Where the need is greater: TTATT in Spanish

by Londo111 95 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In WT World, Spanish has to be the 2nd most popular language after English. And likely used in many areas where many do not have English as a 2nd language. All of Mexico, Central & South America, where there are many nations with large JW populations.

BTW -- I am constantly surprised here by the number of people all thoughout different parts of the world, whom are so articulate in English when it surely is not their 1st language. The cultural diversity adds so much to this site.

After English & Spanish, I would think Japaneese would be another at the top as well.

Doc

• problemaddict
  • Londo111
    Londo111

Japan has already stalled and is in a gradual decline, as it seems is Germany.

On Youtube, I noticed a VAT 4956 video in what seemed to be Japanese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQX4tox2BI

• Londo111
    Londo111

And here is one in Spanish...I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsPgdv-1aJ4

• whathappened
    whathappened

You know Crisis of Conscience is also available in Spanish. Be sure to link that to jwfacts English and Spanish. It could save thousands of peoples lives.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I would be very happy to have it translated. A few people have offered but nothing has eventuated, I guess it is overwhelming to tackle alone. If a few people were involved even just doing one article would be enough to start a separate website.

One of the difficulties is with the quotes. Older quotes were just in English, then they started to be released in Spanish but in a later edition of the Watchtower. It is only more recently that the quotes are synchronized. It will be important to note when a quote is a translation from English and when it is from a Spanish edition.

I am camping and don't have access to my laptop, but will PM each of you when I'm back to see what can be done.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Awesome news. I hope more translators will sign up by the time you get back.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

This site in spanish also,

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

To help reduce the translation work-load, I would recommend using Google translate or http://www.freetranslation.com/ to initially translate webpages from JWfacts and then have native Spanish speaking translators edit the final copy.

As far as handling English quotes, IMHO I would reference the English quotes, provide a Spanish translation, and include a comment on webpages to ask for images of WTBTS Spanish magazines to update webpages in the future.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Hi ABibleStudent,

Sometimes your suggestion works, although a lot of time it creates more work to correct the Google translate mistakes... at least imho.

I do agree with your suggestion of quoting the English ones and then translating... There are, as far as I know, NO existing translations of magazines before 1920 (?)... also lots of the early books do not exist.

ILTTATT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit