Is it wrong to play GTA 5?

by Brother Mike 59 Replies latest social entertainment

• Brother Mike
    Brother Mike

Is it okay to play as a Jehovah's Witness? Or is it just a conscience thing?

• blondie
    blondie

Well, jws pray for the end to come and the eternal death of over 7 billion non-jws including their minor children...........more violence in that than GTA....and the jw story is supposed to be real.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its wrong to play for anyone in spite of any background religious indoctrination.

These games are played by impressionable young teens, which inadvertently has shown that they

do have at times created acts of violence by a few of these people..

Its attractiveness comes out by just how openly rebellious the game portrays itself in its designed plot.

The games first creators were careless irresponsible 20 somethings, but after it was realized that the

first game was a million dollar success, more games were produced to create even more money $$$.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

As long as you don't get caught.

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

I think that SOME ( a small minority )of people are influenced negatively by games like this, but the vast majority of people recognise that it's just a game and would never transfer the actions from the game into real life. Same with telly.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Some take the viewpoint thats its OK if a few kids get killed in a school by young people who totally immersed themselves in violent video game

playing as long as they themselves had fun and thrills playing the game .

This might also be coming out toward the fact that 20 something adolescents know little about developmental human psychology

and human social behavior which derives itself from that individualized developed psychology.

The Columbine school tragedy that occurred a few years ago just to use one example.

• cantleave
    cantleave

The glorification of violence, immorality and dishonesty - probably a great big no-no.

Saying that, I had great fun playing GTA 4 round a friend's house when I was still an elder

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Finkelstein, there's been extensive studies into how video game violence affects players, and the answer is that they have no significant effect. That being said, individuals who are drawn to violence will feed their desires with violent movies and, yes, games too. Suggesting that games are the problem is like blaming the existence of radio technology for people who suffer from paranoid fantasies that the government is broadcasting mind-controlling radio signals.

To answer the original question, I wouldn't say it's a conscience matter, as JWs are continuously warned about violent entertainment, and GTA V is pretty much the epitome of violent video games.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I don't know. Invite your Congregation Coordinator over to play and see what he thinks ;)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Every time I see a young man jump to his injury in his attempt to elude justice, I wonder if there was a little toooo much gaming in his history.

Google Urban Parkour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRfUcwluabc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit