tsunami on 26th Dec 2004.

Inevitably it comes down to the question of whether such a god has ever existed. There are Biblical accounts of this god of talking to humans and sending angels. Either these events happened or they didn’t. We ask, does god still talks to humans and sends angels? How can we know one way or the other? According to the bible, angels are messengers, and Jehovah has myriads of them. Did he send one with a message that could have prevented the needless death of a quarter of a million innocent men, women and children in the tsunami on 26th Dec 2004. We all agree that the answer, sadly, is NO. Has he sent an angel at any time in the last 1900 years? The answer again is, not as far as we know. In view of this, is it unlikely that the tales of angels are anything more than folklore.

The matter would normally end there with some choosing to believe regardless of the plain fact that we have no evidence that angels ever existed. Except for one thing - some Christians, who are alive today report that one of god’s sons, Jesus, regularly talks to them; often about trivial matters. For those of us who have left behind the illusionary world of the Watchtower Society and concluded that invisible gods do not exist, this is a most extraordinary claim. As we all know, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

For those that claim Jesus still talks to humans, we must ask again; why he does he not talk to humans and warn them about major disasters, such as the in the tsunami on 26th Dec 2004, giving them a chance to flee. Could he not spare just one messenger-angel for an hour; or send a million messages in a few second via Google?

It is perfectly fair and reasonable to ask those that hear Jesus voice why he did not issue a warning to humans - his own creation. In the absence of a rational answer, the only conclusion we can come to, is that the god of the Bible has never spoken to humans and has no angels to use as messengers. The only intellectually honest conclusion is that he does not exist.

Atheists do not need to prove to others that such a god does not exist, but we do at times feel a moral obligation to publicly state that we no longer wish to be associated with the biblical myth of Jehovah of armies.

I would like to add that most atheists did not start out with a desire to remove all gods from their life. Quite the opposite! Most atheists on this board made many sacrifices and spent many years seeking, worshiping and trying to please the god of the Bible and follow his son Jesus. Many honest seekers of truth have come to the conclusion that if the god of the bible, and his son, existed and still spoke to humans, he would have issued a tsunami warning on 26th Dec 2004 - instead the silence is deafening.

Tammy, this post is not written specifically to you, though obviously, you are one of the Christians my comments will apply to. I say very little on this forum nowadays, rarely commenting on your posts; Cofty does well enough on his own. You post a great deal and have an influence on new posters who are looking for answers. The questions raised by this debate are too important for me to ignore.

Take Care - Trev

• cofty
    cofty

It seems to me that issuing a warning about the tsunami is fraught with problems. Rapid communication across thousands of miles of coastline around the Pacific Rim for a start.

That is why I have focussed on the simpler question of why god did not simply quell the embryonic wave long before any human was even aware it had happened.

If you have control of a vehicle that is heading for a large crowd its more sensible to appply the brakes than the horn.

I am strongly opposed to the idea of inviting Tammy to talk about her voice-hearing/spirit medium cult on this thread. I would consider it to be trolling.

• adamah
    adamah

Gladiator said-

According to the bible, angels are messengers, and Jehovah has myriads of them. Did he send one with a message that could have prevented the needless death of a quarter of a million innocent men, women and children in the tsunami on 26th Dec 2004. We all agree that the answer, sadly, is NO.

AND

Except for one thing - some Christians, who are alive today report that one of god’s sons, Jesus, regularly talks to them; often about trivial matters.

Which leads to another possible apologetic:

Lacking the power to stop the tsunami, God tried to send a warning message to everyone's cell phones, but Jesus was hogging up all the Heavenly bandwidth to educate some of God's chosen privileged children about his secret recipe for resurrection (mixing baby's teeth with "living waters"), so God only got an "insufficient bandwidth" error message and his e-mail returned as "not sent"; hence God couldn't warn the 250k victims about the "killing waters" headed for them.

Adam

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

cofty - The point I was making is that although Christians maintain that the god of the bible no longer tampers with the activities of the natural earth, they claim that he does still talk to some humans. If this is the case he could have, at the very least, whisper into the minds of those at risk or bellow a warning from the heavens. Your plan sounds better!

adamah - That's far-out man.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty, let me go back to what I said previously. God CAN know everything if he chooses to become familiar with such thing. Doesn't mean he is informed at all times of everything taking place in every corner of the physical universe. After all, he also has a spiritual realm to deal with. Hence why he decided to come down and personally appraise the situation with Sodom after hearing many unfavorable reports about it. So if he chooses to, there is no subject, no person, no knowledge that is impossible for God to know or not see. Again, if he chooses to get familiar with said person / subject.

What seems rather obvious to me is that God stepped aside from the scene and decided to stop interveining in the human affairs after Christ's resurrection, handing over all authority to the Son. Still, the Hope that He made available makes Him worthy of my worship.

Eden

• besty
    besty

@Edenone - pls tell me you are just making this up as you go along and you haven't actually thought it through?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit