The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Viviane

You probably need to read more carefully. Cofty WAS using impotent as an antoym for omnipotent. And then you subsequently supported him. And I quote from two pages ago:

Possibly not all-powerful.

What is the point of an impotent god?

Now perhaps you'd be kind enough to quote me when you say "You did say [he lacks the power]"

• humbled
    humbled

I have to leave the discussion for tonight..

But cofty---I ask your question back to you-- What's the point of an impotent God?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Reality cuts a path through supposition and belief. This discussion has reached a point where it is just shifting Teutonic plates. Debating and point scoring won’t bring back the 250,000 people who died in the tsunami.

It won’t bring the god of the bible back either; how could it - he wasn’t there.

• caliber
    caliber

Psalm 46:1–3

"God is our refuge and strength,
    a very present help in trouble.
    Therefore we will not fear though the earth should change,
    though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea;
    though its waters roar and foam,
    though the mountains tremble with its tumult."

The vastness of the universe, the power of nature even here upon earth should show us
    how puny we really are.... how uncertain our lives can be. May it lead us to seek God
    and to rely upon Him

• Viviane
    Viviane

It IS the antonym for omnipotent, flamegrilled. Sorry, I was messing with you a bit, I thought you realized that and were messing back with me. Ooops.

From www.thesaurus.com:

Antonyms for omnipotent

impotent
    weak

Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, Third Edition Copyright © 2013 by the Philip Lief Group.

And I already showed you where tyou wrote that God is possibly impotent, you just don't want to call a spade a space.

• adamah
    adamah

FWIW, 'impotent' is the antonym of 'omnipotent'.

It's easy to make the mistake of assuming that ruling out one automatically implies the other, but that's the 'fallacy of the excluded middle' (elimination of alternatives). Obviously there's a spectrum of choices lying between the two end-points.

The adjective 'omnipotent' NEVER appears in the Bible, since it developed long-after the Bible was written. So to say "God is omnipotent" is anachronistic, using a word which never appeared in the Bible (although the concept appears in scriptures which are translated as, "With God, all things are possible").

Adam

• Viviane
    Viviane

Gladiator, GIS for Teutonic plates:

• Viviane
    Viviane

Adamah, impotent CAN mean powerless, it also means unable to take effective action. I was using the latter, not the former.

I am not saying it's a good translation, but some Bibles, like the KJV 2000, does render Revelation 19:6 to contain the word "omnipotent", most others say "almighty".

• cofty
    cofty

Flamegrilled - are you seriously proposing that human activity may have caused the Asian tsunami?

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001

Unless we know for sure that fracking caused the plate shifting that caused the tsunami, you are just arguing an off-topic point, adamah. It's most likely the plate shifting for this tsunami was a natural thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit