The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Logically, it IS a valid argument, only it's a circular argument - Adam

A valid circular argument?

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Flamegrilled - are you seriously proposing that human activity may have caused the Asian tsunami?

Nope. I think I was clear that I wasn't proposing that human activity caused any tsunami, never mind about the Asian one specifically.

On the other hand neither do I think you have any special knowledge of exactly how much human activity effects any particular environmental variable.

• cofty
    cofty

You cannot defeat theism with logic by challenging the pieces separately as if they operate in isolation from each other, - Adam

Yes I know that but isn't it interesting what happens when you do challenge faith with logic?

The contrast becomes blatantly obvious - which is the point.

• Viviane
    Viviane

So what does this off-topic thing about human seismic acticity have to do with an impotent God that couldn't even warn people about a tsunami?

• cofty
    cofty

On the other hand neither do I think you have any special knowledge of exactly how much human activity effects any particular environmental variable

We know that earthquakes on the scale of the Asian tsunami have been happening for millions of years before humans appeared.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Viviene

Possibly not all-powerful.

What is the point of an impotent god?

The point about this comment was that it wasn't a logical response.

If someone comments that God might not be all powerful, it doesn't mean that the alternative is that he is impotent.

Cofty keeps making these leaps and so do you. Just because X does not equal Y, it doesn't mean that X automatically equals Z.

• besty
    besty

@flamegrilled

Therefore I am sticking to the point which is simply that the tsanami does not logically present a fatal flaw to theists.

Do you see a progression in theistic apologetics?

500 years ago heretics were burnt at the stake

100 years ago to deny God was social suicide

Today believers are reduced to a small lonely voice in the corner pleading for 'logical possibility'

Sunshine is a powerful disinfectant.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Impotent has more than one meaning, flamegrilled. This was already covered.

A God that can't enforce his will is impotent.

• cofty
    cofty

Unless we know for sure that fracking caused the plate shifting that caused the tsunami, you are just arguing an off-topic point, adamah.

Its what Adam does.

• adamah
    adamah

Cofty said- Flamegrilled - are you seriously proposing that human activity may have caused the Asian tsunami?

My, that's a rather quick response from someone who only minutes eariler claimed human activity couldn't POSSIBLY have any effect on causing earthquakes? Anyway, you can't automatically blame the 2008 earthquake on God, since per this Gizmodo article (on the FIVE ways humans can cause earthquakes):

http://gizmodo.com/5-ways-humans-can-cause-earthquakes-1480705519

Dams and reservoirs — 2008 Sichuan, China earthquake

It's just water, but, man, water is heavy. Large reservoirs of water created by dams have a long history of inducing earthquakes, from Zambia to Greece to India. The 2008 earthquake in Sichuan, China, that killed nearly 70,000 people was one of the most devastating in recent memory, and some scientists think it was triggered by the construction of the Zipingpu Dam nearby.

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit