The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Furthermore in applying this to the tsunami it assumes that God drowned someone, which is also not established.

Yes it is. See the post just above ^^^^

That would be true if we were not talking about the creator.

He made the earth in such a way that earthquakes were a certainty. When he put humans on earth he knew for an absolute certainty that he was condemning millions to violent death.

It was a sin of commission not merely one of omission

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

He made the earth in such a way that earthquakes were a certainty. When he put humans on earth he knew for an absolute certainty that he was condemning millions to violent death.

Not at all. You are assuming that all other variables that we observe are exactly what God (if he exists) intended. We can easily conceive of a planet full of seismic activity in which nobody is hurt.

Are there earthquakes and volcanos that affect nobody? Of course. Can we be certain that current seismic activity has no other explanation except that it has proceeded exactly as God intended? Of course not. In case you haven't noticed humans do interact with the planet.

Therefore it is not a logical certainty that putting human on earth was certain to lead to violent death.

• Viviane
    Viviane

In that case, flamegrilled, you are describing an ignorant and impotent God, not the one described in the Bible and worshipped by Christians. Who is this god you're describing?

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Viviane - please point to where I described either God's ignorance, or His impotence.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

And impotent was the right word in the way he used it. The reason it's even being discussed is that would NOT be the God of the Bible, the one Christians worship, if he is NOT all powerful, if he is impotent. Viviane

This is going off-topic but since I didn't start it ...

Since when is the definition of impotent "a being who is not omnipotent"?

• cofty
    cofty

Flamegrilled - I can't believe you said that. I can't thank you enough.

We can easily conceive of a planet full of seismic activity in which nobody is hurt.

Yes we can. Earthquakes happen because plate boundaries get stuck and huge pressures build up. When they suddenly release lots of people die violent deaths. It would have been trivially easy for god to design geology so that plates move past each other smoothly with nothing more than a pleasing tremor. He didn't.

Can we be certain that current seismic activity has no other explanation except that it has proceeded exactly as God intended?

Yes. The god of christian theism made the world the way he intended.

In case you haven't noticed humans do interact with the planet.

This displays a woeful ignorance of science. You don't get to invent your own facts. Humans have had absolutely zero influence on plate tectonics.

Since when is the definition of impotent "a being who is not omnipotent"?

The god of christian theism is omnipotent.

• humbled
    humbled

Doofdaddy--we were indoctrinated from the word"GO" to believe god had the power to fix anything---if he wanted to. I don't see it though.

Of course all we can do is guess as to why our prayers aren't answered. My guess is God doesn't have the power. It sucks, but what can I do?

The official church program had us trying to please a god that they couldn't separate from the OT--God of love AND punishment. None of their stuff adds up-- there are leaks everywhere in the theology-- we know they cooked the books. the more they patched the worse it leaked. But no worries, there are professional theologians to tell us what it means.

So I don't buy their story of god.

But we--WE--are able to love, to be good to others and be fair. So if there is a higher force, my guess is that god/good/the all/higher force----GOD is LOVE.

Love is all we have for sure--even ourselves--we have it. For anyone who is a NT theist, shouldn't that be enough without resurrection and all the trimmings? No guessing involved.

It would be wonderful to find out that there is a beautiful afterlife--especially for people who only suffer and die here on earth. we just don't know. But if there is love in your life, be grateful.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

The god of christian theism made the world the way he intended.

But as you are well aware a Christian theist does not believe that the current world exists as God intended. (This also applies to the first point)

Humans have had absolutely zero influence on plate tectonics.

An assertion which you have no possible way to support.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not asserting that humans have had an effect on plate tectonics. I am simply saying that you cannot support your absolute statement. The best you would be able to to do is provide some opinions on the matter.

• cofty
    cofty

Flamegrilled you have just hit bedrock of willful stupidity. I am embarrassed for you.

This is the sort of stuff we get from Tammy

• jgnat
    jgnat

God did it:

Genesis 1: 10 God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good. (NIV)

Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts. 2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. (NIV)

God undid it:

Genesis 3: 17 Then to Adam He said, "Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, 'You shall not eat from it'; Cursed is the ground because of you; In toil you will eat of it All the days of your life. (NIV)

Didn't last very long.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit